Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS OOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS OOS
    Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:52pm
My last two flights I was unable to get GPS functionality.  I checked today and observed 12 satellites all with good signals when I checked the IFD 540 unit...but still no GPS functionality.  How many satellites do you need to get the GPS to work?  I checked the FAA website and found no issues of GPS satellites being OOS.
Frank
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:08pm
Four satellites for full functionality.  You saw 12 good satellites on the IFD GPS status page?  When you say "no GPS functionality", what do you mean?  You got a "no position" message?  The map not centered on the airplane and a red-x at the top?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:14pm
Thanks for your prompt reply.  I did see 12 satellites on the GPS status page.  The GPS icon in the upper right stayed yellow and I was unable to use the autopilot in Nav mode at all.  This has happened twice recently.  I'm so open to suggestions as how to fix this issue
Frank
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:31pm
A yellow GPS doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have a good GPS position.  The upper right corner of the display shows the nav mode, not GPS health.  If you don't have an active flight plan, then the IFD will not provide guidance and that nav mode indication will be yellow.

To evaluate GPS health, look at the GPS status page for a position and a GPS mode like "SBAS".  You can also check for a good position by looking at the map.  If you see an airplane symbol and the map is centered wherever you are, then you're getting a good position.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic