Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Datalink Data Not Rcvd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Datalink Data Not Rcvd
    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 9:49am
Flying Sunday afternoon I got the warning "Datalink Data Not Rcvd", the pilot's manual says:
No <p> products have been received.  Timeout periods vary with weather product. See the IFD product page on www.avidyne.com for detailed datalink product information.
This was the first time I have seen the message, I acknowledged the message and didn't see it for the remainder of the (short) flight.  My ADS-B in unit is the NGT-9000 and I was in a location and an altitude that I'm sure I had ADS-B coverage, I was at 6500 ft right over LGA.

Jeff
ReidJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReidJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:51pm
Yeah, I'm on 10.2.3.1 with an NGT9000+ and am still getting that error message every flight.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 10:20pm
I am also at 10.2.3.1 with an NGT-9000+ and I get that message on every flight, even though I see the airmets on the NGT-9000+.
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:53pm
I have an IFD540, with AXP340 and a Skytrax 100. I get this message CONSTANTLY. It doesn’t matter if I am at 3000 feet or st 8500. It’s freaking annoying. The sad fact is that I never get these messages in ForeFlight using a Stratus, and I always have weather and traffic on my stratus where I don’t have it on my IFD540. 

It’s pretty pathetic that my $300 consumer portable unit is more reliable when it comes to WX and traffic than the unit I dumped thousands upon thousands of dollars on. 

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 12:37pm
Next time that you get the message, please go to the alerts page and note the long text associated with the message.  Then post that back or send it to me over email.  That will help us understand what the unit thinks it's missing.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 3:50pm
I've only had the error once, but next time I get it I'll be sure to capture the error
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:46pm
Hi Steve,

Attached is a photo of the alert. I get this alert on every flight. You can see from the NGT9000+ above the IFD that there is an airmet being received.

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:50am
Can you also send a picture of what the ADS-B Stations page is showing during that time?  (see page 5-61 of the IFD500 series pilot guide).
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 2:57am
Hi Steve,

Thanks for looking into this. Attached are images of each page from today. I just noticed that this time it is an error about sigments instead of airmets this time. I don't think there were any sigmets in the area today.

On the return flight, I got the alert again (as mentioned, I get it every flight), but didn't pay attention to the full message. I was watching the ADS-B Stations page though. I noticed that coverage would switch between 0%, 50% and 100%. I was busy at the time the alert came on, so didn't catch if anything was above 0%, but I did notice that even with 100% reception, the alert stays on. I didn't take any pictures of the return flight.

Sorry, I can't seem to get the rotation corrected this time. Let me know if you need anything else.

ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 1:32am
Was this information helpful Steve?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 8:44am
Yes, it was.  The stations page shows that SIGMETs are expected from stations 8, 13, and 14 but haven't all been received (because the text is white instead of green).   Our datalink guy is in the loop and he's looking into it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Yes, it was.  The stations page shows that SIGMETs are expected from stations 8, 13, and 14 but haven't all been received (because the text is white instead of green).   Our datalink guy is in the loop and he's looking into it.

Thanks Steve.  As a follow up on this interesting diagnostic screen:

It looks like AIRMETS were also expected on 9 and 10, and not received there either? 

In other words, does the indication of white text mean that there is data to be downloaded?  There are some that are filled in with dashed lines, meaning there is nothing of that data to send perhaps?

Edited by Catani - 03 Mar 2020 at 11:12am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 1:08pm
Green means that the IFD has received the complete set of expected data for that product, white is incomplete.  Dashes indicate that the IFD has not received a look ahead distance for that product.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 10:10am
Based on the release process and dev cycles, is it safe to assume this is still a problem with 10.2.4.1? I seem to get them every flight. I.e. March 21 (10.2.3.1):

Again, April 12 with 10.2.4.1 you can see the AIRMET on the NGT-9000 in the upper left corner:
I didn't get a photo of the stations...

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 11:47am
10.2.4.1 didn't address anything with that regard, so I'm sure the problem is still there.  We're looking into the way that the list of expected reports is processed.  I expect something to be found and fixed for 10.3.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 6:26pm

10.2.4.1 didn't address anything with that regard, so I'm sure the problem is still there.  We're looking into the way that the list of expected reports is processed.  I expect something to be found and fixed for 10.3.

To be certain, this is a software problem not a wiring problem, correct?
Since it is displaying the stations, traffic, METARs, I am inferring that the NGT-9000 is sending the data stream correctly. Agree?

Thank you,
Theo
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:27am
Yes, software.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Jandair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 11:23am
I have a similar (but different) issue with datalink.  I have an XMD076 wired to the #1 IFD 440 for WX.  The #1 IFD does not show any updates and eventually errors to "Datalink not received".  But the #2 IFD 440 does show the wx and gets regular updates every 2-4 minutes.  The only path for #2 is from the #1 IFD crossfill.  The datalink status pages (like the ones above) show - no input on #1.  On the #2 IFD page it says to "refer to IFD#1" for status.  But I can see the actual WX on #2 but not on #1...  

Any chance that is already known and will be addressed in 10.3?  

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Jandair Jandair wrote:

I have a similar (but different) issue with datalink.  I have an XMD076 wired to the #1 IFD 440 for WX.  The #1 IFD does not show any updates and eventually errors to "Datalink not received".  But the #2 IFD 440 does show the wx and gets regular updates every 2-4 minutes.  The only path for #2 is from the #1 IFD crossfill.  The datalink status pages (like the ones above) show - no input on #1.  On the #2 IFD page it says to "refer to IFD#1" for status.  But I can see the actual WX on #2 but not on #1...  

Any chance that is already known and will be addressed in 10.3?  

That scenario doesn't make sense to me.  Sounds to me like either it's not wired the way you think it is or the configuration is off.  This may be a job for tech support, but if you post back your RS232 port configurations we might be able to figure it out.  
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Jandair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 9:20am
I agree - does not make sense.  The XMD is wired and configured for RS-232 port #2 in and out (default sets both) on the #1 IFD only.  The information is being received because it shows up on #2 just fine.  I even get updates on the "minutes since update" on the map page on #2 only.  

I probably need to schedule some time with tech support... The avionics shop spent hours troubleshooting with tech support and was not able to resolve it.  
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 9:39am
If you have screenshots of your RS232 config pages, send them my way.  Or if you go to Mx mode and download configuration info, you can send those files. slindsley at avidyne.com
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Jandair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:24am
will do... It will be Wednesday before I can get out there - I will send them after that.  

Thanks for the help!!!
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 12:03pm
In case another data point will help, photo taken 4/19/2020 13:51 PDT:

Edited by skitheo - 27 Apr 2020 at 12:04pm
Jandair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:06pm
Working with Steve and tech support - my issue is now resolved.  I can see traffic updates on the #1 and #2 IFDs - updates often and appears to be functioning normally.  

It does not send the traffic to the IFD100 - but that is a feature request for another day. :-) 

Avidyne Support is the best ever!!!
petersk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:03pm
What was the solution? I'm chasing a similar issue... 

Thanks
Keith Peterson
Cardinal Flyers
Cardinal RG N177KP
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:11am
Originally posted by petersk petersk wrote:

What was the solution? I'm chasing a similar issue...
He has an MFD that is controlling the XMD076.  So he had to change his IFD configuration to use "XMD076 AUX" rather than "XMD076".
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 8:04pm
Has this problem been addressed in 10.2.6.1, @AviSteve?
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:24pm
First flight with the new software and I did not get a data link error.  In addition I was having problems with my G5 dropping the ground track it didn't drop once.

Jeff
Decibel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decibel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:27pm
Bump
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:39pm
two flights now, no datalink error and the GPS track on the Garmin G5 stayed stable where before it would periodically blank out.

Sounds like there were a bunch of fixes related to the serial ports if you read between the lines on the release notes these three items are all serial port related.  I'm not sure if the 429 stuff falls under serial as well as it is a different physical interface and protocol plus I am not using the 429 interface so I can't comment there.

resolves datalink configuration problems
fix to dropping of ADS-B data
fixes incorrect ATC code transmission to the NGT9000R transponders

This tells me there was something wrong with the serial ports, dropping characters, funky speeds, something else?  which is why I think my G5 problem is now gone too.

-PA

Edited by PA23 - 27 Mar 2021 at 6:16pm
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:48pm
Just out of curiosity, what software version are your G5’s using?
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

The latest version on Garmin's website - 6.76
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

The latest version on Garmin's website - 6.76
Thanks! I believe G5 update 6.76 is the latest for G5's on experimental/LSA aircraft. I was curious if anyone on the forum has upgraded to Garmin G5 software version 6.82 for certificated aircraft (available on the Garmin website since December 10th). 

Certificated G5 update 6.82 includes an minor update to the GAD29 software (from version 3.20 to version 3.30); however, it appears that the experimental/LSA G5 updates have been using GAD29 software version 3.30 for the last two releases. 

Updating the GAD29 software gave me pause to having my G5's updated to version 6.82; I didn't want to risk breaking a critical component link that is currently working well between the IFD and G5's. Since you're not having any GAD29 interface issues with experimental/LSA G5 update 6.76, this concern should not be a problem with certificated G5 update 6.82. 

FYI - I was told by my avionics shop that the G5's can be rolled back to earlier software versions so I have kept a copy of each of the earlier G5 software releases just in case a rollback ever becomes necessary.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:03pm
sorry my bad, I'm running 6.82, I remember I installed the certified version that was released in December 2020
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:42pm

sorry my bad, I'm running 6.82, I remember I installed the certified version that was released in December 2020
Thanks!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by skitheo skitheo wrote:

This thread has had a lot of twists and turns, so I'm not sure which problem you're talking about.

Maybe this will help.  Each kind of datalink report has a "late" time and a "stale" time.  If the IFD powers up and doesn't receive a given report within the "late" time, the message "Datalink Data Not Rcvd" is issued.  If the IFD *has* received a given report but then does not receive another one within the "stale" time, then the message "Datalink Stale" is issued.

The logic and the messages remain the same in 10.2.6.1.

For not-yet-released 10.3, we've done some work on the messaging in an attempt to make it more understandable, but the underlying logic remains the same.  If the IFD is expecting a datalink message and it has not been received, we want you to know about it.  The new "late" message will say "Datalink Data Overdue" and the datalink status page will show you which products are overdue.  The "stale" message will remain the same.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:22am

This thread has had a lot of twists and turns, so I'm not sure which problem you're talking about.

Maybe this will help.  Each kind of datalink report has a "late" time and a "stale" time.  If the IFD powers up and doesn't receive a given report within the "late" time, the message "Datalink Data Not Rcvd" is issued.  If the IFD *has* received a given report but then does not receive another one within the "stale" time, then the message "Datalink Stale" is issued.

For not-yet-released 10.3, we've done some work on the messaging in an attempt to make it more understandable, but the underlying logic remains the same.  If the IFD is expecting a datalink message and it has not been received, we want you to know about it.  The new "late" message will say "Datalink Data Overdue" and the datalink status page will show you which products are overdue.  The "stale" message will remain the same.

Steve, I'm sure that some of the error reporting in the yet to be released version will be helpful.  But the problems I was having now appear to have been resolved and was actually two problems which I now believe were related in the IFD software.

1) Randomly receiving the "datalink error" at least once every flight (what this thread was started for)
2) (unrelated to this thread) constantly losing  and regaining the GPS ground track being sent from the IFD to my Garmin G5 AI

Although I've only had 2 short flights with a total time of about 2 hours, it is possible but doubtful that I simply didn't receive the datalink error as it is somewhat random but I believe it triggered every flight within the first 5 minutes, the output problem to the the G5 (mapMX format) which I hadn't reported yet was continuous, the ground track would appear for a few minutes than disappear for a few seconds and simply repeat throughout the whole flight, this problem was not observed at all with the new software as the ground track display stayed on through the whole flight.

As of right both problems appear to be resolved in 10.2.6.1, I am sure there were some changes in the serial I/O stuff that was causing both of the issues which are now fixed, and although lacking any real detail Avidyne's release notes do point to some changes in the external I/O stuff and I base this on the list of items that were listed as fixed in the release notes that rely on the serial I/O and the Arinc 429.  Arinc 420 is also a serial protocol, although synchronous rather than asynchronous so I suspect it is relying the same underlying code in the IFD for its processing.

Previously working for a (non aviation) software/hardware vendor I know that there are always bugs that get resolved in both minor and major software updates that are not always listed in the public release notes.  We would typically list 15+ bug fixes in a minor release but there might be 50 or 60 more that are not on the release notes that were flagged internally as fixed.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 12:13pm

Of particular interest to me is the communication with the NGT-9000, of which I posted several photos up thread. Specifically, reporting that AIRMETs (and sometimes SIGMETs) have not been received when the NGT-9000 displays several.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:11pm

Has this problem been addressed in 10.2.6.1   ...
Of particular interest to me is the communication with the NGT-9000
10.2.6.1 did address some NGT9000 issues, but not specifically for the ADS-B data.  However, there was another fix that addressed ADS-B being dropped from a FreeFlight box.  Since that processing is in common, though, it would have a positive affect on the data being received from the NGT.  The problem shown in the pictures above could definitely be explained by data from the NGT being dropped by the IFD, making the IFD believe that it hadn't received the expected report.

That's a long winded way to say that "Yes, this problem has been addressed in 10.2.6.1".

Edited by AviSteve - 29 Mar 2021 at 4:11pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 7:27pm
Ok several flight segments today almost 4 hrs and I got the dreaded "datalink data not rcvd" message.  Alas not fixed in the software, guess just a coincidence that it didn't pop up previously.

However the GPS ground track displayed on my G5 is now rock solid, so one problem solved.
Kurt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:56am
I have the same problem with a combination of IFD550 and Skytrax. Very annoying as it also displays a constant 'MSG' flag in the PFD.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:36pm

Ok several flight segments today almost 4 hrs and I got the dreaded "datalink data not rcvd" message.  Alas not fixed in the software, guess just a coincidence that it didn't pop up previously.

However the GPS ground track displayed on my G5 is now rock solid, so one problem solved.

Pretty much the same result for me. NGT-9000, Aspen EFD 2000 Max, IFD540. NGT shows Airmets, IFD does not.
Helf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 10:40pm
I have this problem as well with 10.2.4.1 and my MLB100
Avidyne was sure it was the MLB100, but reverting to 10.2.3.1 resolved the problem.
Still, I upgraded to MLB100+ because I was worried the earlier (MLB100) was not going to work with newer versions. 
Now, my Avidyne dealer says he can't get the MLB100+ to work on my IFD550.
Can someone list the RS232 settings? I know the ports, but I need to confirm the settings.

Decibel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decibel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 11:30am

Hi, I understand that it is being work at but is there a way to disactivate this warning that keep coming on for the time being. 

Edited by Decibel - 31 May 2021 at 11:31am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Decibel Decibel wrote:

Hi, I understand that it is being work at but is there a way to disactivate this warning that keep coming on for the time being. 
No.  10.3 will adjust the alert to say "Overdue" instead of "Not Rcvd", which more accurately reflects the situation.  But the only way for the alert to stop appearing is for the IFD to successfully receive the datalink messages that it's expecting.

The alert is intended to indicate that the expected message hasn't been received from the ground station.  What's really happening in most of these instances, though, is that some part of the message is being dropped along the line and the IFD has to throw it all away.  If the messages were retransmitted frequently, you probably wouldn't notice it.  But, for instance, AIRMET messages are infrequently transmitted, so the IFD reaches the timeout period before it has a chance to be retransmitted.  Since the timeout period expires, you get an alert.

There's really nothing you can do on your end to help the situation.  Earlier in the thread I thought maybe the work we did for FreeFlight boxes had fixed the overall ADS-B dropping messages problem (because it affected common code).  Clearly, I was incorrect about that.  We're continuing to work on the issue within IFD software.  
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic