Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blue flags are VFR?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue flags are VFR?!?!?!
    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 12:58am
Why are Blue METAR flags VFR and Green MVFR????  Why is this different than every other implementation of Metar flag color coding I have ever seen?  Is my experience that limited or is Avidyne the anomaly?
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:35am
It's the same color coding as appears on the L3 Lynx screens, so Avidyne's colors are not unique.

To me, blue means Blue Skies, perfect VFR.  Green means you can still Go - the weather's not perfect, but probably good enough for VFR.  Yellow and red are IFR only.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 5:28am
This is required by the ADS-B spec. I can't find the exact AC at the moment (because it's 0400 local and I'm barely awake) but the flag colors, color of traffic symbols, etc. displayed by the Avidyne and Garmin panel-mount hardware follow that spec. Certified panel mount ADS-B displays must follow the spec, whereas uncertified displays (hi, Foreflight and FlyQ and Garmin Pilot and ...) don't have to. That's the discrepancy.
Flying_Monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 6:33pm
The Dynon HDX is installable in certified aircraft under STC. I have it in my Cherokee 6.  It displays VFR as green, MVFR as blue.  The government's own weather website uses BLUE for MVFR.  Is this really a spec/standard? If it is they really need to do a better job of getting the word out to the NOAA and other avionics manufacturers.  It's extremely annoying to me that the Avidyne unit shows inverse colors for blue and green while Foreflight, Skyvector, all other apps, the Dynon HDX, and the NOAA aviation weather.gov site all use the opposite.  Not sure why I am so annoyed!  Haha.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:50pm
it is part of the TSO for certified equipment. I went through this when we were working on the certification of the IFDs. For sure whoever wrote the TSO didn’t use common sense.

Dynon can be different because it isn’t certified to the same standard the IFDs are.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Flying_Monkey Flying_Monkey wrote:

The Dynon HDX is installable in certified aircraft under STC. I have it in my Cherokee 6.  It displays VFR as green, MVFR as blue. ...

Exactly, the Dynon HDX is not TSO'd. Different rule book altogether.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 08 Oct 2019 at 11:32pm
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 12:07am
I truly wish there was one standard (certified or not) that everyone would adhere to. It makes it very confusing for the pilot. This “non standard” drives me crazy when it comes to datalink radar display. For example, I can look at Foreflight and an area of weather will paint green. The same area will paint yellow on the IFD 540 and Red on the Aspen. 
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:48am
ISTR that the TSO has requirements for what reflectivity levels are assigned what display colors, too, but I'm on a commercial flight with crap wifi so I'm not going to look for it. Nonethless your point is well taken-- with multiple displays from different vendors in the cockpit, it's easy to get confused because of the lack of standardization.
Flying_Monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:33am
Thanks for the answers. I guess this is one of those things that will continue to annoy me forever! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic