Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADS-B GPS Position Invalid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADS-B GPS Position Invalid
    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:16am
Hello everyone,

Has anyone had the above error?  It also says ADS-B Traffic Sensor lacks GPS position. This has only happened since the 10.2.3.1 update.  I've tried updating to 10.2.4.1 and the problem is still there.  I've read in a few places that others have experienced this and I was wondering if there is a solution?

Thank you.

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:33am
Did you verify the Main RS-232 Config setting after the update? 
Speedbird1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:37am
No sir.  I must have missed this.  Is it written in the documentation as I've looked through all the backup pages I took and don't see this.  Where can I find it?

Thank you.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:44am
Just found it...

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 1:02am
Which equipment do you have for ADS-B In and out?
What IFD software did you update from?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 11:06pm
I have a GTX330ES for out and I believe a MLB100 for in.  I still seem to be getting traffic failure warnings.

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:42am
Who did the upgrade, were the configuration settings before the upgrade copied or photographed?
Do you have 1 or 2 IFD units?

Is the GTX330ES  connected to the IFD 550? don't see a GPS position out for it. Is it working (you can check here https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx)

from the picture you sent, it seems these are the connections set up on the IFD

Channel 1 Shadin fuel IN Aviation out
Channel 2 GDL 69 XM receiver in and out

Channel 6 generic Capstone High speed traffic? if you have MLB 100, the input/output should be SkyTrax Trfc  

Also there should be  another channel for GPS position to the MLB 100, the output channel would be ADS-B+ (G)

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:06am
Upgrades were done by me.  I took a screenshot of all the configs before and I did notice that on the previous version CHNL 5 output was set to ADS-B+ (G) before the update.  Seems the update wiped that out and so I put it back in now.  I have an IFD550 and IFD450. 

I pulled a report just now and it came back as TIS-B Client 95.6%.  That was for a 2 hour flight at 10,500ft. 

If I set CHNL 6 to SkyTrax Trfc in/out then will this also pickup ADS-B Weather?  The weather info always seems really slow to update and then is out of date when it arrives (21mins +).  

Would you mind explaining to me roughly how the in/out works (RS232)?  My assumption is that for example on CHNL 1 (in) the JPI sends info to the IFD about how much fuel it has.  The IFD then sends (out) to the JPI how many miles until the next fix.  Like on CHNL 5 (now I've corrected it) the IFD sends the GTX330ES the WAAS GPS position.  Why would I be sending (OUT) the GDL69?   I'm trying to make sense of it.

thanks for any advice. 
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:24am
ADS-B weather by its very nature is always old. There is a great discussion of this in the linked presentation from the current FAA safety bulletin discussing weather products.  As noted in that presentation, 20+ minutes is not unusual.  It was also noted that the trade-off is between timeliness and accuracy, and this continues to be an area of focus by the FAA weather folks.
Stan
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 3:12pm
Use the screenshot to change the settings back to what you had before the upgrade, depends on what version you have before the update, however some things have changed after 10.2. Did you download the install manual when you got the update files?

The Skytrax also needs GPS position to display traffic on the IFD on one of the out channels (either Aviation or ADS-B+  (G)

You can contact the installer to find out what is wired on each channel if you have any questions, also you could contact Avidyne Tech support.

If you have the GDL 69, you can only use 1 source of weather and will have to choose between the XM or ADS-B weather

If you don't have GDL 69 XM receiver, then set CHNL 6 in and out to SkyTrax Trfc+Wx 

If both IFD's are connected to each other on CHNL 3, then set CHNL 3 to CrossSync on both units if you want that functionality
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:11pm
Any updates, is it working, or still getting alerts?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic