Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Nav Source for GI275?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD Nav Source for GI275?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:13pm
More functionality is coming out of the GI275, including ability to drive the GFC500 autopilots.

I was told unequivocally that the IFD series are not on the approved navigator list.

Are there any plans to address this?  Unknown to me if that is something that Avi can do or G* has to do?
David Gates
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:29pm
I’ve considered this as a way to rid myself of a vacuum system. I understand the GI-275 will drive a 400B but it’s going to have to do it with an IFD540 if it goes in my panel. Any chance a new PFD/MFD be on the horizon from the elfs in the back room in Melbourne?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 6:24am
Thread drift ....

One way to get rid of the vacuum system is to install an uAvionix AV-30 (STC pending, paperwork with FAA). From their web site:
"We are asking for approval to utilize the AV-30 as a stand-alone attitude indicator, attitude indicator and directional gyro (dual unit installation), installation as a replacement for the turn coordinator (leaving the existing attitude indicator in place), and as the required backup in an EFIS installation.

If the installation configuration leaves no instruments that require a vacuum source, the vacuum pump system may be removed from the aircraft via a 337 field alteration process. The removal of the vacuum system is not included in the AV-30-C STC approval."

... would likely cost about the same as replacing a TC should it fail.

Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:56pm
Back to original question.

Will the IFD get included as approve nav source for the GI275?
David Gates
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:11am
I'm assuming that the "approved navigator list" that you're referencing is in the Garmin Installation Manual.  If so, Avidyne has no control over that list.

The GI275 is obviously new, so it is not included in our STC.  Our STC does get updated from time to time.  Whether a particular piece of equipment is referenced in the STC is based on several factors including market demand, equipment availability, value proposition, manpower, etc.  Whether the GI275 will be included in the next STC update, whenever that might be, is yet to be determined.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 2:05pm
Thanks, my suspicion is that it is the same interface as the G5, and one would expect a lot of GI275s will be sold now that it supports the GFC500. 

So please add it to your list.

Thanks!
David Gates
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 2:27pm
As a Century III owner (mine still works great) I’m very interested in an upgrade path that allows me to retain the C-III.

If the new GI-275 doesn’t play nicely with my IFD 540 that would be a big problem (for me).
jeffcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jeffcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:34pm
I am very keen to have 2 GI 275's and GFC 500 interface with my IFD 540, as it seems to be the most complete solution, and will be available for Comanches soon.
I am unhappy to see that the lack of height above ground info from the IFD 540 prevents GFC 500 underspeed protection etc from working. 
I hope Avidyne is able to remedy these issues soon, as I don't want to have to go to a Garmin Navigator instead of my IFD 540.
Thanks to the contributors of this forum for bringing these issues to light, as I was unaware of them.
Regards
Jeff
Jeff
Bweb99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bweb99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:35am
The IFD 540 nor the 440 are approved as the GPS source/navigator on G*’s installation manual nor the IFD 540/440 installation approved interface equipment list from Avidyne for either the G5 Attitude Indicator nor the GFC500. Many long discussions on this site about including this very popular component but it has never been included.  So I doubt the GI275 would be any different.  It does have the GAD 42 Nav interface on Avidyne’s approved equipment list. 
Bweb99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bweb99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:40am
so far “crickets” on this issue. I wish I had read all of this website before we installed our G5/GFC500 with our two IFD540’s. We are working diligently with our installation shop to find a solution. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Bweb99 Bweb99 wrote:

We are working diligently with our installation shop to find a solution. 

What exactly is the problem? The GFC500 supports GNS devices in the STC, and the Avidyne can be installed as a compatible replacement for that. GNS connection to a G5 AI also needs a GAD29B, and as mentioned above, that is also supported by the IFD.

I have a G5/GAD29B/IFD540 installed for over a year and am considering replacing my STEC30 with the GFC500, so I'm interested in hearing of roadblocks to that route.

Edited by chflyer - 18 Jul 2020 at 2:45pm
Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 1:24pm
There is even a video on youtube from Avi tech support (TJ) outlining the connection between the IFD and the G5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnXLT7NcTRs

Edited by ddgates - 18 Jul 2020 at 1:37pm
David Gates
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 1:34pm
I installed 2G5’s,  GAD42, a KFC500 already having an IFD 540 in my Cessna 182.  Everything works perfectly and I couldn’t be happier.
Frank
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Froethel Froethel wrote:

I installed 2G5’s,  GAD42, a KFC500 already having an IFD 540 in my Cessna 182.  Everything works perfectly and I couldn’t be happier.

Did you mean a GFC500 vs KFC500? If so, did you have a GAD 42 installed as well as a GAD 29B?
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 2:26pm
yes, a typo.  It is a GFC500 and I believe I have both the GAD42 and the GAD 29B.....but I’ll check to confirm the GAD 29 B
Frank
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 3:08pm
I checked, and I have both, GAD42 and GAD29 B
Frank
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Froethel Froethel wrote:

I checked, and I have both, GAD42 and GAD29 B

Interesting, do you know where the GAD 42 is wired into the system (i.e. between the IFD540 and the GAD 29B)? Were both the GAD 42 and GAD 29B added to your airplane during the G5 and/or GFC 500 install? 

Edited by dmtidler - 18 Jul 2020 at 8:59pm
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:01pm
yes, everything was added in the G5 and GFC 500 install.....but I couldn’t tell,you how it is wired.
Frank
martinhorton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinhorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 8:56am
I own a Comanche. Where did you get the idea that the GFC500 would be available for the Comanches. I know that STEC is certifying the 3100 but I thought Garmin had dropped the GFC500 on Comanches, or at least pushed it back.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 9:46am
Hello Avidyne,

Any update on GI-275 functionality with the IFD 540?

Now I’m seriously considering dual GI-275’s to replace my air driven horizon and King HSI, it would enable me to get rid of the air gyro system (pump, regulator, filter, plumbing, gauge, etc.), have fail over redundancy, internal battery backups, GPSS steering, plus it will drive my Century III autopilot.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 1:06pm
What exactly does the GAD 42 do and why is it needed? The usually loquacious Germin web site doesn't give any usable information on the GAD 42. I have a single G5 AI, IFD, and GAD29B but no GAD42. The GAD29B provides the 2-way communication interface between the IFD (ARINC) and the G5 (CAN-bus). The G5 has RS232 input but otherwise needs the CAN-bus which is where the GAD29B comes in.
Vince
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 6:18pm
The GAD 42 offers the following interface possibilities: 
ARINC 407 format 3-wire XYZ synchro Heading input 
ARINC 407 format 3-wire XYZ synchro or 4-wire Sin/Cos Selected Course Drive 
ARINC 407 format 3-wire XYZ synchro or 4-wire Sin/Cos Remote Selected Course Input 
ARINC 407 format 3-wire XYZ synchro or 4-wire Sin/Cos GPS RMI/OBI output 
ARINC 407 format 3-wire XYZ synchro or 4-wire Sin/Cos NAV RMI/OBI output (when interfaced with GNS 430/530) 
ARINC 561 format analog roll steering output for use with flight control systems 
ARINC 561/568 distance display on compatible indicators 
ARINC 561 6-wire interface for Rockwell Collins EHSI 74 & EFIS 85/86 King serial distance display on compatible indicators 
ARINC 545/KIFIS XYZ synchro or 
ARINC 565 AC/DC TAS input 
RS-422 serial data input from Rockwell Collins digital course selector 
RS-422 serial data NAV/ILS output for Rockwell Collins EFIS 85/86 (when interfaced with GNS 430 or GNS 530) 
ARINC 429 Low speed/High speed conversion 
ARINC 429 Binary/BCD distance conversion
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:03am
Thanks. For the most part, that looks like information needed for a G5 as HSI but not AI. 
Vince
Phidoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phidoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:45am
Also anxiously awaiting an official word on IFD/GI-275 support. 
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 1:04pm
I’d like to see the 550 drive an autopilot.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:01pm
I was looking through the installation for the G5 and the GAD 42, unless I'm reading it wrong according to the G5 installation manual the GAD 42 is Only used with non-WAAS GNS and non-
Garmin Autopilot is interfaced (Garmin's emphasis not mine).

I don't see the KFC500 listed in the G5 install manual, maybe that's why the GAD 42 was needed?
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Phidoug Phidoug wrote:

Also anxiously awaiting an official word on IFD/GI-275 support. 
Me too.

I was told today by an avionics shop that they will not quote a dual GI 275 installation for me because they have no way to get it approved.

Not good for Avidyne or Garmin.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:03pm
I join the group hoping that the GI275 will be added to Avidyne’s STC. I wanted to install the GFC500 autopilot and got this reply from the radio shop. 
“Unfortunately at this point there is no STC approval to interface the Avidyne IFD's to the GI-275.
Functionally the interface will work so I expect it to be added either to the GI-275 STC Installation Manual or the Avidyne IFD STC Installation Manual at some point in the future.
There are other Avidyne users interested in GI-275 installation so hopefully sooner than later.”

Edited by teeth6 - 08 Apr 2021 at 11:06pm
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 9:23am
<bump>

Any update on this?

I’m still very interesting in getting dual GI-275’s to go with my IFD 540 and still have no STC path from Garmin or Avidyne that will allow the installation.

???
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 9:50am
Last I heard, Avidyne was planning to include the GI 275 in their IM but that won’t ne happening until release  10.3.0.2 at the earliest.  As we are still waiting on 10.3, I’m guessing it will be sometime in early 2022. 
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 11:26am
So, why can't a field approval be done?  I have a G5 interfaced with my IFD and my aircraft is not on the AML, simply because Garmin mistakenly left it off.  They have no plans to update the list.

I would think that as long as the protocols are compatible and the shop certifies that it works, a field approval should suffice.

Garmin will never put Avidyne equipment on their STC.  They want to push customers to only use their equipment.
Bob
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 11:42am
I’m sure a field approval could be attempted if someone wanted to go through that exercise.  For the G5, it was my understanding it is a legal install as it is already in the Avidyne IM. 
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I’m sure a field approval could be attempted if someone wanted to go through that exercise.  For the G5, it was my understanding it is a legal install as it is already in the Avidyne IM. 
I'm not an expert on FAA paperwork, so I'm not sure what "...go through that exercise..." entails.  All I know is that it was simple and straight forward for my avionics guy and he didn't blink once about doing it, and there was no delay in completing the job.  So from my perspective there was no "exercise".  It was needed because my aircraft is not on the AML, which is part of the Garmin STC.
Bob
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 12:15pm
in your case, because the G5 is listed in the Avidyne IM, A field approval was not needed even though the IFD is not on the Garmin list.  To get a field approval, the local FSDO would have to be involved and since these are primary flight instruments, I suspect flight testing might be done.  Once the GI 275 is listed in the Avidyne IM, A field approval will not be needed even though the IFD is still not listed in the Garmin paperwork
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 1:19pm
I can't speak to the nuances of Field Approvals, STCs, 337s, etc.  So, let me ask, do you believe that Avidyne's IM approving the interface between the G5 and the IFD takes precedence over the Garmin STC, which doesn't list my aircraft as approved for installing the G5?
Bob
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 1:52pm
I would not say that it takes precedence but it is certainly equal and makes your installation perfectly legal
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 2:41pm
Interesting.  So, I have a Garmin G5 STC, which doesn't provide approval for installation in my aircraft, but the Avidyne IM makes the installation legal without any additional approvals needed.  Not what I would have expected.  I don't think my avionics installer would agree with that, which is why I believe he did an additional approval step.

To me, the Avidyne IM provides no information about what aircraft the G5 can legally be installed in, only that it is allowed to be interfaced with an IFD.  Then again, I'm not an expert on the approvals and paperwork required.
Bob
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 2:50pm
Bob
I apologize.  I thought your issue was the G5 being legal to work with the IFDs, which it is because of the Avidyne IM.  I didn’t realize you were talking about the G5 being legal in your particular aircraft which, of course, the Avidyne IM has nothing to do with that. 
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 3:23pm
That's OK.  I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.  My reference above to the AML probably should have been clearer.  Glad we are aligned.
Bob
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 7:48pm
Field approvals are just fine if the local FSDO is willing to do one. A local shop I contacted said the local FSDO is “too busy” and won’t do field approvals.

That’s why I need Garmin or Avidyne to provide an STC or no upgrade will be happening to my panel.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 7:58pm
My A&P told me my local FSDO will no longer do field approvals.  You must hire and pay a person to go through the process on your behalf. I’m told this person is also an FAA employee but I’ve not confirmed this info
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 12:28pm
Hopefully Avidyne will add the GI275 to the IFD installation manual. The STC stipulates acceptable avionic interfaces as identified in the IFD installation manual. I believe the GI275 has like five different configurations (ADI, HSI, CDI, MFD, EIS) available. Avidyne will have to purchase some GI275s and integrate them into a system. That will require an upgrade to the firmware and to the documentation. It won't be cheap. Hopefully they have some development money lying around that they can spend on this.

Edited by atomsite - 15 Sep 2021 at 3:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic