Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skip the Hold???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve.crimm@stephens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skip the Hold???
    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:13pm
First...I'm a new IFD440 user
Dynon Skyview HDX + IFD440 +RV-10

On a training flight yesterday after a missed approach at KAIK is selected direct to KFDW.  I then selected procedures and loaded the RNAV (GPS) Rwy 04 approach with a full stop planned for fuel.  I was letting the Skyview fly the aircraft and when we got to WISBU the 440 told it to enter the hold which I allowed.  The 440 gave me the message of departing hold at fix, which it did.  After executing the hold, we started the approach with an uneventful landing.

My question is...

How do I load a procedure like this on the 440 and NOT have it enter the hold.  I would not like to select vectors to final as an option because this was almost a straight in approach.  Or is this possible.

Thanks
Vans RV-10
PMA7000BT
IFD440
Dynon Skyview HDX
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:43pm
After WIBSU, you'll see hold as the next waypoint.  Highlight it.
1. If the approach has not been activated, press CLR.
2. If the approach has been activated:
       a. Bottom left LSK will have "Delete Hold" as its action, press it.
       b. Or, Press Clear.

BTW, you came in on a NoPT route.  You are not authorized to do a procedure turn unless you request one and ATC clears you to do so.  Did your instructor say anything about that?

Edited by Bob H - 13 Jul 2020 at 2:46pm
Bob
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by steve.crimm@stephens steve.crimm@stephens wrote:

First...I'm a new IFD440 user
Dynon Skyview HDX + IFD440 +RV-10

On a training flight yesterday after a missed approach at KAIK is selected direct to KFDW.  I then selected procedures and loaded the RNAV (GPS) Rwy 04 approach with a full stop planned for fuel.  I was letting the Skyview fly the aircraft and when we got to WISBU the 440 told it to enter the hold which I allowed.  The 440 gave me the message of departing hold at fix, which it did.  After executing the hold, we started the approach with an uneventful landing.

My question is...

How do I load a procedure like this on the 440 and NOT have it enter the hold.  I would not like to select vectors to final as an option because this was almost a straight in approach.  Or is this possible.

Thanks

The hold will always load with the WISBU transition. The hold can be cleared from the flight plan at any time by selecting the hold in the FMS - FPL tab and pushing the CLR key. Alternatively, if there is not a gap between the active waypoint and the approach course reversal hold, if you select the hold on the FMS - FPL tab, "Delete Hold" will appear and can be selected at the L4 LSK.

Lastly, if a procedure hold loads at the FAF, "Skip Hold" will appear on the FMS - FPL tab at the L4 LSK within 5 miles of the FAF according to the IFD pilot guide.

steve.crimm@stephens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve.crimm@stephens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:01pm
Bob, Hence the reason to skip the hold since it isn't authorized.

So I can also highlight the hold in the sequence and the clear it...correct?

Addition question...one leads to many.

Why doesn't the 440 recognize that a hold is not authorized, and not present it as an default/option?

Thanks
Vans RV-10
PMA7000BT
IFD440
Dynon Skyview HDX
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:28pm

Bob, Hence the reason to skip the hold since it isn't authorized.

So I can also highlight the hold in the sequence and the clear it...correct?

Addition question...one leads to many.

Why doesn't the 440 recognize that a hold is not authorized, and not present it as an default/option?

Thanks
Yes, highlight and clear.  Or depending on circumstances as mentioned by dmtidler, the L4 LSK may have "Delete Hold" or "Skip Hold" as an action.

It is always possible that you may want to do the PT based on losing altitude or ATC puts you in a hold there.  Also, if you were coming from the other direction, a PT is required.  I think its too much overhead for the IFD to figure out all the nuances for the PT on all approaches.  The bottom line is it can't know when you will or when you won't, so needs to give you all the options that are available and have you decide what is the best course of action.
Bob
steve.crimm@stephens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve.crimm@stephens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:31pm
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I am also running the trainer now and going thru all the options/scenarios  you all described.  What a great learning tool.

Thanks again.
Vans RV-10
PMA7000BT
IFD440
Dynon Skyview HDX
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:44pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I am also running the trainer now and going thru all the options/scenarios  you all described.  What a great learning tool.

Thanks again.
There are also the Avidyne training videos.
Webinars
Well worth checking them out.

Sounds like you have a nice setup with your RV-10.  Have fun!
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic