Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Youtube Training series

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Youtube Training series
    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:38am
There is a new video training series for the IFD product line available on YouTube.  Tom Harper narrates the videos and does a great job of explaining how to use the system starting with the basics and continuing through some power user features.  Check it out!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 11:01am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

There is a new video training series for the IFD product line available on YouTube.  Tom Harper narrates the videos and does a great job of explaining how to use the system starting with the basics and continuing through some power user features.  Check it out!
Gary Reeves also has some great videos usually under "pilotsafetyorg".  Be very careful about using just anybody's instructional videos.  Some of the "experts" don't have a clue and appear to have never read the manual.
Bob
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

Be very careful about using just anybody's instructional videos.  Some of the "experts" don't have a clue and appear to have never read the manual.

I certainly can't argue with that.

But I suspect that Tom Harper from Avidyne knows what he's talking about. And he's using the "Flying with the Avidyne IFD" tutorial book as his reference for the course. So he definitely read the manual!

BTW... The book is pretty good too. [Shameless plug!]

Mike

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 12:49pm
AviSteve:
Please share with Tom Harper that the videos are well done and very informative, coupled with Mike's book.

A lot of it is intuitive, but I have to say there have been a few things where I had to admit "I didn't know it could do that!"

Thanks again for the pilot support.
David Gates
ttvetdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvetdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 4:26pm
Excellent video series for those new to the IFD's or even us who have had the boxes for a few years now.  Always pickup little tips and tricks with how to do things more efficiently.  Makes me love the Avidyne product even more.

Nicely done!
SR22 - KEQY
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 2:34am
Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

Be very careful about using just anybody's instructional videos.  Some of the "experts" don't have a clue and appear to have never read the manual.

I certainly can't argue with that.

But I suspect that Tom Harper from Avidyne knows what he's talking about. And he's using the "Flying with the Avidyne IFD" tutorial book as his reference for the course. So he definitely read the manual!

BTW... The book is pretty good too. [Shameless plug!]

Mike

I certainly hope my post didn't imply that Tom's weren't good instructional videos.  I'm sure they are great and I plan to go through them myself.  I've registered for the Avidyne webinar coming up as well.

I bought Gary Reeves' videos a couple of years ago since his videos were blessed by Avidyne, which is why I mentioned it.  I personally think we should only be using and recommending instructional videos blessed by Avidyne.  There are just too many incomplete and poorly done videos on the web.  

When pilots are shopping for a WAAS GPS, good videos will sell the IFD.  Bad ones, not so much.  Garmin can't touch Avidyne and I'm a shameless advocate.  

Bob
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 4:26pm
I don't think that you implied anything bad about the new videos. You just said to be careful, which is always a good idea.

Everyone learns differently. Videos never work for me; I always get impatient and want to hurry it up. I'd much rather read a manual. But not everyone is like that. The phone company is now offering custom videos to explain my phone bill! So I guess videos have their place.

I think that a variety of learning tools are necessary - videos to see the demo, a tutorial book to give more detail and to have a resource for a quick, easy-to-find review, and a pilot handbook for the official reference and in-depth explanation of all features. They all have their place.

That's what Avidyne is trying to do. It's great.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic