Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

got the Jepp package...it works almost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gzinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: got the Jepp package...it works almost
    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:16pm
So I purchased the Jepp package as per the Avidyne website. I was able to upgrade my 440 DB with no problems and download the navdata on my iPad so the two are sync up. All is good, only one problem, the Jepp plates are old and it says not for navigation. 

The approaches are correct but the actual plate/chart is not. Not sure if it makes sense. 

Thoughts?
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:26pm
The approaches are part of the NavData subscription. The plates are a different, extra cost subscription. 

I don't find plates useful even on my IFD540. I prefer to view them in ForeFlight, though I guess the IFD100 app could work too. I use the Aeronav plates on Foreflight, but if I really wanted Jepp, I'd get a subscription through FF. I like being able to grab my iPad and look at the plates more closely than possible on a panel-mounted unit. 

I'd check onthe details with Avidyne, but if you want to use the plates on the IFD100, you might have to spring for a more expensive subscription than just the $299 NavData. 
gzinga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gzinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:08am
got it thank you

Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

The approaches are part of the NavData subscription. The plates are a different, extra cost subscription. 

I don't find plates useful even on my IFD540. I prefer to view them in ForeFlight, though I guess the IFD100 app could work too. I use the Aeronav plates on Foreflight, but if I really wanted Jepp, I'd get a subscription through FF. I like being able to grab my iPad and look at the plates more closely than possible on a panel-mounted unit. 

I'd check onthe details with Avidyne, but if you want to use the plates on the IFD100, you might have to spring for a more expensive subscription than just the $299 NavData. 
But not for the IFD440.  Charts aren't available.
Bob
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:39pm
The NavData for the 440 and 540 (and 550, for that matter) is the same. You could buy a 540 subscription with charts and just load NAvData to the 440, and download the charts to the IFD100.

Having said that, check with Avidyne first if this is possible/necessary. I have not tried using the IFD100 with charts with an IFD440. 
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

The NavData for the 440 and 540 (and 550, for that matter) is the same. You could buy a 540 subscription with charts and just load NAvData to the 440, and download the charts to the IFD100.

Having said that, check with Avidyne first if this is possible/necessary. I have not tried using the IFD100 with charts with an IFD440. 
I wondered about that too.  The IFD100 would have to be setup as an IFD540, as there is no Charts Tab on the 440.  No idea if that could work.
Bob
gzinga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gzinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:16pm
I was just thinking of downloading the charts in the IFD100, I have the charts they are old for whatever reason Jeppesen allows me to download charts from 2014. 

I would expect IFD100 to be able to display the charts and still drive the 440 otherwise I would expect the chart page to be hidden. 

looks like Jeppesen mobile seat is $200
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:17am
If you buy the Jeppesen chart seats through Foreflight, I understand you can use them in three portable devices, even if some are not FF. This was a while back. Double check before proceeding.

Edited by HenryM - 02 Apr 2020 at 11:19am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 1:56pm
As HenryM said, the nav data for all IFDs is the same.  Jepp is aware that charts aren't available on the 440, but that you can still get them for use on the IFD100.  Worst case, you can just tell them that you have a 540, but that really shouldn't be necessary.

Bob, you are correct that you just have to configure the IFD100 model to be a 540 and it will work just fine with the panel mount 440.  Configure it in iPad settings for the IFD100.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic