Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 disconnects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 disconnects
    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 5:34pm
My IFD540 using the LIO wifi shows occasionally “Avidyne Disconnected” on my IPAD running Foreflight and this is the only WIFI running within the whole airplane and when this statement happens I still verify my wifi setting of LIO Wifi still is connnected. So what does “Avidyne Disconnected” mean to me? Thanks
Shazam😎
drpage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:53am
I have the same problem but only on longer flights.  On a cross US trip it disconnect 3 times - each time after 3hrs in flight.  I could not get it to reconnect.  All I had running was the IFD540 and an ipad running foreflight.  I was using the default LIO wifi from the IFD.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Sambo Sambo wrote:

My IFD540 using the LIO wifi shows occasionally “Avidyne Disconnected” on my IPAD running Foreflight and this is the only WIFI running within the whole airplane and when this statement happens I still verify my wifi setting of LIO Wifi still is connnected. So what does “Avidyne Disconnected” mean to me? Thanks

Happens to me quite often.  At times, every 10-15 seconds for several minutes.  And on the same flight, it stops for an hour or so, and then can resume randomly.  Other flights lasting hours, not at all. 

I've learned to just ignore it.  It does not appear to affect the accurate display of current ADS-B data on ForeFlight.  When I get the disconnect message and then check ForeFlight's connection status indication for the IFD and ADS-B, it shows the connection is good and the data is up to date.

My ADS-B data source is a Lynx NGT9000, which data is sent via a wired connection to my IFD.  The IFD wifi then sends that same data to ForeFlight.  The Lynx also has its own wifi, and I can switch the wifi connection on my iPad from the IFD to the Lynx at anytime.  When I use the Lynx wifi, I get the same error messages.  To me, that seems to rule out the IFD as the device causing the problem.

I am not sure whether the problem is with the iPad/ForeFlight device, or with the Lynx as the ultimate source of the data, possibly sending corrupting signals to the iPad.  I suspect the problem is on the iPad/ForeFlight end.  Since it does not appear to bother the accuracy and validity of my traffic and weather displayed on ForeFlight, I haven't done any further troubleshooting.  Perhaps if there are folks who experience the problem and don't have a Lynx, we could rule out the Lynx as the source of the problem and target the iPad/ForeFlight system by a process of elimination.

I recognize the Lynx wifi itself may be suspect, as its wifi module is a separate device that can fail without affecting the Lynx itself.  If I knew that for a fact, I would include the IFD as a possible source of the problem.  Since whatever the problem is does not seem to affect my ForeFlight display, I've not bothered to take this any further. 

Edited by Catani - 18 Sep 2020 at 11:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic