Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GDL 52R compatability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gherb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GDL 52R compatability
    Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 12:23pm
Is the GDL 52R compatible with the IFD540, or any way to modify it to do so? I would like both XM weather and ADS-B in through the 540 and this has both, at a pretty good price point.

Short of that, what's the best/least expensive hardware solution to receive just XM weather in the 540? I have a Stratux I can use for ADS-B in on my iPad.

gherb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gherb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 4:45pm
Forgot to mention I have the AXP340 transponder with ADS-B out.
gherb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gherb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 5:31pm
Talked to Garmin and its a portable solution, but any idea if the IFD100 would be able to display the XM weather?

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 5:52pm
I have the GDL 69 for XM weather on my top box and ADS-B weather on my bottom box.   You cannot have both come in on the same box.
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:28pm
I have a GDL-52R in my wife's airplane.   It works great (ok, bluetooth has been unreliable on two flights, out of 50 or so.).   

Great little box.  It does have and RS232 data out feed for a Garmin 660 etc.  

I don't think that you can (legally) wire it up to a panel mount for XM or ADS-B data.  Whether it would work or not (illegally).  i doubt it.    But, I'm not sure.  

Basically, you cannot send portable data into the panel (with a few, well defined exceptions).   Such as flight plans from certain ipad software, etc. 

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 10 Sep 2019 at 5:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic