Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

7.5 Amp Breaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.5 Amp Breaker
    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:21pm
Yesterday, while shooting practice approaches into 28J, my IDF440 screen went black. No map no nothing. Just a black screen. I recycled the radio and it booted back up and everything appeared normal for about ten minutes before the screen went white. The radio would not respond to any command including power off. 

I powered it down by turning off the Master. When I attempted to power it back up, did not get the Avidyne Splash, just a white screen and no Radio control at all.

Flew home and put the airplane back in the hanger (I live on an airpark) and then tried to talk to someone at Avidyne (that turned out to be an exercise in futility).

Later on, I went back out to the plane and powered up the IDF, and it booted up as normal. What is going on here? Maybe an overheating issue? it was 95 plus yesterday here in North Florida. 

I described  the issue I was having on the Avidyne Facebook group, to see if anyone else had this problem. Got a reply from another user that said he has seen this on 14 volt Radios that did not replace the 5AMP breaker with a 7.5AMP breaker. My installation was a G430W upgrade and I dont believe anyone looked at the circuit breaker, but a quick look at the Avidyne Install manual clearly shows a 7.5 AMP breaker. Kind of an odd ball size. I have 5, 10, and 15 AMP breakers in my shop but no  7.5 AMP breakers so I ordered a couple.

And this brings up another issue. I never did like the way the IDF powers up as soon as you turn on the Master.. I generally then power it back off before starting the engine, then powering it back up.

Is their any reason or problem with installing a Radio Master between the breaker and the Radio? Then I could start the plane without the radio powering up, and then power the radio up after engine start?

Claude Allen
Green Cove Springs, Florida
Claude
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 5:07pm
I have the avionics master control my IFDs. I think that’s a better way to go. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 6:40pm
You may not have an avionics bus, but if you do, you definitely want the IFD installed there.

* Orest
forkauto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:11am
Mine power off of an "avionics master" switch after starting engine. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic