Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FreeFlight promo for dual-band upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FreeFlight promo for dual-band upgrade
    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 4:05pm
I got an email today from FreeFlight announcing a US$2500 rebate with trade-in of a RANGR:

Quote Receive a $2500 credit towards the purchase of the all-new Dual Band Datalink with the trade in of your existing RANGR Datalink unit.

Interested? Please contact sales@freeflightsystems.com, and a NextGen expert will be in touch to discuss the details. Offer ends December 31, 2020

I emailed them to ask if that also applies to SkyTrax units. They responded and said "we'd be happy to help," but no word yet on what exactly they're willing to offer.

If you want to know more, I'd suggest mailing Ashley Ring (aring@freeflightsystems.com) to express your interest.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 4:15pm
FWIW, it looks like the model with the rebate is this one, which Sarasota lists for $6200. Soooo... maybe not such a killer deal after all. We shall see.

https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/rangr-xvr

Edited by paulr - 13 Oct 2020 at 4:37pm
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:48am
That kind of price spells a death knell for the AXP-340.

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:51am
That's what I told FreeFlight. $6200 for their box? Why? Even with the rebate, I could pay $3700 for their box or $4200 for a GTX345, then remove and sell my AXP340 and SkyTrax 100 and end up maybe paying $2500 out of pocket total. That's not a compelling argument in favor of FreeFlight's box.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:06pm
The price shown is $5300. Was that a typo on their site earlier?

IAC, if I was going to do something, I'd sell my AXP-322 and slide in a Lynx 9000R.

* Orest
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:45am
The default choice at https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/rangr-xvr shows you the regular receiver-- you have to choose "dual band" from the pulldown and then you'll see that it's USD$900 more than the regular one. Madness.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 12:08pm
Thanks, I only noticed that after I posted, thought I had deleted my post.

$6200 it is. Pricey.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 19 Oct 2020 at 12:09pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:33pm
I e-mailed Ashley Ring, but didn't get a response. 
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 4:04pm
What do you get by pulling something that works fine and gives you all the traffic you need? Better than what you have would only be teh addition of active traffic.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 6:19pm
I have been in several circumstances without tower reception, so a dual-band receiver lets me receive most traffic nearby directly. A UAT receiver misses most traffic, since I think most planes transmit on 1090. 
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 6:56pm
If you set your Transponder saying you have only 978, then you will also get ground ADS-R with the 1090 targets translated to 978 for your receiver.

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 14 Nov 2020 at 6:57pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 7:17pm
When you are not receiving ADS-R (no ground stations), a dual band receiver will get all planes that are nearby, whether they have UAT (I think the minority of planes) or 1090ES transponders. I have had this situation occur relatively often. I have an MLB100 UAT-only receiver. 

If you are (receiving a ground station, then this is not really an issue because the ground station will (theoretically at least) send you whatever you are not receiving plus perhaps some primary mode C targets. A single-band UAT receiver should be all you need. 

A dual band receiver is also useful when you cross the border. There are quite a few planes there that have ADS-B because they come to the US, but there are no towers to send up ADS-R. 

Edited by HenryM - 14 Nov 2020 at 10:26pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 9:06pm
Yes, I would agree that without the ground ADS-R, and no TCAS, then the dual band would be great to receive 1090 info.

Tom
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:55am
Although when you are without radar coverage, the active traffic is still the only way to see other TXP equipped planes. You can get used active traffic systems for less than the delta in between a single and a dual band receiver new.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:24am
Wow - So there is still a "market" for our used TAS units... Not that I would part with it.

I just "Upgraded" my failing MLB (aka Navworx/Skytrax100) to the new Skytrax100B, broke down and paid the Aspen Unlocks (PFD/MFD), and still display the TAS605A:
Love the combo:
 . 978 UAT on Aspens and IFD540 #2
 . 1090 (TAS-A plus ADSB) on IFD540 #1.

Tom W.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic