Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding airports to database

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding airports to database
    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 9:35am
How easy is it to get airports added to the Jepp database?  I've notice that there are a lot of airports in my local area that are not in the database.  I like having the MAP function up when flying and having the Nrst option is useful but so many private fields are missing.   

Will Jepp do a multi-add if you email them?

Thanks.

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:43pm
They're pretty responsive.  I've tried in the past to just get all private airports added, but they were unwilling to do that.  So I end up peppering them with requests as they come up.  If you want to try it yourself, feel free to write navdatatechsupport@jeppesen.com.  If you have difficulty, send the list to me and I'll make a run at it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Speedbird1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:11pm
Thank you! 

I just put in a request.  I'll see what happens.  It doesn't seem unreasonable especially considering that Foreflight has them plus much more and it is less than the cost of my Jeppesen subscription.  Ironic, is it not they not both owned by Boeing and therefore you'd think there was some consistency across such!

Edited by Speedbird1 - 10 Jul 2020 at 4:21pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Speedbird1 Speedbird1 wrote:

... you'd think there was some consistency across such!
That's cute ;)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Originally posted by Speedbird1 Speedbird1 wrote:

... you'd think there was some consistency across such!
That's cute ;)

I agree ;-)

I was on a ForeFlight webinar recently where someone asked when more integration could be expected with Jepp avionics data since ForeFlight was now owned by Jeppesen. The ForeFlight rep sort of chuckled and only replied that they are owned by Boeing or something along that line. ;-)
Vince
firebreather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebreather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 1:46pm

They're pretty responsive.  I've tried in the past to just get all private airports added, but they were unwilling to do that.  So I end up peppering them with requests as they come up.  If you want to try it yourself, feel free to write navdatatechsupport@jeppesen.com.  If you have difficulty, send the list to me and I'll make a run at it.

Steve,

I would appreciate your help with Jepp.  We frequent an airstrip in the Bahamas at Pittstown Point on Crooked Island.  The airstrip is in the Garmin database, but when we switched over to the Avidyne IFD, the airstrip was not in the database.

The airstrip identifier is MYCP.  It is called Flying Pigs in the Garmin database.

Thanks,

Steve
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by firebreather firebreather wrote:

...I would appreciate your help with Jepp.  We frequent an airstrip in the Bahamas at Pittstown Point on Crooked Island...The airstrip identifier is MYCP.  It is called Flying Pigs in the Garmin database.
Request submitted, I'll let you know what I find out.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 4:21pm

Originally posted by firebreather firebreather wrote:

...I would appreciate your help with Jepp.  We frequent an airstrip in the Bahamas at Pittstown Point on Crooked Island...The airstrip identifier is MYCP.  It is called Flying Pigs in the Garmin database.
Request submitted, I'll let you know what I find out.
Just heard back from Jeppesen.  They are unable to include MYCP in the database because the Bahamian authorities don't publish any information yet.  It has been listed as "under development" since 2019.  I'm not sure how your Garmin unit would have had this in it, but the only explanation I can think of would be that it was sourced from somewhere other than Jeppesen.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
firebreather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebreather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 4:47pm
I talked with someone at Jepp a while back and he said they had an indemnification from a source that allowed Jepp to put it in the database.  The guy I talked to didn't know who that source was.  I assumed it was from the owner of the airstrip because he regularly flies their King Air 200 in there.  So I asked the pilot of the King Air and he said he didn't do it.

It is possible that the previous owner would have gotten it into the Garmin database.  I have been flying there since 2006 and it was always in the Garmin database.

Strange that Jepp cannot include it in the Avidyne database because it is a very active airstrip with everything from small piston airplanes to Cessna Citations.

Thanks for the effort anyway.

comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 2:47pm
You can also create a user waypoint and tell the IFD that it's an airport.  This will, at least get you better FMS departure / destination behavior and get the FLTA to stop warning you that you are about to crash on final. 
This is spelled out  in the pilot's guide:

WPT (USER WAYPOINTS) TAB ............................................................. 2-47
Creating a User Waypoint ..................................................................... 2-47
Naming A User Waypoint...................................................................... 2-48
Deleting a User Waypoint ..................................................................... 2-49
Designating a User Waypoint as an Airfield..........................................2-49
NRST (NEAREST) TAB ........................................................................... 2-51

DESIGNATING A USER WAYPOINT AS AN AIRFIELD
To designate a user waypoint as an airfield, the waypoint must be manually named using the following format “AIRPORT XXXXXFT” where XXXX is the field’s elevation and note that the space is critical in naming the point.

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic