Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jepp subscription?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jepp subscription?
    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 12:30pm
As I read it, I can't use the IDF100 unless I have a Jeppesen subscription? I'm just using the standard charts with Foreflight, and don't have charts on my 540. So I can't use the IFD100?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by frankbell frankbell wrote:

As I read it, I can't use the IDF100 unless I have a Jeppesen subscription? I'm just using the standard charts with Foreflight, and don't have charts on my 540. So I can't use the IFD100?
You can use the IFD100 without a Jepp subscription, but it's only useful to to tune radios and watch the map.  However, you don't need charts to for it to share the flight plan - just nav data.  So, if you have a nav data subscription for your IFD540, you have credentials to log into JDM.  Use those same credentials to log in on the IFD100 and then download the nav data.

Edited by AviSteve - 04 Jan 2020 at 3:26pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 5:52pm
Thanks. Sounds like there's no particular advantage to using the IFD100 over ForeFlight, unless I'm missing something?
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 10:31pm
The IFD-100 replicates the screen of the IFD on your iPad. You can set your radios from the iPad, and do most everything else you can do reaching over to the IFD. With the IFD540 in my 182, I prefer to just use the IFD itself. If I had an IFD440, I think I would prefer the larger iPad screen for the map display.

I can see someone liking to control the IFD from an iPad mounted on a yoke, or if the IFD was mounted far away from the pilot. In my case, the IFD in the center stack is very easy to reach and to see, so duplicating the screen on my iPad is not that useful. 

I use Foreflight on my iPad and can transfer flight plans back and forth with the IFD. I prefer Foreflight to view charts and the like.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:42am
+1

That's pretty much how I also operate, with an IFD540, IFD440, and ForeFlight. Having the charts on the IFD540 would be nice as a backup to ForeFlight (I did have the Jepp charts all disappear on FF following an update cycle a couple times), but I just can't justify the extra cost. I'm just careful to be sure that an FF cycle update works on one iPad before updating the other one, so I no longer lose all the charts.
Vince
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 3:31pm

Thanks. Sounds like there's no particular advantage to using the IFD100 over ForeFlight, unless I'm missing something?
The IFD100 is not really in competition with Foreflight.  The benefits are more similar to having a second monitor on your desktop PC.  You have more screen real estate to display maps and information (an especially huge benefit to 440 owners), and you have the ability to display different information on both displays (ex: keep the moving map on one display while fiddling with the Flight Plan or changing user settings or using the calculators on the other, etc.).

If you're not using the physical Bluetooth keyboard, you can also use use the keyboard on the IFD100, which might be easier to reach or more stable in turbulence.

So think of the IFD100 as an extention of your panel IFD, not as a replacement to Foreflight.
789 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:01pm
Are there any Boeing employees on the forum?  There's a nice discount for Boeing employees for Jeppesen data base subscriptions.  Rodney
gzinga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gzinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

The IFD100 is not really in competition with Foreflight.  The benefits are more similar to having a second monitor on your desktop PC.  You have more screen real estate to display maps and information (an especially huge benefit to 440 owners), and you have the ability to display different information on both displays (ex: keep the moving map on one display while fiddling with the Flight Plan or changing user settings or using the calculators on the other, etc.).

If you're not using the physical Bluetooth keyboard, you can also use use the keyboard on the IFD100, which might be easier to reach or more stable in turbulence.

So think of the IFD100 as an extention of your panel IFD, not as a replacement to Foreflight.

so far this has been very beneficial, be able to set up the approach on the 100 instead of the 440 it's great. Also as you do longer cross country under IF rules and your route is changed or adjusted it is so much easier to plug it from the 100
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 3:23am
So with just current NavData suspription, no charts, can the IFD100 mirror the synsthetic vision on the IFD550?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 8:24am
SVS is not dependent on charts, but it does need the nav data in order to draw the runways and signposts and obstacle data in order to draw the obstacles.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Decibel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decibel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 6:28pm
Hi we've just purchase a 440 and one the reason we selected was the IFD100. I realized that we need to have a Jeppesen subscription to have it to work as an extension of the 440? I am reading that right?

Here is what I understand and please correct me when I am wrong.

Without a subscription
I understand only the changing the radio frequency will work.
We won't be able to edit the route ie insert an hold or and approach on the IDF100.

One more questions if I may
We are multiple partner on our aircraft how many of us will be able to use the app?

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 6:36pm
You do need to download the same database to both the IFD440 and the IFD100. You need a subscription for the IFD440 to keep the database up-to-date, and that subscription also covers the IFD100. If you just get the introductory subscription for the IFD440, make sure you download the same database to the iPad with the IFD100. As long as they are in sync, everything will work.

All the partners will need to be ale to log into the same Jeppesen account if everyone has a different iPad. You could also have one iPad dedicated to the plane that all partners use. I am not sure if there is a limit to the number of iPads that you can download the data for the IFD100. If you don't get a subscription, you might have a problem later on if you get a new iPad but can no longer get the same database that is in your IFD440. 
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:08pm
I believe all of the Avidyne database packages include being able to also download the databases to two iPad IFD100’s. There may be an option to buy access from Jeppesen for additional IFD100’s.
Decibel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decibel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:12pm
Thanks guys

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic