Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Duplicate Routes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romans@romflight.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duplicate Routes
    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 6:43pm
Hello:

I upload routes from foreflight right before a flight.  as a result, the ROUTE tab has accumulated duplicate routes.    Any way to upload right into the current route/flight plan?  why does the IFD create duplicate routes? how would one browse to select the proper route unless you open/edit each one?

any ideas?
Roman
roman
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 5:43am
I'm also interested in ideas on this, having encountered exactly this problem on my last flight after uploading a route from FF.

While with apps I tend to accumulate a lot of routes for quick retrieval when needed, I'm coming to the view that it is better on the IFDs to keep the route list short. Retrieving even a single route that has been uploaded from FF can take a lot of scrolling if there are too many saved routes, besides the duplicate issue.

Vince
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 7:46am
I also wish there were a way to do this.. but when you consider Avi's efforts to make this a "real" FMS, it makes sense. The workflow I imagine they're thinking of looks like this:

1. Plan all your routes for the 2000nm of flying you're planning over the weekend
  2. Send them to the panel
  3. Select, review, edit, and activate each one as needed 
If you just want to load-and-go, then having step 3 is a little bit unnecessary, it seems. But I like the approach better than I do the idea that there might be a set number of route slots (like on my old KLN94) and uploading a route means I'd have to remove an existing one.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 10:07am
While I use FlyQ vice FF, this is exactly why I adopted entering any planned routes that are not already stored in my IFD540 into my IFD100 ahead of time. While the EFB steps for receiving or sending flight plans to the IFD are easy and virtually identical, retrieving the active route into my EFB turns out to be far simpler than sending it to the IFD. Receiving the active route from the IFD involves zero manipulation of the IFD. Sending a FlyQ flight plan to the IFD; however, adds the IFD steps of navigating to the FMS-ROUTE tab, locating the uploaded route in the list of flight plans (possibly duplicates), highlighting the uploaded route, activating the flight plan, and possibly confirming a route replacement. 

Additionally, if my planned route is along an airway, uploaded routes from FlyQ to the IFD display as point-to-point routing in the IFD. To match any airway routing, I would have to make sure I included every airway intersection between the airway entry and exit points in my EFB before sending the route to the IFD. Even with that, the IFD will display the uploaded route as point-to-point instead of as being part of an airway. I prefer to have the route in the aircraft's primary navigation device to exactly match any cleared routing including airway status. 

Routes retrieved into FlyQ from the IFD also lose their airway status in FlyQ and are received as point-to-point routing. To me, this is a far more acceptable, as all of the airway intersections are automatically included, the IFD flight plan does not change, and the flight plan page in FlyQ looks the same as if the routing had originated from FlyQ.
romans@romflight.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romans@romflight.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 2:00pm
Today i cleaned up my ROUTES page.  DELETE, DELETE, DELETE.
Saving a route, i believe, is not useful.  there is no guarantee one will get the same route. with Foreflight and the Route advisor, it's all right there. I need a way to upload from foreflight right into the flightplan page and activate.

thanks for reading.
roman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic