Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monitor Standby Com

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guenter_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monitor Standby Com
    Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 5:35am
Hello,

the Users Manual states:

Monitor Standby Com

If connected to an audio panel (e.g. Avidyne AMX240) that can support this function, the IFD will send the first standby com frequency audio to the audio panel for audio monitoring. This permits the pilot to monitor a 2nd com channel (e.g. ATIS) while still connected to the active com channel.

I have 3 questions:

1. Does the Garmin GMA430 support this function (directly or using the e.g. COM3 input when connected)?
2. Anyone with experience to that?
3. Does the audio on the monitored standby freq mute, when the active freq is receiving a message? 

Thanks to everybody
Guenter

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 8:31am
I have the AMX240. It required a separate channel to be wired up to the intercom. It does not mute the active channel.
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 3:09am
1) Yes
2) Mine is a GMA347 wired as you suggest
3) No
guenter_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guenter_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 3:32am
Thank you!!!
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 1:20am
I have a PS Engineering PMA450A audio panel wired to my IFD-540.  The Standby monitor on the IFD-540 is wired to a switched audio input on the PMA450A.  Being on a switched input allows me to turn the Standby off or on.  In my case, it is the unused ADF receiver audio input.  The PMA450A allows me to rename the input so that it reads STDBY COM (or something like that).  This solves the always on situation.

You can adjust the volume output of the Standby Com in the AUX-> Audio tab of the IFD-540A.  Also, some adjustment on the audio panel as well.

Take away is, use a switched audio input.
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by afassas afassas wrote:

I have a PS Engineering PMA450A audio panel wired to my IFD-540.  The Standby monitor on the IFD-540 is wired to a switched audio input on the PMA450A.  Being on a switched input allows me to turn the Standby off or on.  In my case, it is the unused ADF receiver audio input.  The PMA450A allows me to rename the input so that it reads STDBY COM (or something like that).  This solves the always on situation.

You can adjust the volume output of the Standby Com in the AUX-> Audio tab of the IFD-540A.  Also, some adjustment on the audio panel as well.

Take away is, use a switched audio input.

That's a great tool when you have only one comm radio, but for planes with two comm radios, the PMA450 offers other options as well that do not require additional wiring (nice if you are doing the plug and play deal where you slide out your old audio panel and slide in the PMA450 with no further work needed).

A PMA450's "IntelliAudio" feature does not require any additional wiring or switching.  Depending upon your menu selection for the feature, you can be listening to COM2, which will auto-mute if there is audio on COM1.  COM2 comes right back when COM1 goes quiet.  Or you can set it so you hear both at the same time (as you can with any audio panel).  Or you can set it so that COM1 is in your left ear, and COM2 is in your right ear.  Or, if you like switching, you can still do that: push the COM1 button when you want to hear only COM1, push the COM2 button when you only want to hear COM2.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic