Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 440 Network Config Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neckdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 440 Network Config Questions
    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:55am
I am trying to set up the IFD440 as a client to my Stratus so that I can see traffic and weather from Stratus on the IFD100 app along with the NavData and still have radios on the IFD100 app.  I have the Jeppeson $299 Nav Data subscription.

So far, this is what I have tried as per the Avidyne Pilot Guide:

Defined WIFI Configurations:
Pg. 6-70:  In Maintenance mode:  Set up "Stratus" as a Remote WiFi and also have the IFD440 set up as a Local WiFi

Selecting Network Configuration:
Pg. 6-73:  Started the IFD440 in flight mode. Went to the AUX page, SETUP tab, and selected the Stratus as the desired SSID/Name.

On my Ipad, in settings selected Stratus for WiFi.  With this, I was able to see traffic on Foreflight but there was no traffic and no radio information on the IFD100.  Radio from the IFD440 in the panel was not being transmitted to the IFD100.

I tried setting the IFD440 (Local WiFi) as the desired SSID/Name with selecting IFD440 as the WiFi on the Ipad.  This gave me the radio information on the IFD100 and the NavData, but still no traffic or weather.

Is there a way to set up this system which will allow the IFD440 to have all of its function on the IFD100 and include the traffic and weather from Stratus?

LarryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 5:48pm
From your description, you are not using the full SSID for the Stratus. Check the WiFi connection on your IPad for the correct SSID. You can also look on the bottom of the Stratus for your SSID. The SSID will be similar to Stratus012345, where the numbers are the serial number for your unit.

Note too that both the SSID and the password (if used) are case sensitive.
TXCARGY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 6:34pm
If set up this way do I understand correctly that I would be able to get traffic on my IFD100 from my Stratus? I use Foreflight on a separate IPad.
Victor
Bellanca 17-31ATC
www.bellanca.us
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:43pm
Setting a password on the Stratus can cause problems.  I don't recall what the issue is.
Stan
LarryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:52pm
You will not see traffic on the IFD100 as the traffic has to be sent from the IFD440. The Stratus is not certified for traffic/weather input to the IFD440 but you will see traffic and weather in Foreflight. All other interface data between the IFD440 and the IFD100 will be shared. You can also send and receive flight plans in Foreflight between the IFD440.
LarryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:16pm
I have been using a password on my Stratus2s from the get go. No issues. Actually by doing so, the IPad will stay connected rather than trying to switch WiFi open networks while on the ground or low to the ground.

Also, make sure Cellular Data is turned off on all devices aboard the aircraft or in airplane mode for devices you are not using for flight. This helps by eliminating possible interference.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 7:34pm
You can get ADS-B Traffic and Weather from the Stratus onto the most recent version of the IFD100 app.  It only works with the Stratus 3, though.  You'll have to go to the IFD100 settings on the iPad to enable it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
TXCARGY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:29pm
Thanks for that information Steve
Victor
Bellanca 17-31ATC
www.bellanca.us
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 5:08pm
Say what??  When did this happen?  Only with Stratus 3?  What about Stratux?  Sounds like something to mess with on a rainy day.  (he said as he went into the other room to get his iPad, as the rain continued to fall outside)
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 9:02am
Steve,

Are you saying that the IFD-100 app can display traffic that originates from the Stratus3?  Or just that traffic from the IFD-540 (440) can pass thru to the IFD-100 on the Stratus3 WIFI network?

Edited by pburger - 22 Mar 2020 at 9:05am
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 5:59pm
I swear I've seen traffic on the IFD100 and I don't have traffic on my IFD540, must have come from my stratux.  Either that or it's been too long since I've gone flying.

Edited by brou0040 - 22 Mar 2020 at 6:00pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Are you saying that the IFD-100 app can display traffic that originates from the Stratus3?
Yes, with the latest version.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 8:10am
So traffic from the Stratus3 over wifi will display on the IFD100 but not on the IFD540, correct?

Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

So traffic from the Stratus3 over wifi will display on the IFD100 but not on the IFD540, correct?
Correct
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 5:14pm
Steve,

How specifically do you set that up?  I didn't see any settings to turn traffic on or off.

I know you said it was only on the Stratus3, so can you say it definitely won't work with Stratux?  or is there a chance that it might work?

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 8:33am
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

How specifically do you set that up?  I didn't see any settings to turn traffic on or off.

I know you said it was only on the Stratus3, so can you say it definitely won't work with Stratux?  or is there a chance that it might work?

The IFD100 Settings has an option for "WIFI ADS-B Support".  Turn that on.

I don't know whether it works with a Stratux.  When you find out, post back to let us all know.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
TXCARGY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 12:12pm
I can not find the option in settings fo WIFI ADS-B support. I have version 10.2.4 and ISO 12.4.5 on my IPad. Do I have the correct version of the IFD100? If not where do I get it?

Edited by TXCARGY - 24 Mar 2020 at 12:18pm
Victor
Bellanca 17-31ATC
www.bellanca.us
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 12:17pm
IFD100 version is 10.2.8 and it's available on the app store.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
TXCARGY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 12:21pm
Steve

Thanks for the quick response. I go to the Apple app store and it shows that I have the current version and there is no update available.
Victor
Bellanca 17-31ATC
www.bellanca.us
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:30pm
You certainly have the option, but you won't find it in the app itself. You need to find the app under the ipad Settings app after all the other system settings. It's in there where you also set which model IFD and unit numbers.

Edited by chflyer - 24 Mar 2020 at 1:32pm
Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:32pm
The ADS-B Support button is in Settings, not in the app per se.

Edited by ddgates - 24 Mar 2020 at 1:32pm
David Gates
TXCARGY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:41pm
Thanks for the information. Now I have got it. I was trying to do it thru the app.
Victor
Bellanca 17-31ATC
www.bellanca.us
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 4:13pm
Ahhh... In iPad settings.   I'll check that out tonight and report back.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:54am
I talked with a Avidyne and FF about this but am wondering if anyone else experiences this. 
I use the IFD 540 as the source and connect to that WiFi. I have found that FF will NOT show traffic or NexRad if the IFD 100 is running in the background. When I quit the IFD 100, traffic and NEXRAD appear on FF again.  The option in FF to show traffic in FF settings doesn’t even exist until I quit the IFD 100 app.

Edited by teeth6 - 25 Mar 2020 at 10:55am
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:06pm
As no one responded to the above, it seems I'm the only one experiencing this.  FF points to Avidyne to make a fix but Avidyne says FF must make a change.  In reality, it seems no one has this issue.  Would someone do a quick test for me when they next fly if they use their IFD as the WiFi source and use both FF and the IFD 100.  When using FF with the IFD running in the background, I do not get traffic or some weather products on FF.  With the IFD in the background, on the device page of FF, I see ONLY the Avidyne IFD connected (provides GPS and flight plan transfers). I don't have an option on the map page to even see traffic. Once I quit out of the IFD 100, the FF device page then shows the same Avidyne IFD but also an ADS-b connected (provides GPS and ADS-B).  Without the ADS-B (when the IFD100 is running) perhaps that's why I get no traffic or some weather on FF.  Only guessing but I'd love to solve this riddle. The top left pix is the device page when the IFD is running in the background and the top right pix is when the IFD100 app is quit out of.
The circled settings on the map page are not even an available choice when I have the IFD100 running in the background.  IF someone could confirm they are able to get these option in FF even with the IFD 100 running (when using the IFD 540/440 as the WiFi source), then I know it is something peculiar to my set up only.
LarryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 12:06am
it has been my understanding both an IPad with FF and another with the IFD100 will work on the IFD WiFi together from either reading an article or seeing a video. I have yet to try it though as I do not have two IPads. I do remember there are settings that have to be made for both to work.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 8:48am
Thanks but I'm speaking of using just ONE IPad.  I used to be able to use FF and the IFD 100 on the same IPad with one running in the background when the other app was the active one. Somewhere along the way,  FF stopped showing traffic and some weather products if the IFD 100 was running in the background and I'm trying to find out if it is just me.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 10:33am
We've tried your setup here and it works for us.  Our iPad is on iOS13.  If you're on an older version, you could try updating your iPad.

Also, set the "WiFi Open ADSB support" in the IFD100 App settings to "Off". It shouldn't actually make a difference for this problem, but might be worth a try.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 10:40am
Ugh...looks like I'm the problem child again.  I am on IOS 13.4 and I do have that ADSB support set to off.  When you have the IFD 100 in the background, do you still see both of the FF device icons in my picture on the right?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:06am
Sorry, don't remember.  My colleague will have to try it again next time he's in the office, but not sure when that will be.  We'll let you know.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:08am
Thank you
LarryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 7:03pm
Question. Doesn’t the version of the IFD100 have to be the same as the IFD? 

I just noticed my IFD100 is v10.2.4.1. My IFD550/540 are at 10.2.3.1.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 7:09pm
No.  You have the latest version of the IFD 100 and have not yet updated the panel mount to the interim release that came out last month.   10.2.4.1 is available for the panel mount but it was a very minor upgrade and not required to work with the IFD 100
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic