Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bluetooth keyboard with ipad simulator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmanvel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluetooth keyboard with ipad simulator
    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:01am
I searched but couldnt find anything regarding this.  Trying to use the tiny keyboard with my IFD440, so last night spent some time using it with the simulator.  Here's a list of thoughts I jotted down during that session:

• Can’t activate flight plan or approach
  • Can’t zoom using Rng+ or Rng-
  • Procedure button doesn’t work
  • Flip-flop closes simulator app
  • Manual frequency entry doesn’t work
  • Left-right arrows apparently zoom map
  • Direct button appears to raise iPad volume, louder button lowers it!
  • “Something” started my music!
  • OBS and com preset do nothing
  • “Avidyne” button -what’s it for?
  • Music note button - what’s it for?
  • SVS button - doesn’t work, causes a “unsupported Bluetooth entry” message, lights the lowest white light on keyboard
  • Nav button switches between com and nav, com button does nothing

Does anybody know if these issues are just with the simulator, or same on the panel mount?  I havent tried in the airplane yet.

Harry Manvel
Defiant N2HM
KPTK-Pontiac, MI
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 11:38am
With keyboard, I can:
1. Zoom in and out but have to be on map page
2. Procedure button allows approach selection 
3. Flip flop swaps frequencies
4. Direct button works as expected
5. Com button allows you to enter a frequency. Hit com first then enter frequency. 

All this is working with my panel mount 540. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by hmanvel hmanvel wrote:

I searched but couldnt find anything regarding this.  Trying to use the tiny keyboard with my IFD440, so last night spent some time using it with the simulator.  Here's a list of thoughts I jotted down during that session:

• Can’t ...

I never tried the portable BT keyboard with the simulator.

But, I can tell you that everything works with my panel mount IFD. In fact 90% of my interactions with the IFD are with the BT mini-keyboard. LOVE IT!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Oct 2020 at 5:37pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm
This thread on the BT Keyboard caught my attention -
I have the Keyboard, but admit, I haven't ever used it, with Sim or dual 540's.

Is it written anywhere what can be controlled?
Do you all prefer the BT KB to the IFD100 and/or direct 540 inputs?

Thanks for your input.

Tom W.
hmanvel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmanvel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 9:50pm
Well I flew with it since posting this, and pretty much every function works in the airplane.  Including the radio flip-flop, which the IFD100 will not do.  I actually liked using it better than the ipad app, takes up less room and with a new holder I printed it is really handy to use.
Harry Manvel
Defiant N2HM
KPTK-Pontiac, MI
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:15pm
Harry -

What do you use for your "new holder"?

Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:19am
I mounted mine right over the center of the yoke, on a little aluminum support I created. Perfect for quick interaction, and virtually immune to any bumps in the air.

Not using the keyboard misses out on a really cool and unique feature of the IFD.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Nov 2020 at 5:05pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:23am
Very compact and central.

I gather you don't use the iPad/IFD or FF??  If so, on kneeboard?

Tom W.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:24am
BTW, what does the "Avidyne" button do?

Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:27am
I plan and file in FF, and do use FF on an iPad in the cockpit, but mainly to refer to charts and as a tertiary backup. It sits on my lapdesk. But on a short flight, it may not even make it out of my flight bag, I have all I need right on the panel.

I have played with the IFD100, and it is a cool app, but I don't use it. I have a 796 gizmo mounted in the co-pilot stack, if I didn't have that I could see mounting a (fan-cooled & panel powered) iPad running the IFD100 and/or FF. But, with the ASPEN, IFD & 796 (both with Jepp charts), I have enough glass already.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Nov 2020 at 12:30am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:32am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

BTW, what does the "Avidyne" button do?

Tom W.

It is just the space bar. Used in flight plan names and similar.

* Orest
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 8:58am
Like Orest I have my keyboard mounted on my yoke and use it all the time to control my top IFD 550. It’s really an amazing convenience.  I also do use the IFD 100 app which is on my lap. I mainly use that to look up and  change frequencys on the bottom IFD 100 although the flip/flop bottom doesn’t work yet. With the ability to split screen the IFD 100 and FF now, I’m anxious to try them together on the IPad. 
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 10:07am
Thanks Orest & teeth6 for BT KB input.
I can see the value of the Comm-Freq. Flip-Flop from the keyboard... very cool.

I will revive mine which has been sitting in original box and find a good velcro attach spot on yoke, but my iPad Mini lives there too.

. How often do you re-charge the KB battery?
 . I still have the original charging cord - what is purpose of the Dual USB-A plugs?

. I managed to "pair" the KB to iPad IFD540 Trainer App... but is panel 540 pairing different?

. Forgot to ask - Can the same IFD540 pair with BOTH BT and WiFi?

Thanks again.

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 13 Nov 2020 at 10:13am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:26pm
It is rare that you need to recharge the keyboard. I keep several different charging cords in the side pocket, and have a charger port on the pilot's side. Just pop it in when I see the yellow caution light on the KB.

You do not have to use the supplied charging cord, and i don't. I'm not even sure where mine is now, but it had some sort of Y topology in it, not sure what for.

The BT and WiFi is completely separate on the IFD. You could be using one, both or neither. The keyboard uses BT.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Nov 2020 at 5:07pm
hmanvel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmanvel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:21pm
Here's the holder I printed.  Works great for me, you can use two hands nicely to stabilize it when you're typing.
Harry Manvel
Defiant N2HM
KPTK-Pontiac, MI
hmanvel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmanvel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:22pm
Harry Manvel
Defiant N2HM
KPTK-Pontiac, MI
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:26pm
Very nice platform Harry.
Where is the KB in flight though?

I still like my iPad Mini on yoke, so can't settle on a great KB location...

Tom W.
hmanvel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmanvel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 4:25pm
I have a side stick control on the left armrest, the KB sits on the armrest in front of it out of the way.  My mini is on a ram mount in the middle of the pilot side panel down below it a bit.
Harry Manvel
Defiant N2HM
KPTK-Pontiac, MI
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic