Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KI 300

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KI 300
    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 4:28pm
Despite this being an Avidyne board, I'm wondering if anyone has installed the KI 300 (or knows anyone who has).  I am supposed to install this in Feb but recently heard from someone on the Mooney site that they "heard" there have been some issues with it.  Rather than depend on 2nd hand info, I'd like to talk to someone who has actually installed it.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 9:07pm
I’ve been searching for someone with first hand information too.  My calls to BK have gone unanswered too.  Don’t forget that the KI300 is based off the Sandia Quattro that has never been bug free with lots of reports of incorrect presentation of attitude - not something you really want in a primary instrument.  Additionally, if you are looking to have the KI300 drive a BK autopilot, you also need the companion box (KI310 I think) and I’ve not found anyone to confirm that it has been completed yet.

Unfortunately, you really don’t have a lot of options here, unfortunately.

Based on what BK did to all their dealers, I’ve decided to remove all BK products from my airplane and install something with a supported network.  The problem is so bad for instance, if you have a failed KI256, and are able to get an overhauled one, you still need someone with a KTS tester to align the autopilot, attitude indicator, etc. to have a reliable and proper install.  There are very few people with the KTS tester AND the legal paperwork to legally align the system.  Most of those are large shops specializing in turbine and twins, not small GA airplanes.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 9:27pm
I’ve spoken frequently with the King rep for our area and have just recently asked him for some references for customers who have done the install. I hope to hear back from him. I was told the KI 310 adapter is available and the shop that is to do my install, has both in stock and on the shelf.  I have heard the same thing about the Sandia  Guattro and wonder if the KI 300 is the exact unit with a new name on it as they did with the IFD. 

Edited by teeth6 - 25 Dec 2019 at 9:28pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 12:13am
The KI 300 is the Sandia 340A, with a different faceplate.

The "A" model has improved temperature stabilization for the MEMS accelerometer chip. The instability in prior units resulted in problems for some of the original Sandia 340 units, when other "edge" issues were present. It was hit & miss.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Dec 2019 at 12:15am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 7:17am
Here is where I'm at - and I know this is an Avidyne board and we all have a desire to install Avidyne equipment. However, lacking that, for me, I just can't see the wisdom in aligning with Bendix King as a purchaser of their products. It is a company that has had a failed GA business model for at least 10 years.

You are going to spend about $8K on the KI300/310 package, plus install - add another 3-5k. For $23k you can install a Garmin GFC500 + G5 and have small lightweight digital servos, digital autopilot, and an attitude indicator that actually works. (sorry Avidyne). For me, investing in BK is just too risky for me, in the above example, you would still have the old autopilot, with old servos, with no support, difficult repair options, and very costly exchanges. Personally, I can't do it, and in 2020, I will be removing all of my BK equipment - KFC200 system with the KCS55HSI and KI206 attitude indicator with flight director. I'm one small failure away from a big disaster.

My desire is to install a DFC90 with small brushless digital servos and an Avidyne PFD along the lines of the PFD4000 that was shown 8 years ago at OSH. Something with line select keys like the IFD series, SynVis like R9.3, and split screen with IFD functionality on one side. Think IFD550 where the PFD part is on the left, and the IFD functions are on the right with the ability to go full PFD on the screen.

I am not a fan of the touch only strategy that Garmin has, and I like having the dedicated buttons and knobs that the IFD has. I'm sure each one of those components adds complexity and cost to the manufacture of the unit, but it is nice to get a single push button, or twist of the knob to get to where you want to go.

Orest, I've read on the Beechtalk board of issues with the 340A too, and it's way too risky to have that foundation as a primary indicator, especially one that drives an autopilot. Sorry, nope. I can already read the NTSB accident report on that one.

Edited by Gring - 26 Dec 2019 at 7:19am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 11:38am
OK, a little dramatic!  ;-)

I was not aware that the Sandia (or perhaps just its rebadged King) was certified for use as a primary instrument. The Sandia was originally certified for standby use only.

Any possible dependability issues aside, it is really too small to act as a PFD.

The G5s are adequate, but dim and washout in sunglight as they are LCD, and I would not use a G5 pair as a quasi-PFD. They also have a lot of wasted space and provide few data fields. And then, don't get me started on the touchscreen interface.

The GFC500 is a well designed A/P. G may well have fixed their early issues with their servos, but if not watch out. But in my view, its biggest downfall is the mandatory reliance on having a G5, and secondly the potential difficulty of getting it to work with non-G equipment. If you want to go with the GFC500, get a G3X instead, which I understand will supplant the need to use a G5 as primary.

Also, it appears with the latest drop, the STEC 3100 has fixed its ills. That is now another good choice. No need for G stuff then.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Dec 2019 at 11:41am
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 8:58pm
All interesting thoughts.  The KI 300 equipment and install labor was to be a max of $7600 but if the stuff doesn't work, what good is it?     My original plan was to install the KI 300 now and then possibly next year install the AeroCruz 230 autopilot which would use the same servos but with a fresh 2 year warranty on them after an initial inspection.  It doesn't appear that the Avidyne DCF 90 autopilot will be certified in my plane anytime in the foreseeable future and I'm trying to steer clear of "G" if at all possible.  The hope was to remove the vacuum pump and mechanical equipment that is waiting to fail and put in a dependable electronic attitude indicator but sadly the KI300 is starting to become a worse option.

Edited by teeth6 - 26 Dec 2019 at 9:05pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 9:15pm
I have an STEC 55x, mated with the Avidyne MAX. I just upgraded from my ASPEN PRO, which has been a stellar performer for the last seven years. Never a peep.

A slip-in upgrade to the 3100 may become an option for me in the future, if an STC gets released.

* Orest
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 11:35pm
I don’t believe the G5’s are touchscreen.  I could never understand when I was younger about not being able to see close.  Now that I’m old, I find the small print too hard to read.  I’d love a large screen.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 9:52am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Also, it appears with the latest drop, the STEC 3100 has fixed its ills. That is now another good choice. No need for G stuff then.

* Orest

It seems that Stec/Genesys isn't interested in the PA-28/C172 market for the 3100, which is one of the primary markets for the G5/GFC500. I would love to replace my Stec 30 with a 3100, but the AML expansion appears to be going up-market rather than down. For the C172 crowd, the only alternative at the moment to Garmin is Dynon. The DFC90 is not getting any new TC's and has an Aspen or R9 system prerequisite anyway.

Edited by chflyer - 27 Dec 2019 at 9:55am
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

I don’t believe the G5’s are touchscreen.  I could never understand when I was younger about not being able to see close.  Now that I’m old, I find the small print too hard to read.  I’d love a large screen.

You are quite right, the G5 is not touchscreen, but it has the typical deeply nested Garmin menus with its control knob.

BIG screens are GOOD.

The Dynon HDX is surely soon going to be (or is now) available for Bonanzas. Unfortunately the Dynon A/P certification will lag in availability.

The TruTrak is a low cost install, and mated with the HDX, you step around its limitations, and can command HDG and all the rest. Of course the TruTrak is now a King product -- but in this instance that may well be a good thing. They can ramp up the production and development more than the original owner. Those units are flying out the door.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Dec 2019 at 1:05pm
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

[QUOTE=Of course the TruTrak is now a King product -- but in this instance that may well be a good thing. They can ramp up the production and development more than the original owner. Those units are flying out the door.

* Orest

Not sure they can fly out the door unless the door is above 700 feet :)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Flybuddy Flybuddy wrote:

[QUOTE=oskrypuch]
Not sure they can fly out the door unless the door is above 700 feet :)

LOL.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 11:19pm
I wonder if this will give the G5 a run for its money.

Bob
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 10:01am
Is the TruTrak the same as the AeroCruz 230 that King has.   I thought the TruTrak was the autopilot that King took over and renamed it.  The Dynon HDX is approved in my plane but I'd still need an autopilot solution for the future and question whether the HDX is compatible with the KFC 150 I have now.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 11:01am
No, the AeroCruz 230 is the slide in digital replacement for the King KFC A/Ps. It may be something you wish to consider.

The TruTrak is now called the AeroCruz 100. Also digital of course. But, it will only follow GPS magenta lines, that is -- track. But with a Dynon HDX or ASPEN to drive it, you will get the missing VLOC & HDG modes. It has full vertical guidance as well, and envelope protection.

* Orest

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:04pm
Not sure how true this is but I got this reply from my King rep regarding the KI 300. 

You are correct that when the product was initially released, we discovered two very rare but possible bugs in the KI system.

After some in house testing, it looks like there was a small chance that the KI might experience an accelerometer error as well as a problem with the panel tilt calibration.  Both of these issues were software driven and had nothing to do with the hardware itself.  Thankfully, both of these potential problems were immediately corrected and only a few units in the field experienced the error.  Those units were returned to the factory and replaced with units with the updated software fix.  To date I think we have about 100+ units in the field and non are experiencing any problems. 

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:03pm
So the KI 300 firmware can't be updated in the field?  Who designs this stuff?
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

So the KI 300 firmware can't be updated in the field?  Who designs this stuff?

Sandia Aerospace
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:33am
Garmin just announced new retrofit round hole units. One of them looks to be able to replace the KI256 in a King autopilot situation (KFC 140, 150, 200, 225, etc). If this is the case, I would think the KI300 is a dead product.  Who you gonna trust - Bendix King who doesn’t manufacture anything and has a questionable partner in Sandia Aerospace or Garmin?

Edited:
I found the autopilot compatibility and it looks like it covers most of the common Bendix King autopilots. Yep, the KI300 is dead!!!

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/gi275_autopilot_compatibility.pdf

Edited by Gring - 15 Jan 2020 at 2:47pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:38pm
Wow.  Just in the nick of time.  Sounds like it avoids the autopilot converter than the KI 300 needs also. 
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm
Hmmmm.....Not so dead yet.  I spoke to Garmin and the STC only covers the aircraft IF the GPS source is Garmin.  It won't accept an Avidyne GPS source. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/719027#additional

A way around this for Avidyne users would be to use the Garmin glareshield GPS source and it is part number 010-12444-10.  It lists for around $200

Edited by teeth6 - 15 Jan 2020 at 4:35pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:01pm
Well, that is relative...the new units support the GNS530/430 which the IFD is a direct replacement for and utilizes the same communications stream (mapmx I think). This is nothing more than a FSDO 337 exercise.

The same is true for the G5. Garmin says it won't work with the IFDs, but in reality it works just fine.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:09pm
I agree that a FSDO would need to get involved for approval because the STC as written would not be legal for an Avidyne GPS.  To avoid the time and effort, I think the glareshield GPS for $200 would be the easier way to go.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:11am
Another Round Hole Option:

Bob
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:24am
Doesn’t appear to be an option for the KFC 150 autopilot with FD
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:18pm
I just picked up my plane after the GI 275 install and I think I will really like it. The display is large and works great with my KFC 150 autopilot.  I was told that since my top IFD had no more available RS 232 ports that it cannot send the Map MX info and as a result the course deviation indicator will not work in GPS mode.  I didn't want to go to the expense of moving the GDL69 or WX500 to the bottom IFD.  In VOR mode it is supposed to work but for some reason, I am getting a full scale deflection on the GI 275 when my HSI is showing me centered on a VOR radial.  I will have to look into the reason for this.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:33pm
As a result of the Nav indication error, it was suggested to me to Connect ARINC 429 #2 on my top box to the GI 275 and program it as GAMA 429 on the IFD and GNS530 on the GI275. We would also have to move some RS232 wires from the top 550 to the bottom 540 to open a port to connect to the GI275 and program it MAPMX. 
This assumes the IFD will completely emulate the GNS530 for this installation. Has anyone else installed a GI 275 yet who can confirm this?

Edited by teeth6 - 03 May 2020 at 11:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic