Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tap for info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tap for info
    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 2:11pm
If I'm flying along on the map view, and I tap on a nearby airport a small info box comes up.  Is there an easy way to bring up the full waypoint info page for that thing I just tapped on?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 4:31pm
There's no shortcut.  You just have to go to the info page and enter the identifier of the airport.  It would be nice if you could somehow tap again and have it take you to the info page.  We'll have to remember that...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:05pm
How about a work-around?

Don't tap on the airport, use the Nearest button instead. Select the airport from the list (it should be near the top if it's close). Then tap the INFO button at the bottom of the screen, and the PASTE ...  line select key. The data pages for the airport will be displayed.

Not as easy as double-tapping on an airport, But it gets you there in four keystrokes.

Mike

Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

How about a work-around?

Don't tap on the airport, use the Nearest button instead. Select the airport from the list (it should be near the top if it's close). Then tap the INFO button at the bottom of the screen, and the PASTE ...  line select key. The data pages for the airport will be displayed.

Not as easy as double-tapping on an airport, But it gets you there in four keystrokes.

Mike

Great suggestion!  I just may have to buy that book!
Bob
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 4:19pm
I shouldn't admit this, but that particular workaround isn't in the book.

However....  The NEAREST button is in the book, and so is the PASTE line select key and the INFO screen. So it was easy to fiddle with the simulator a bit and use the basics to put the procedure together.

The book focuses on basic stuff and stays away from cool tricks. I can never remember all those cool tricks anyway. I figured that if you had a good understanding of the basics you'd put together your own ways of doing things. Or you'd read the Avidyne manual (which is actually really good once you understand the basics) and develop a deeper understanding.

Glad that I could help a bit.

Mike

PS.. I think that it was very clever on Avidyne's part to populate the PASTE field when you tap on a NEAREST airport. Somebody was thinking.

doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 8:14pm
Alright but I don't necessarily want the nearest one, could be an airport near my destination.  Also it's 4+ clicks...  

While I'm busy being whining... :)   The "paste" function is good, but it would also be good to have the info page on a sensible default.  For example, when I select an approach and load it, then hit the map key, then rock over to the chart, the selected chart is still my origin airport diagram.  Why would I want that when I just loaded an approach?  Default it to the approach that's just been loaded, no?  Now I've got to paste the destination airport (or key it in), then scroll through all the charts for that airport to select the correct approach plate.

Edited by doog - 17 Apr 2020 at 8:16pm
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by doog doog wrote:

Alright but I don't necessarily want the nearest one, could be an airport near my destination.  Also it's 4+ clicks...
Hit NRST twice and the airports near your destination will show up.
Bob
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 10:00am
"While I'm busy being whining... :)   The "paste" function is good, but it would also be good to have the info page on a sensible default.  For example, when I select an approach and load it, then hit the map key, then rock over to the chart, the selected chart is still my origin airport diagram.  Why would I want that when I just loaded an approach?  Default it to the approach that's just been loaded, no?  Now I've got to paste the destination airport (or key it in), then scroll through all the charts for that airport to select the correct approach plate."

I've been asking for this for years.  NEVER made any sense. ( : < )
Jim Patton
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 8:32am
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

"While I'm busy being whining... :)   The "paste" function is good, but it would also be good to have the info page on a sensible default.  For example, when I select an approach and load it, then hit the map key, then rock over to the chart, the selected chart is still my origin airport diagram.  Why would I want that when I just loaded an approach?  Default it to the approach that's just been loaded, no?  Now I've got to paste the destination airport (or key it in), then scroll through all the charts for that airport to select the correct approach plate."

I've been asking for this for years.  NEVER made any sense. ( : < )

There may be some reason why this does not make sense, but I cannot think of it. If the Chart page defaulted to the active approach, it would be an incentive for me to maintain my chart subscription.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic