Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Levil BOM compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Levil BOM compatibility
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:22pm
I have been looking at an interesting GPS called a BOM made by Levil. Dont have their URL but if you Google Levil BOM you can find it. What this is, is a GPS device that looks like a small torpedo and mounts outside the airplane. This thing has AHRS, WAAS GPS, Angle of Attack, airspeed (not ground speed) plus airdata. This thing is self powered by a small turbine on the end that charges the internal batteries while inflight. Uses WIFI and works with Foreflight among other electronic moving map systems. Since their are NO WIRES as this thing is mounted totally outside  the aircraft. Uses wifi like Foreflite but no Stratus (or other GPS receivers) mounted inside with all its associated wires. Anyone tried this with the IDF100?

BTW, this thing is approved for installation on Certified Aircraft under NORSEE, similar to the Stratus and other WAAS receivers. Will not interface with certified (ie IDF 440-540 etcl

Has anyone else looked at this thing? I am tempted even though it is relatively expensive. 

Claude
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 3:03pm
It's been out a while and hopefully there are some users that can help you with their experiences. I had seen it at Sun N Fun (prior year) and asked the young lady at the booth how the GPS could get a signal without a remote antenna when it's mounted under a wing. She didn't know.
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 2:33am
I know the answer to that. There is a WAAS GPS antenna that sticks out of the bottom of the GPS equipped models. You can buy this without GPS, but I do not know why you would.  The main downside I see on this thing is the price, although I suppose I could put my Stratus II on e-bay and recover some of this.

Claude
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:28am
If the GPS antenna sticks out of the bottom of the BOM and it's under the wing, how does it have a clear view of the sky?
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:49pm
It does not get mounted "under" the wing, but rather on or near the leading edge like a peto tube. This is so the angle of attack can be calibrated. The unit has a clear forward view of the sky, enough to receive a good signal. As a WAAS unit it needs both ground and sky signals just as any other WAAS GPS. My Stratus II external GPS antenna is on the bottom of my fuselage (looks like a Pin type Transponder antenna). It has no problems or issues like dropping a GPS signal. As a matter of fact, it works sitting on the ground in my hanger.

Claude
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 5:51am
What is the compatibility question here, and how is it related to Avidyne? Sorry, but I miss the Avidyne relevance, given the opening post statement that it won't interface with installed units like the IFD's.
Vince
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 3:10am
Because I was thinking of using this instead of a Stratus II as a server through my IDF440, which I use now to run both my IDF100 and Foreflight. It is all related. Just seeing if anyone has already tried this, and if it worked, I might consider purchasing one. I like the idea of eliminating the wires and clutter associated with the Stratus II (nothing in the cockpit or on the glairshield) and I certainly like the fact that this thing is self powered for obvious reasons . Certainly was not intended to offend any "Purist" out their. The IDF series can be interfaced and functions well with many non Avidyne products.
Claude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic