Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD-540 Won't fit in tray

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD-540 Won't fit in tray
    Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 10:17pm
Hello to all, I am new to this post and am having an issue doing a "Plug and Play" with a new IFD-540. In the plane I have installed a non WAAS Garmin GNS-530. The Avidyne will just not fit no matter how hard I try. My Garmin 530 slides into it's own tray with lots of room to spare, but not the IFD-540. It is extremely tight. I tried installing the 540 in the tray Avidyne sent me, and did finally get it seated with a lot of effort because of the tightness. Getting it back out was another story as it took a lot of pushing and pulling. It actually took two guys a lot of work to get the 540 back out. Extremely tight in its own case. I took the Garmin GNS 530 and seated it in the Avidyne tray with ease and room to spare. Long story longer, the assembled IFD-540 is just too big for the Garmin tray. Anyone experience something like this. I have contacted Avidyne but have not received an answer probably because of the holiday.
Regards
Bob Harris
Bonanza N8908M
Michigan
Bob Harris
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 10:59pm
the offices are closed because of hurricane Dorian.  You can try emailing tech support just in case someone is monitoring, but response could be delayed.  Just a thought, did you try sliding the 540 into the avidyne tray before the tray was installed in the aircraft?  
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Bob Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:43am
The Avidyne tray is not now installed. I just took it out of the box and tried to seat BOTH GPS units after the IFD540 would not fit in the Garmin tray installed in the plane. The Garmin fit the Avidyne tray just like it was made for it, but I was only able to get the IFD540 seated in its own tray after a lot of pushing and pully and a lot more work getting it out. It was so hard getting out I did not want to try seating it a second time. Again my conclusion is the trays are both fine and within a fraction size wise of each, but not the Avidyne 540. The sole reason for buying the IFD-540 was because of the advertised ease of installation. It is definitely not the Plug and Play they advertised.
Regards
Bob Harris
Bob Harris
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:04am
I can attest that it is as advertised, as can others on the forum.  Your best bet is for you and/or your installer to get with tech support once we are back up in operation.  Lots of pictures will help.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 10:12am
I can assure you that this particular IFD-540 is does not fit into the Garmin tray in the airplane and can barely be "Forced" into and out of the tray that was sent with the GPS. As an A&P with inspection authorization and FCC GROL, I have installed and removed many radios over the last 40 plus years and have come to the conclusion for some reason this GPS's dimensions are not as intended. If I understand correctly, the original idea was to make the IFD-540 the identical size as the GNS-530 to facilitate "Plug and Play". That is NOT what I am experiencing now. I have since found someone else's post that had a similar problem and they replace the Garmin tray. In this situation the Garmin 530 fits into "Both Cases or trays if you will" with ease But the IFD does not. My intention with this post, since I am still unable to get in touch with tech reps at Avidyne, is find out if anyone has experienced the same issue. Looks extremely easy on YouTube, but not in reality in my situation.
Regards
Bob Harris
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 11:40am
Bob,

There must be something different/wrong with your particular unit. Is is subtly bent or dented? What about the pins? Where is it jamming?

FWIW, my 540 slips in and out quite easily.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Sep 2019 at 11:41am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:49pm
The pins are all perfectly straight, there are no bent pins. I took pictures of them as well. That is also corroberated by the fact that my present gps, a Garmin GNS-530 can be removed and installed with absolutely no effort a all. I also installed a friends GNS-530 in my plane and had no trouble installing or removing that one as well. The only trouble I have is with the Avidyne IFD-540 I just purchased. To repeat, the Avidyne 540 will not go into my Garmin tray and can not be installed or removed from its own case without applying an extra amount of pressure. I can start to engage the pins on the 540 in its own case but can not pull it in with the 3/32 inch Allen wrench. I have to push on the edge and turn the screw a little and continue that until it is seated. When removing the 540 from its own case, the screw will not pull the gps out of its seated position. I have to turn the screw a little and pull on the edges until it is unseated. It took two of us to pull it out of the case they sent me, but my Garmin GNS-530 will slide in and out of that same case effortlessly. The only thing that doesn't fit in either case is the Avidyne 540.
Bob Harris
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:32pm
Yep, sounds like there is something different, or something not quite right, with the unit you have.

As Steve suggested, get hold of Tech Support once the hurricane passes. Report back what you find.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Sep 2019 at 1:34pm
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:19pm
My IFD540  fits a  bit snug in its tray.

I remove my audio panel unit which sits right above the IFD when I need to remove/ install  the IFD.

That frees up the IFD to slide in / out just a bit.   Once I have I have the IFD in,  I then re-install the audio panel.

Edited by edanford - 02 Sep 2019 at 6:20pm
Ed
scotthess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotthess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:46pm
Bob I think it's unlikely that your unit is somehow out of tolerance and larger than other units but possible. Could be that the Avidyne is a little larger than the Garmin and less forgiving of a tight fit because of another tray pressing on it, as someone mentioned. I seem to recall having this issue with my 440 and ended up adding a little more clearance by moving my audio panel up slightly. This was easy for me though because I installed a RadioRax STC and didn't have fixed tray attach points. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 10:35pm
Thank you for the input. That would seem reasonable, but when I tried to install the Avidyne in my plane, I took out the KX-155 below it and the KA-24 audio panel above it so I would not have anything pressing from either side. As I mentioned before, I could barely get the 540 into and out of its own case, but only with a great deal of difficulty, (and just once at that) and it was not even installed in the plane so there was no issues of pressure on the case from other installed equipment. I just took it out of the Avidyne box to see if it would fit, it didn't fit worth a darn. I just tried to slide the case over the GPS and it was all I could do to do that. When you look at the YouTube video of the installation, they can install one of these in less than one minute. The video shows the IFD-540 sliding right into the case effortlessly, just like my Garmin does in either case. The whole process is done in about 45 seconds. Thank you for the reply. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think the real key here is that the Garmin GNS-530 will slide into and out of "EITHER CASE" with no effort what so ever. What is so different about the Avidyne 540, why won't it, something without question is wrong.
Bob Harris
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 12:04am
Bob,

I think what folks are saying, is that in our experience this is not an inherent design issue. If there was one, it would have been apparent many thousands of units ago.

But, what we are also saying, and agreeing with you, is that there is something unique about your particular manufactured unit causing an issue. You need to get hold of Avidyne tech support.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Sep 2019 at 12:05am
scotthess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotthess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 12:06am
Another thought, perhaps the aluminum is galling as it’s going in? Are there any marks on the unit indicating where it’s rubbing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 7:44am
I would agree this is most likely not a design problem or it would have happen several times in the development stage of the GPS. The problem is, the IFD-540 is in a condition right out of the box that does not allow me to even install it. I am almost certain it is a manufacturing defect that happened when it was built. Regarding the galling, I looked very closely at the unit this morning and see that it has some kind of synthetic wear strips attached to it to make it easier to slide it. You could see marks on those strips that were made when it was slid in. These strips are attached to the unit with some kind of sticky material holding them onto the case. If that wear material, that is stuck to the aluminum case, is thicker than what the design calls for, it might cause a similar problem. I don't have the Garmin in front of me so I don't know if it has the wear strips as well. I hope to be in touch with Avidyne today and maybe get some answers. ADSB time is just around the corner and time is of the essence
Thanks again to all who have provided input.
Great Website
Bob Harris
Bonanza
N8908M
Bob Harris
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 6:51pm
Bob, you might measure the IFD540 outer dimension for some measurement comparison with the GNS530 and the IFD540 specification sheet.  There sounds like there is some difference.  This could help Avidyne support to troubleshoot the problem too. I replaced a GNS530 with an IFD540 with no issues.  Furthermore, I inserted the IFD540 into the GNS530 tray and then relocated the GNS530 in my panel in the IFD 540 tray.  Again no issues.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 7:53pm
Don,
Thank you for that reply. I have both units at home and will the some very good measuring equipment and come up with the actual measurements of both. I have been giving some thought to that exact idea. Keeping the 530 and installing it in the Avidyne case. I already know that if fits nicely. Thanks for the input.
Regards
Bob
Bob Harris
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 10:05pm
IIRC, the GSN530, unless it has TAWS, does not have the extra (fourth?) connector, and the 540 always does. Could that be the differentiator? Is there something not lining up with that connector?

* Orest
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 11:11pm

Edited by donemory - 03 Sep 2019 at 11:22pm
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 9:25am
Yes the 530 does not have the 4th set of connectors actually making it easier for the 540 to seat because the hole is empty. I tried again yesterday and the 540 appeared to seat into to the antennas, but stopped short of seating into the pin receptacles. I could only turn the screw 1 1/2 turns and it was a hard stop. I removed everything from the panel (Audio panel above and Nav Comm below) and tried to manipulate the 540 through the access holes and nothing. It would not move any more. Short of taking the whole thing out, which is not a good option. I need some input from Avidyne. It would appear that as of yesterday they are not in their office in Melbourne, Florida for obvious reasons. Thanks you the input any and all ideas are considered.
Bob Harris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:11am
IFD-540 won't fit Update. Chris, of Avidyne tech support called me and suggested loosening up the wire plugs in the back of the Garmin GNS-530 case. Then, I was able to install the IFD-540 in the Garmin case. I removed the 540 then tightened only one plug until it was fully seated. If you tighten all of the plugs at the same time, the unit will still not go in. It apparently allows each plug to move and allow the unit to seat. I would loosen each plug just enough to allow it to move when I installed the unit, remove the GPS and then tight the plugs separately. It is still a much tighter fit that the Garmin GNS-530, but it does now work. Long story short the wire plugs would not line up. I would like to add Chris is an extremely knowledgeable tech rep with a great deal of avionics background and extremely patient. Very easy to work with. She was even able to help me get the 540 programmed without even having the manual in front of her. Amazing lady great support.

Edited by AviSteve - 09 Sep 2019 at 3:44pm
Bob Harris
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:59pm
I second the comments on Chris!!!!!
Jim Patton
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:13pm
We are blessed to have Chris on board, and really, all the helpful & hard-working & reachable Avidyne staff. Nicely complements the first-rate equipment!

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:17pm
Yes great people can make a great company even better. I very much appreciated her help.   The IFD-540 appears to be functioning nicely now. A lot different than the Garmin.
Best Regards
Bob Harris
N8908M

Edited by AviSteve - 09 Sep 2019 at 10:46pm
Bob Harris
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:26am
+++1
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:20pm
Chris is the BEST.   

I have had great support from others on her team as well.  

My 540s fit a bit tightly in their trays (especially the last bit).   It takes a bit of a tig sometimes to get them moving to come out.    Not sure if it's the tray, or the connectors.  They are just TIGHT.    More of an issue removing than seating them on the way in.  

Ken

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic