Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who's got an Aspen, and how do you like it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's got an Aspen, and how do you like it?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:11am
Slightly off-topic question, so I beg your indulgence.

A simple question:
If you have an Aspen-equipped airplane, how do you like it? Would you do it again?

Note that I am not asking for suggestions on what I should equip with instead of an Aspen, just feedback on the utility and ownership experience of the Pro 1000. 
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:31am
Hi Paulr-

I installed an Aspen EFD1000 Pro single tube display in 2015 and upgraded to the MAX last year. I have been really pleased with the quantity of information available and with the way that it interfaces with my IFD540. I use a Stratus for ADS-B in, so I do not display traffic or weather on the Aspen or the IFD.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:54am
I’ve got both PFD and MFD in my 210 and love the combination with Avidyne. I’d have a Dynon package if I could. 

Edited by MarkZ - 22 Apr 2020 at 8:54am
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:28am
I also have the pro 1500 system, and I recently updated it to the MAX, this spring. I love it, I would not have anything else. 

Edited by nrproces - 22 Apr 2020 at 10:29am
Sauce
100mileperhour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100mileperhour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:55am
I have the Pro 1000 with synthetic vision.  Love it! 

I like the spit screen options and coupled with the synthetic vision, lot of good information!

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:42am
I have the single-screen pro 1000 and generally like it quite a lot, especially compared to the analog stuff it replaced.  Mine is due for the MAX upgrade which should help with readability.  There are issues to be aware of:

1)  Mine is connected to the Lynx and so can show traffic and weather (and is unlocked for those). However, I find that those functions are not particularly useful on the Aspen (especially traffic) given the relatively small size of the screen.  I instead use an 11" iPad Pro on the control yoke running Foreflight for those functions. I don't have the synvis unlock so can't speak to that.  But I already get that information on the IFD540 and Foreflight so I doubt I'll be in a big hurry to buy the unlock.

2)  The screen is relatively small compared to several offerings from companies like G and Dynon. However, the G5 series is no bigger than the Aspen and previously offered less functionality, although I'm now seeing talk of G adding wind data, TAS and dual NAV sources to the G5, all of which the Aspen already includes and which I find very useful.

3)  The Aspen plays well with my IFD540/GNS 430W/S-Tec 30/NGT-9000 setup.  The dual NAV/VOR display and switchable NAV/GPS sources are very handy.

4)  I don't care much at all for how the Aspen displays VSI so had my mechanic reinstall an analog VSI.

5)  Not having to mess with DG precession is huge (as would be the case with any EFIS).

6)  The loss of all functionality with a blocked pitot is a known (and distressing) issue that the MAX upgrade apparently resolves to a significant degree by falling back to GPS data to continue providing useful information in the event of a pitot tube blockage.

The Aspen came with my plane so was not a decision I made.  For the relatively small amount of panel space it takes, and with a backup electronic AI giving the ability to lose the vacuum system, it still seems like a good value proposition.  If Aspen ever gets around to providing full digital control of the Genesys 3100, I could be tempted to spring for that upgrade.

Stan
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:43pm
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:33pm
I've got an E5 with the latest optional software upgrade and am very happy with it, would do it again.
Michael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:55pm
I have installed the PFD1000 Pro in two of my Mooneys, both with SynVis.  Never a moment's trouble with either.
Michael
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:15pm
I installed an ASPEN 1000 Pro seven years ago, and upgraded to the MAX this past year.

It has been a solid performer, never an issue. Love the functionality. Have the SV, AOA and traffic unlock. Feed traffic from my TAS605A. Works great with my STEC 55x.

Would I do it again? There are a lot more options available today, but the ASPEN gear would certainly be in the running. Would I want to pull it and install something else now, no.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Apr 2020 at 2:16pm
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:20pm
I just had the EFD 2000 MAX with EBB put in last December, replacing 7 round instruments.
  • Included is SynVis, TIS-B, FIS-B unlocks. Connected to IFD540, NGT-9000, TT/BK AeroCruze 100, and PSEngineering PM8000BT.
  • By far the most readable displays in direct sunlight of any in my cockpit - WOW!
  • GPS ADAHRS reversion is very nice to have.
    • Pitot/static problems don't leave you blind, but the system let's you know that you have a problem.
    • Add the RSM checks to your checklist.
  • Integrates nicely with the NGT-9000. I actually like to display traffic with IDs on the MFD map, unless I am displaying geolocated NACO IAP or AP Diagram. My tablet is now a backup EFB and checklist reader.
  • IFD integration is nice as well. HSI draws the flight plan and provides much information. My scan is now predominantly on the PFD, rather than constantly checking the IFD. It also allows me to use the IFD for more than map / flight path display.
  • Reversion PFD->MFD is almost instantaneous and quite seamless. 
  • With the external backup battery, the MFD will likely run for 4 hours as PFD, while the PFD should last an hour on the internal battery. Add the battery checks to your checklist.
  • Have the lifetime Seattle Avionics Chart subscription from the sale they had last December.
    • Be aware that it can take a while to download and copy over to SD the charts each month
    • It's handy to have extra microSD cards to load up each month and swap them 
  • Audio cues are great. It's like having a copilot telling me "Altitude" and "Approaching Minimums" and "Minimums" in my headset.
  • Having CAS, TAS, OAT, Wind Direction/Speed right in the PFD is very handy. I do more PIREPS now as a result (especially with the no airliners in the air now)
  • Vertical Speed and turn rate indications take a little practice. I see them quite quickly now.
  • NO more DG precession!
  • It will replace the 8th round instrument when my standalone Narco VOR or COM dies and I replace them with a new NAV/COM also feeding the Aspens.
I have about 25 hours with them so far. Would I do it again? Given the set of circumstances at that time, yes. I looked at the Dynon HDX, but already had invested in the NGT-9000 which does not integrate with the Dynon and I have plenty of screen real estate now. The Dynon would actually cost me more for the functionality I have now.

Hope this helps you a little.

cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 10:35am
I just upgraded to the Synthetic Vision.  It was previously a $2995 upgrade but they have it for $595 now.  This is the option to show just the AI/HSI or the synthetic vision in the background.  
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 12:09pm
Where did you find that $595 upgrade?

EDIT:  Never mind, I found it.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 25 Apr 2020 at 12:12pm
Stan
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:02pm
I find the biggest value to SV is the flight path marker (= Boeing FPV) and true sky horizon drawn on the PFD. Also makes hand flying a breeze.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Apr 2020 at 1:03pm
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I find the biggest value to SV is the flight path marker (= Boeing FPV) and true sky horizon drawn on the PFD. Also makes hand flying a breeze.

* Orest

Definitely like the FPM! Also gives you a visual depiction of your crab angle.

Also handy is the distance marker which defaults to 5nm but can be set to your choosing with a quick spin of the right knob. Draws a contour line at the specified distance so you can see on the SV when that ridge or airport is 5 (or 10) miles away. Helps in hazy conditions. 

Occasionally use it to help find traffic which is in the FOV (20 or 50 degrees depending on pilot selection).
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 12:45am
I've been flying the EFD1000 Pro for about 5 years with the IFD540, AXP340, SkyTrax 100, and STEC30.  I also have SV, AOA, and traffic on the Aspen.

Currently my plane is in the shop for the Aspen MAX upgrade, replace the AXP 340 and SkyTrax 100 with an NGT9000+ with active traffic, replace the STEC30 with an STEC55X. Really looking forward to the flight director, command bars, and altitude pre-select.  Also getting CIES fuel senders and carb temp probe to go with the JPI EDM900.

I love the Aspen. I did all of my instrument training and check-ride with it.  I've heard people talk about the small size of the Aspen making it hard to  see things but I don't feel that way at all and with the higher resolution of the MAX upgrade, I suspect things will only get better.  I'm really looking forward to the audible call-outs for approaching and at minimums along with the GPS redundancy of loss of pitot air.

I really like the SV and traffic on the Aspen and am looking forward to wx there too but don't know how that will be.  The SkyTrax 100 doesn't play well with the Aspen, and for that, it has to go.  The NGT9000+ is awesome.

A bit of input from anyone with an NGT9000 please?

The center stack is changing a little with the addition of the NGT9000+.  The AXP340 was in the bottom of the stack but I'm having the NGT moved up near the top.  The order will be:

PMA450
STEC55X
NGT9000+
IFD540
GNC255A

I'm moving the NGT9000+ up because of the two touch-screen displays.  I don't think it would be very visible down at the bottom.  The IFD will still be in a good spot for programming and will still be easily visible although once I load the flight and/or approaches, I rarely look at the IFD since the Aspen has a map underlay and all data that I need is displayed there.  I use the iPad for approach plates.  Anyone have this kind of setup?  What do you think?
Woo Hoo!!!
Fuz16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuz16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 12:10pm
I have a very similar set up in my Debonair.  I have the PSE450B audio panel on top due to size, then the NGT9000+, IFD550 and KX155.  My DFC90 head unit is in the center of the panel above the Yoke - this is so it is accessible to both pilots.  With the Avidyne keyboard on the pilots yoke, I rarely touch the IFD in flight (once it is set up with the flight plan).

I would move the NGT9000+ as high as possible on the panel
Lionudakis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionudakis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:51pm
I just installed an E5 with the unlock and love it so far, and for the money it's pretty hard to beat. Half way through instrument training and my gyros started acting up. Bye bye
N51CT 1962 Mooney M20C    aka..My mistress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 6:22pm
Update:

The longer my plane is in the shop, the more expensive it gets.  Dropped it off on Feb 17 and the plan was for a 3 week return.  A week into the job, a tornado ripped through Nashville which is about 15 miles north of where my plane is.  No damage there but some employees were severely impacted.  Just when they came back to work, Covid-19 hit.  They just got back to work last week and none too soon.  That project has taken on a life of its own.  I keep adding to it.  The latest is that I decided to get rid of the standby altimeter, the last vacuum instrument in the panel.  While I was doing that I decided to get rid of the old round gauge altimeter and ASI.  The G5 and GI 275 would work for the attitude indicator but is not certified to be standby to the Aspen.  The end result is that I now have added an Aspen 1000 MFD Max to the mix to give me an Aspen 2000 Max.  I'm also relocating the JPI  engine monitor to the left side.  Should be back home in a couple of weeks.  Woo Hoo.  Now comes the retraining, mostly in going from the STEC30 to the STEC55X.  Here is what it is supposed to look like when done.

Woo Hoo!!!
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 7:33pm
Kentucky Captain,
We are on similar journeys and we both are in Kentucky. 

Kudos on deciding to move the Lynx NGT-9000 up in the stack.
My stack is:
PSE PMA450A
Lynx NGT-9000+ (active traffic)
IFD-540
GNS430 non-WAAS
Stratus dual USB charging plug in the blank plate below.

My aged Century III autopilot is on lower left of my panel.

I have the Aspen PFD1000Pro & MFD500 w/ SV, AOA, Lynx ADSB-In unlocked on both.  I love the ADSB data on both screens, both graphical and textual weather.  Also all of that on the IFD-540 also.

I sprung for the MAX upgrade in May 2019 for 3 Aspen screens.  Purchased the Aspen MFD1000R w/ external battery.  So I will be a 3 Aspen screen aircraft.  With the MAX upgrade I will be able to remove ALL legacy backup AI, Altimeter, Airspeed.  I am adding the Aspen EA-100 to drive the attitude inputs on my Century III autopilot, thus able to lose the aged Edo-Aire Mitchell AI.  Lose the vacuum pump and plumbing.  My MAX upgrade scheduled date was supposed to be in February 2020.  With the Aspen reboot problem on some of the new MAX units, I was put on hold for sending my units in for upgrade, plus the whole pandemic thing too.  That Aspen issue resolved with an FAA approved software upgrade.

I just dropped off my aircraft for the upgrade on 5/14/2020 in Georgetown, KY.

Comment on the Lynx NGT-9000 Wi-Fi.  It is only built to drive 1 client device (iPad, etc.) with shared ADSB-In data.  It is definitely not the hardware to be a Wi-Fi access point for the everything in the aircraft to talk.  I originally kept trying to have my IFD-540 use the Lynx Wi-Fi as a remote Wi-Fi, so that I could use the IFD-100 and Foreflight connectivity to the IFD; while getting the ADSB-In data via the same Wi-Fi network.  I could get Foreflight iPad to work for a while, but could never get a reliable connection for the 2nd device.  Also, the 1st device would lose the Wi-Fi.

When Avidyne IFD software 10.2.3.1 came out, I upgraded so that I could gain the ability to share the ADSB-In data, via Avidyne Wi-Fi, that the IFD gets via a ARINC429 connection from the Lynx NGT-9000.  Now my in cockpit Wi-Fi network is ONLY attached to the IFD-540.  Stable, just works.

Edited by afassas - 15 May 2020 at 7:34pm
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 7:45pm
Alex -

I posted on another thread, but I discovered my #2 IFD540-WiFi seems more Robust than the #1 IFD540 WiFi.  Like you say, the #2 WiFi "just works" with iPad using multiple Apps (FF, IFD100, FlyQ).

Config:
. Aspen PFD/MFD with SynVis, AOA, EA100
. IFD540 x2
. TAS-A 605 Active traffic
. Skytrax100 ADSB
.C-2000 AP

Tom W.
Comanche 260-GTO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by afassas afassas wrote:

Kentucky Captain,
We are on similar journeys and we both are in Kentucky. 

Kudos on deciding to move the Lynx NGT-9000 up in the stack.
My stack is:
PSE PMA450A
Lynx NGT-9000+ (active traffic)
IFD-540
GNS430 non-WAAS
Stratus dual USB charging plug in the blank plate below.

My aged Century III autopilot is on lower left of my panel.

I have the Aspen PFD1000Pro & MFD500 w/ SV, AOA, Lynx ADSB-In unlocked on both.  I love the ADSB data on both screens, both graphical and textual weather.  Also all of that on the IFD-540 also.

I sprung for the MAX upgrade in May 2019 for 3 Aspen screens.  Purchased the Aspen MFD1000R w/ external battery.  So I will be a 3 Aspen screen aircraft.  With the MAX upgrade I will be able to remove ALL legacy backup AI, Altimeter, Airspeed.  I am adding the Aspen EA-100 to drive the attitude inputs on my Century III autopilot, thus able to lose the aged Edo-Aire Mitchell AI.  Lose the vacuum pump and plumbing.  My MAX upgrade scheduled date was supposed to be in February 2020.  With the Aspen reboot problem on some of the new MAX units, I was put on hold for sending my units in for upgrade, plus the whole pandemic thing too.  That Aspen issue resolved with an FAA approved software upgrade.

I just dropped off my aircraft for the upgrade on 5/14/2020 in Georgetown, KY.

Comment on the Lynx NGT-9000 Wi-Fi.  It is only built to drive 1 client device (iPad, etc.) with shared ADSB-In data.  It is definitely not the hardware to be a Wi-Fi access point for the everything in the aircraft to talk.  I originally kept trying to have my IFD-540 use the Lynx Wi-Fi as a remote Wi-Fi, so that I could use the IFD-100 and Foreflight connectivity to the IFD; while getting the ADSB-In data via the same Wi-Fi network.  I could get Foreflight iPad to work for a while, but could never get a reliable connection for the 2nd device.  Also, the 1st device would lose the Wi-Fi.

When Avidyne IFD software 10.2.3.1 came out, I upgraded so that I could gain the ability to share the ADSB-In data, via Avidyne Wi-Fi, that the IFD gets via a ARINC429 connection from the Lynx NGT-9000.  Now my in cockpit Wi-Fi network is ONLY attached to the IFD-540.  Stable, just works.

I live in Louisville but my airplane is based out of BRY.  We're only 57 miles apart.  I was a controller at SDF for 27 years before retiring in 2014.  We started the Kentucky Pilots Association, primarily at BRY but we have members from many airports now and our airport is growing.  We've managed to get 100LL fuel down to $3.79 right now.  We do lots of fly-outs and are always looking for places to fly to for breakfast or lunch.  Do you have anywhere accessible to the airport that we could do that?  I keep adding to the list on our website, flykpa.org, but nothing from your airport.

As to the NGT9000+, I kept rearranging the stack and it just seemed logical if you quit thinking of it as only a transponder.

I'm also going to really love the STEC55X.  It's like it and the Aspen were designed around each other.  All of the annunciation is on the Aspen.  I'm replacing the ACU1 for an ACU2 and will have a flight director now.  Full VNav, Altitude pre-select, all of the toys.

They are upgrading to the new firmware for the Avidyne.  I have a Stratus II mounted in the back acting as the host for WiFi.  I was going to take it out but I think I will just leave it for a backup but I am returning the IFD540 back to being host like you are doing.  The NGT9000+ will be wired directly into the IFD540 so that it won't need to be WiFi and I have two iPads running Foreflight that will get their ADS-B and other info from the IFD540.  I'm wondering if the new IOS update that allows screen sharing will allow the IFD100 and Foreflight to co-exist, not that I need it at this point.  The cockpit is getting just plane stupid with displays.  I use Foreflight mostly for approach plates and only do nav data from Jepp on the IFD.

We need to get together.  There is another IFD540 owner in Louisville but we haven't connected yet other than exchange emails.  We also have two other IFD owners on my field.

Like I said, we are always looking for somewhere to fly to, especially if it involves food.  Send me a PM and we can exchange info.
Woo Hoo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Alex -

I posted on another thread, but I discovered my #2 IFD540-WiFi seems more Robust than the #1 IFD540 WiFi.  Like you say, the #2 WiFi "just works" with iPad using multiple Apps (FF, IFD100, FlyQ).

Config:
. Aspen PFD/MFD with SynVis, AOA, EA100
. IFD540 x2
. TAS-A 605 Active traffic
. Skytrax100 ADSB
.C-2000 AP

Tom W.
Comanche 260-GTO

Every time they come out with a firmware update, things just get better.  The only thing that Avidyne has that I don't like is the SkyTrax100.  It doesn't play well with others.  When I bought the AOA, Synthetic Vision, ADS-B unlocks, I found that the ADS-B one will not work with the SkyTrax100 and they swapped out the ADS-B unlock for the Hazard Awareness one.  It works but the symbology is much more primitive and there are limits to what you can see on the Aspen display.  When NavWorks went bust, it left the SkyTrax for dead with no hope of any upgrades.  In this upgrade I decided to ditch the SkyTrax and the AXP340 for the NGT9000+ with active traffic.  Aspen is giving me the ADS-B unlock and all should be good.
Woo Hoo!!!
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 8:18pm
 https://www.flickr.com/gp/125356136@N02/113W40
I think I’ve solved the issue with my left fuel gauge dropping out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 2:47am
Originally posted by MarkZ MarkZ wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/125356136@N02/113W40
I think I’ve solved the issue with my left fuel gauge dropping out.

Previous panel upgrade I thought I had also.  I installed a JPI EDM900 and had the old Cessna fuel senders rebuilt.  What a waste of money.  Over the last four years I'd be flying along and the right gauge would drop to empty for a minute then come back.   I think I have the cure now.  In this panel upgrade part of it will be to replace the Cessna senders with CIES digital sending units.  Of course it required that the EDM900 go back to JPI to have it converted to digital probes.  While it was there I decided to add a carb temp probe as well which requires some programming.  One more thing I did was replace the old Cessna flap gauge with a digital one.

BTW:  Nice bird there.  Is that a C210 Turbo?  I saw some of your other photos on your Flickr account.  Are you involved with the RV12 build for that school.  That's great.  I'm president of our Kentucky Pilots Association and we gave the school system a Carbon Cub kit, a place to build it at our airport, KBRY, and a professional paint booth was donated by another school system.  We are selling the Cub built this year and will be able to buy the Carbon Cub kit for next year and have enough funds to put 7 to 10 high schools students through their PPL.
Woo Hoo!!!
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:47am
Yes, it’s a ‘77 T-210 that I personally rebuilt stem to stern. 
Yes, I’m a mentor at our local high school and we are flying our second RV-12 and awaiting a spot in the paint shop. (I’d love to have that Dynon package in the Cessna) We should have our 3rd -12 flying Christmas. It’s great to see the students build these projects. 
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 1:01pm
In my TR182 stack, I find it works better to keep the NGT9000 a bit lower down.  So the order from top to bottom is:

PMA8000B
IFD540
GNS430W
NGT9000
Switch bank (Aspen on/off, autopilot on/off, standby alt on/off)

The EDM930 is on the co-pilot side.

As the traffic and weather from the Lynx shows in Foreflight on the iPad, I never look at the Lynx display except to change squawk codes.  When/if I replace the S-Tec 30 with a 3100, I'll probably put that control head directly below the Lynx and move the switch bank down.

The Lynx works great and interfaces well with the Aspen and the IFD540, although sometimes it can be a bit difficult to change codes when it's bumpy.  I can also confirm that the NGT9000 does NOT work reliably as the wifi router.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 16 May 2020 at 1:13pm
Stan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

In my TR182 stack, I find it works better to keep the NGT9000 a bit lower down.  So the order from top to bottom is:

PMA8000B
IFD540
GNS430W
NGT9000
Switch bank (Aspen on/off, autopilot on/off, standby alt on/off

The EDM930 is on the co-pilot side.

As the traffic and weather from the Lynx shows in Foreflight on the iPad, I never look at the Lynx display except to change squawk codes.  When/if I replace the S-Tec 30 with a 3100, I'll probably put that control head directly below the Lynx and move the switch bank down.

The Lynx works great and interfaces well with the Aspen and the IFD540, although sometimes it can be a bit difficult to change codes when it's bumpy.  I can also confirm that the NGT9000 does NOT work reliably as the wifi router.

I really liked the 3100 but there was some issue between the C172, Aspen, and IFD that it wouldn't work.  The Genesis rep actually called me to offer the refurb STEC55X.  I had Carpenter Avionics purchase it for me since they were going to be doing my Aspen Max upgrade.  They gave me a very good installed price.  Then I kind of went crazy the longer it was there.  Hopefully, I'm out of things to upgrade in the panel now.

We hashed out the location of the NGT9000+ over several weeks.  They said that if I don't like it there, they would move it.  The only thing that I look to my iPad for is usually approach plates.  My wife will use her iPad to search for traffic, especially in dense traffic areas, and she also likes the profile view if I'm stupid enough to scud run instead of filing.

I thought that the most important position would be where the 55X goes since it is critical in multiple phases of flight.  We'll see.
Woo Hoo!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic