Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.2.4.1 Is Released

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by allenc3 allenc3 wrote:

As long as we follow your detailed written instructions...
If only that always happened...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:19am
Updating software should not be a complicated or feared process.
While there are many ways for updates to fail, they should not be catastrophic. 
Properly engineered, the update process should be nearly automatic with safe guards to prevent glitches.
In other words, routine.

Just sayin'
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:52am
+1
David Gates
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 9:46am
I upgraded my unit from 10.2.3.1 to 10.2.4.1 without any issues, the whole process took under 25 minutes once all the listed pre-checks were completed (took pictures of the configuration screens for reference).  When all was done I went through the config pages and everything look correct.....easy peasy...

Originally posted by Cruiser Cruiser wrote:

Properly engineered, the update process should be nearly automatic with safe guards to prevent glitches.
In other words, routine.

Just sayin'

I do agree with you that the loss of power or some other screw up shouldn't render the unit bricked.  Although it is probably way too late to change the IFD units but it would be nice if the units had some sort of "fail safe" boot mode that would allow them to load a specialized recovery image, or contain enough storage flash in the unit to hold the current and a previous version of code, if the current version won't boot simply fall back to the previous version.

Jeff
Spongebob38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spongebob38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

we are in the process of working out the details.  Standby...

Steve,

Please post the link here or email me the link when it becomes available. I refuse to use Facebook.

I installed the IFD 540 from straight outta the box in an EAB RV-10. I wired the tray and all connections to the EFIS/ARINC 429 etc. this was not a Garmin replacement. I have updated both of the microSD cards in the unit as well, ask Christine for more details if needed.

I would like to stay current with the updates as Avidyne rolls them out. Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

John
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 5:07pm
<<< ask Christine for more details if needed.>>>>>
Christine is no longer with Avidyne 

Spongebob38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spongebob38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Christine is no longer with Avidyne 

Ouch, I wasn't aware of that, but then again it was July 2018 when I last spoke with her. Nearly two years ago. Crazy how time flies! pun intended :-)

john
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 12:16pm

In other words, routine.

Just sayin'

I suppose anything is possible.  It’s easy being on the outside looking in and finding fault.  I think Avidyne has done a marvelous job of engineering the IFD architecture.  So, I’m of the camp that trusts they know what they are doing.  There are consequences of adding additional hardware and software.  Those must be weighed heavily against the primary functionality of the IFDs.  It is a compromise, especially with flight safety being such a priority.  Perhaps they have found the right balance which is to all of our advantage.

Bob
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 5:30pm

In other words, routine.

Although these boxes were never intended to be consumer-level products, so I'm not sure that fool-proof updating was ever in the cards.  Although we tend to think of hardware memory as virtually limitless (which it effectively is), the coding needed to accomplish what you are suggesting is anything but trivial. And as soon as you add the additional layer of complexity needed to shield users from ID10T errors, the likelihood of unintended consequences and additional errors goes up dramatically.

So if keeping it simpler in fact reduces the potential for errors, then I'm all for that, even if it means some inconvenience and additional cost at update time.

Stan
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 6:59pm
Is there a new Pilot guide available?  The one on the Avidyne website has an April 2019 release date. I noticed a new setting in the user setup page called Zoom (on/off). It is the first selection in the list and I’d like to know what it does.

Edited by Gring - 22 Feb 2020 at 7:01pm
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

So if keeping it simpler in fact reduces the potential for errors, then I'm all for that, even if it means some inconvenience and additional cost at update time.

You have just argued BOTH sides of the issue.  Congrats.
Regards,
Randy
Regards,
Randy
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Randy Randy wrote:

Regards,
Randy

No, not really.  It should have been clear from what I wrote that "keeping it simpler" means keeping the code simpler, not necessarily the updating process.  But if that was not clear, then I'll make it clear now: keep the code as simple as possible without gumming it up with a firewall that tries to anticipate and prevent all possible forms of updating errors.  The latter effort would, in my opinion, be a losing time- and resource-wasting process.  But then again I don't make these decisions, so YMMV.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 23 Feb 2020 at 11:49am
Stan
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:22pm
There is another dynamic at work here, as well, and that has to do with company size and resources. For instance, Microsoft and Apple each have market capitalizations in the $1 trillion neighborhood and more than 130,000 employees. Same with Boeing (although its market cap is "only" about $200 billion).  And we are painfully aware of the difficulties these companies routinely have at getting software updates and features to function properly.

Closer to home, Garmin has a market cap of about $19 billion and 13,000 employees. 

Avidyne, at its largest had maybe 300 employees and perhaps is closer to 125 at present.  It is privately owned and therefore doesn't have a known market cap but may have gross sales of $25 to $50 million a year (depending upon the validity of online estimates).  Perhaps Dynon is a better comparator with around 50 employees and who knows what in annual sales.

The point is that Avidyne's resources are limited and product development and update decisions have very real stability and longevity consequences.  Frankly, the fact that we even have available these phenomenal products at competitive prices (especially the IFD series) is, in my opinion, nothing short of a technological, engineering, business and regulatory miracle.

Now, I knew all of this when I bought my first IFD540 in my previous plane.  I also knew that Garmin is much better supported in this part of the country.  But I still went with the IFD series, including in my current plane, because for me it wins hands-down in terms of usability and features (with a few unimportant to me exceptions) over anything Garmin produces.  

I was and still am willing to bet my avionics dollars that Avidyne will continue to support and competitively update its IFD boxes in ways that are consistent with the best interests of the company and its customers.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 23 Feb 2020 at 1:06pm
Stan
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 1:08pm

Originally posted by Randy Randy wrote:

Regards,
Randy
No, not really.  It should have been clear from what I wrote that "keeping it simpler" means keeping the code simpler, not necessarily the updating process.  But if that was not clear, then I'll make it clear now: keep the code as simple as possible without gumming it up with a firewall that tries to anticipate and prevent all possible forms of updating errors.  The latter effort would, in my opinion, be a losing time- and resource-wasting process.  But then again I don't make these decisions, so YMMV.
I thought your note was very clear and didn't myself understand the "...BOTH sides of the issue..." comment.
Bob
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 1:33pm

There is another dynamic at work here, as well, and that has to do with company size and resources. For instance, Microsoft and Apple each have market capitalizations in the $1 trillion neighborhood and more than 130,000 employees. Same with Boeing (although its market cap is "only" about $200 billion).  And we are painfully aware of the difficulties these companies routinely have at getting software updates and features to function properly.

Closer to home, Garmin has a market cap of about $19 billion and 13,000 employees. 

Avidyne, at its largest had maybe 300 employees and perhaps is closer to 125 at present.  It is privately owned and therefore doesn't have a known market cap but may have gross sales of $25 to $50 million a year (depending upon the validity of online estimates).  Perhaps Dynon is a better comparator with around 50 employees and who knows what in annual sales.

The point is that Avidyne's resources are limited and product development and update decisions have very real stability and longevity consequences.  Frankly, the fact that we even have available these phenomenal products at competitive prices (especially the IFD series) is, in my opinion, nothing short of a technological, engineering, business and regulatory miracle.

Now, I knew all of this when I bought my first IFD540 in my previous plane.  I also knew that Garmin is much better supported in this part of the country.  But I still went with the IFD series, including in my current plane, because for me it wins hands-down in terms of usability and features (with a few unimportant to me exceptions) over anything Garmin produces.  

I was and still am willing to bet my avionics dollars that Avidyne will continue to support and competitively update its IFD boxes in ways that are consistent with the best interests of the company and its customers.

Good Post! - on the company size issue, it's worth noting that with companies like Apple that they may be large and have huge resources but their product cost is 10 to 20 times less than an Avidyne customer. More outlay on our end should equal better expected service. If there's an Apple problem on an update, there are generally free solutions.
Having been an early Dynon Skyview adopter (RV6-installed myself) I did MANY updates as the product capability grew. Bricking the unit was almost unheard of.
I did the last Avidyne update by myself and got a neighbor AP to fill out the permission slip (same guy that uses me for his updates and tech stuff). I had 2 forms of backup juice to the panel and had no problems.
SUGGESTION:
Keep records of those (individuals and shops) who had issues with an update and discuss alternative means with them on the next update. No reason to have the whole class stay after school.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Flybuddy Flybuddy wrote:

Good Post! - on the company size issue, it's worth noting that with companies like Apple that they may be large and have huge resources but their product cost is 10 to 20 times less than an Avidyne customer. More outlay on our end should equal better expected service. If there's an Apple problem on an update, there are generally free solutions.
Having been an early Dynon Skyview adopter (RV6-installed myself) I did MANY updates as the product capability grew. Bricking the unit was almost unheard of.
I did the last Avidyne update by myself and got a neighbor AP to fill out the permission slip (same guy that uses me for his updates and tech stuff). I had 2 forms of backup juice to the panel and had no problems.
SUGGESTION:
Keep records of those (individuals and shops) who had issues with an update and discuss alternative means with them on the next update. No reason to have the whole class stay after school.
So you want Avidyne to maintain a database documenting different levels of upgrade capability by IFD owner or shop?  To get on that list there would need to be at least one round of upgrades to determine where folks stand.  They would either be successful or perhaps bricked their unit.  Then Avidyne can determine where to slot them for the next upgrade.  What should the method of release be for that first upgrade?  Subsequent upgrades would then require a database lookup for every IFD to determine the method of release.  Avidyne would be the first company in the world to develop such an innovative strategy, and it would be a NIGHTMARE!

Avidyne gets swamped for technical support help when a new upgrade comes out.  Look at Steve's note about folks following the instructions: "...if only that were so..."  You have highlighted your credentials for doing upgrades.  You are in the minority.  Why should Avidyne cater to you?  You have found a simple work around as have many others.  So no big deal.  Avidyne also has to consider FAA criteria.  I agree that Avidyne should provide A&Ps with the ability to do updates.  They have done that in the past and it appears they are implementing that here as well.
Bob
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 4:20pm
It's NOT that complex---how many bricked units do you think they got last time? Probably just a few and what's the big deal to make a note in computer based on serial number so that they can discuss with them ahead of time--be proactive instead of reactive (less total work). Avidyne obviously listens to the customer base as they generally get more flexible on the updates.

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:08am
OK ladies and gentlemen, the 10.2.4.1 software is now available for you to download.  Again, installation of this software will require a logbook entry with authorized signatures from A&P or IA.  You'll need to fill out the online form in order to get access.  Here's the link:

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:12am
Yippee!
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:06pm
Thanks!!!
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:38pm
THANK YOU  !!!!!   !!!!!! ( : > )
Jim Patton
R0bst3r View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R0bst3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:13pm
This just proves again how much Avidyne rocks.
TXCARGY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:13am
Avidyne you are the greatest!
Victor
Bellanca 17-31ATC
www.bellanca.us
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:35pm
how many hrs should a shop charge for the update? Going to a local dealer. 
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:38pm
From the minute I turned on the GPS with the USB stick in the slot to the time it was finished took 25 minutes.  That doesn't include any paper work, or possibly pulling the unit out to do the update on a bench etc (what I did). 

Personally I would think 1hr shop time wouldn't be unreasonable, nobody says the paperwork can't be done while the upgrade is being performing
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 4:54pm
Doesn't appear to be a zip file as outlined in video so you can download directly to a USB thumb drive, files should be:
RUNONCE                                                      1KB
500-00207-000 CONFORMITY CHECKER.dsf  1KB
500-00206-000 FULL UPDATE.dsf                  44,642KB
500-00205-000Gold Master(2).dsf                86,196KB

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Flybuddy Flybuddy wrote:

500-00205-000Gold Master(2).dsf                86,196KB

Doesn't look right, shouldn't have the (2) in the name and you have a space in the name

My files are:
$ unzip -l 10.2.4.1_update.zip
Archive:  10.2.4.1_update.zip
  Length      Date    Time    Name
---------  ---------- -----   ----
 88264130  02-05-2020 11:45   500-00205-000 GoldMaster.dsf
 45712812  02-05-2020 11:50   500-00206-000 FULL UPDATE.dsf
      584  02-05-2020 11:50   500-00207-000 CONFORMITY CHECKER.dsf
   790095  01-16-2020 15:06   601-00182-034 SERVICE BULLETIN, IFD5XX-4XX SERIES UPGRADE TO 10.2.X.1.pdf

15  02-05-2020 11:50   RUNONCE
---------                     -------
134767636                     5 files

Your file sizes look right (I'm viewing on a Linux machine which may calculate the sizes differently), you just have a screwed up filename.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:37pm
What could possibly go wrong.  😜
Stan
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

From the minute I turned on the GPS with the USB stick in the slot to the time it was finished took 25 minutes.  That doesn't include any paper work, or possibly pulling the unit out to do the update on a bench etc (what I did). 

Personally I would think 1hr shop time wouldn't be unreasonable, nobody says the paperwork can't be done while the upgrade is being performing

Or recording all of the settings.  That can take awhile.  I did my update in 1hr complete with recording settings.

Edited by Gring - 27 Feb 2020 at 9:57pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:00pm
I got charged 1-1/4 hours, complete. Update was done on a bench.

* Orest
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 4:04pm
Did the update today and it only took 22 minutes. However, I had one minor issue that I elected to call tech support to be thorough. Got 10 minute holds and then dropped to a desk answering machine to leave message--did this 3 times and also did an email..It's now hours later and never got a call back or answer.
The update isn't hard to do but don't think you'll have tech support as a crutch, you may be on your own.
One tip--look closely at IFD pic screen at bottom of page 12 in instructions, that's the pic you will get when it's done and, just like the pic, it will only show 62% complete on the progress bar. It's actually done and you can hit proceed and do the software checks.
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 3:27am
Hey folks, appreciate Avidyne offering this as a download. Thank You.

In addition to being an ATP, I’m also an A&P. Could I do this and sign off my logbook?

If so, Avidyne requires A&P shop and phone number. How would I list myself, if possible to do my own signoff.

Thanks,
David 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by dwbarnett dwbarnett wrote:

Could I do this and sign off my logbook? If so, Avidyne requires A&P shop and phone number. How would I list myself, if possible to do my own signoff.
Just put your name and phone number in that box.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:09pm
I updated my software yesterday, about 20 min total. I do not know how you could possibly screw this up, as once the update is started, you do not touch anything until the install is complete. Mine did not lose or change any of the configurations As easy as updating a database.

I do have a Power Cart and plug that in before I start any upgrades, including the Data   
Claude
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 12:32am
I also just did my 10.2.4.1 update (from 10.2.3.1) which took about 25 minutes for the software transfer. Took another 10 minutes for the pre and post checks. All my settings remained unchanged. 
It was ueventful, however I was meticulous in my preparation, reading the service bulletin a number of times. I already had copies of my configuration and set up screens. I used external power.

I have done almost all of these software updates and they are a highly automated process but just require a little preparation. 
I enjoy doing them. 

Thomas

Edited by DH82FLYER - 03 Mar 2020 at 12:37am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 1:43pm
Steve, in the list of fixes for 10.2.4.1 you mention the following:
"- Fixed issue when using same com port for input at one baud rate and output at a different rate."

Related to this is a question about RS232 input and output both at 115200 (on the same and/or different ports). What are the limitations here? My understanding is that RS232 Capstone/GDL90 input is fixed at 115200, but max output is 9600. Is that correct? If so, any plans to change?
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Steve, in the list of fixes for 10.2.4.1 you mention the following:
"- Fixed issue when using same com port for input at one baud rate and output at a different rate."

Related to this is a question about RS232 input and output both at 115200 (on the same and/or different ports). What are the limitations here? My understanding is that RS232 Capstone/GDL90 input is fixed at 115200, but max output is 9600. Is that correct? If so, any plans to change?
We didn’t exactly understand the question, but maybe this explanation will fit the bill…

As of 10.2.4.1, the TX and RX for all of the RS232 ports can be configured independently.  Prior to the fix, if the IFD was configured for Capstone Wx or Capstone Trfc+Wx (or the corresponding high speed versions) on the RX side of the port, then the IFD would inappropriately set the TX speed as well.  In the event that you had something else configured on the TX side, the baud rate would likely not have been the correct speed.  Note that the bug did not affect the Capstone Trfc Only configuration.

The Capstone protocol has a fixed baud rate of 38,400.  The Capstone HS protocol  has a fixed baud rate of 115,200.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 7:52am
It answers the question, but doesn't quite address the issue.

The need is to be able to specify the RS232 output speed for the Aviation selection to 115200 baud, rather than the current fixed 9600 baud, or have 2 selections like is done for Capstone and Capstone HS.

The issue that I have is connecting a Golze ADL200 which can supply WX and ADS-B information to the IFD via GDL90 protocol using the Avidyne RS232 Capstone HS Trfc+Wx @ 115200 baud. It can also receive FPL route info from the IFD via the RS232 Aviation selection. But it cannot transmit at 115200 and receive at 9600. Both need to be at 115200.
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

It answers the question, but doesn't quite address the issue.

The need is to be able to specify the RS232 output speed for the Aviation selection to 115200 baud, rather than the current fixed 9600 baud, or have 2 selections like is done for Capstone and Capstone HS.

The issue that I have is connecting a Golze ADL200 which can supply WX and ADS-B information to the IFD via GDL90 protocol using the Avidyne RS232 Capstone HS Trfc+Wx @ 115200 baud. It can also receive FPL route info from the IFD via the RS232 Aviation selection. But it cannot transmit at 115200 and receive at 9600. Both need to be at 115200.
Thanks to my colleagues in Boston...

We don't plan on supporting a 115.2 Aviation 232 stream.  However, it looks like the answer to your problem is already documented in the Golze ADL200 installation manual.  See section 15...

For more advanced installations an optional RS232 combiner type ADLRS232 is available. It looks like shown below. The purpose of this device is first to allow RS232 input at 9600 baud 8N1 while outputting RS232 at 115200 baud 8N1. This feature will often be required because the Aviation Data output of many third party devices is fixed to 9600 baud while their RS232 Capstone/GDL90 input is fixed at 115200.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 10:38am
Yes Steve, that is a workaround but it requires purchase and installation of an additional device (the ADLRS232 combiner) with associated cables/connectors. That box is the same size as the ADL itself.

A shame considering that if an IFD RS232 port can support 115200 input it should be able to support 115200 output.

Edited by chflyer - 16 Mar 2020 at 10:40am
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:14pm
Many thanks for releasing the 10.2.4.1 release.

For 10.2.3.1 there was a 2nd version made available of the software package which also contained the current (at the time) installation manual (rev17).

Unfortunately the 10.2.4.1 didn't include it (rev18 I believe). The installation manual is very useful when planning panel changes and for the latest version should always be used, so it would be nice if it were included by default with software release packages.  
Vince
Dpcallaghan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dpcallaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:38am
Hi.  First time caller.  Question on upgrade to the latest version.  I am on 10.2.1.0 and am wondering if there are compelling reasons to upgrade (for me).  The date issue is mildly irritating but no more than that.  Where can I find a list of software releases and related notes?  I did hunt around various Avidyne sites but did not discover this information.  

Thanks,

Dennis
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:07pm
There is no web page with release notes for each version.  If for no other reason, you really should update to fix the GPS date.  But since you find that only mildly irritating, I think it's reasonable to wait for 10.3.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dpcallaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 5:01pm
Steve, 

Thanks for the response.  I did the upgrade (it rained, free time).  I expected that the unit would update the date without my input. I test flew for about 30 minutes but it did not update.  What steps should I take to address?  Photo below. 

Thanks,

Dennis

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 10:40am
Did your IFD540 date ever correct itself on a subsequent power up of the unit? If not and you haven’t done so already, it couldn’t hurt to try power cycling the IFD while in an area of good GPS signal. My understanding is that power cycling should sync the IFD UTC time with the GPS time signal. Since the numerical GPS date is part of the GPS time signal, my thought is that there is a chance this might work to also correct the IFD date to the current GPS date cycle.

Otherwise, I would think Avidyne Tech Support will have a solution for you.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 1:19pm
When the IFD first powers up, it synchronizes with the GPS time from the previous power cycle.  From that point on, to keep time consistent, it continues on its internal clock.  So, dmtidler is correct, it should correct itself on the second power cycle.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dpcallaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 4:27pm
and it did!  All is good on the 2nd start.

Thanks,

Dennis
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:22pm
I have an IFD540 and IFD440. The IFD540 works perfect. The IFD440 loses time, and only seems to get caught up if the flight is long enough for the IFD to download the GPS almanac from satellites.

Here's an example: my airfield has been closed for several weeks due to snow so I haven't been flying. When I did my last database update at the end of January, the IFD440 date/time was 2 weeks out of date and never corrected during the database update process.

Anyone else have the same issue? Sounds to me like a problem with the battery that retains the date/time while powered down. I believe that requires a return to the factory to resolve, which costs me a good $500 round-trip. grrrh.

Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic