Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Digital Radar Enabled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 Digital Radar Enabled
    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:29am
Can you please advise on the status of the RDR2100 enablement for the IFD 540? Is the functionality at least equivalent to the EX600?

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 4:27pm
IFD support for the RDR-2100 was implemented in 10.2.4.1 (along with the RDR-2060 and RDS-8XX radars).  The RDR-2100 integration on the IFD has all of the features that exist on the EX600, plus support for step-scan.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
SeanMollet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SeanMollet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 9:18pm
I have an rdr-2100 connected to my ifd540. Works like a charm.
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:18am
Is there a need to buy any unlock or enablement for the Radar 2100?
Warrenwhis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrenwhis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 5:18pm
I have an IFD540 and it displays my RDR 2000 well, however It is not stabilized.  I have a Colin’s PN101 HSI in my Baron.  What is the cheapest solution I could make?
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 2:48am
Cheapest would be with a vertical Gyro like the Collins 332D11T that should do the trick. You can pick them up for sometimes less than a Grover Cleveland on Ebay.... When you pick one up, make sure it has Service Bulletin 26, which gives it 3000hr in between overhauls.

My last installation was a Sandel SG-102 Mod1 with a Shadin ARINC 429 Low to High Speed Converter (P/N 933800-12) for radar stabilization (SG-102 also driving a SN-3500 HSI) . I understand that the Mod2 and "D" SG-102 now puts out ARINC high speed and thus does not need the Shadin any more. I believe the Garmin GI-275 (Integrated AHRS/ADAHRS, or autopilot version) now can provide the pitch & roll ARINC high speed as well. 
(That GI-275 is really the answer to many years of my prayers, way more capable than their Netflix screens.... Must have been the old APOLLO II MORROW people who designed it, like the equally impressive CNX80.....)

Now a technical question for our friends at Avidyne: One big benefit the IFD-550 AHRS could provide is the ARINC High Speed pitch and roll output for radar stabilization. Can it now? Or will it be able to in the future with a software update?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by TurboPA30 TurboPA30 wrote:

Is there a need to buy any unlock or enablement for the Radar 2100?
*Yes the Radar option must be purchased, regardless of radar type.  To get support for Radar 2100, though, you do need 10.2.4.1.

Now a technical question for our friends at Avidyne: One big benefit the IFD-550 AHRS could provide is the ARINC High Speed pitch and roll output for radar stabilization. Can it now? Or will it be able to in the future with a software update?
Radar stabilization is already supported.  In Maintenance Mode, select "Onboard Radar" for the 429 output. *However*, we've only verified that this works with RDR-2000 at this point.  We still have testing to do with RDR-2100 and hopefully will be complete with 10.3.

*Note: a previous version of this post stated that no enablement was required for radar support.  While no *additional* enablement is required for Radar 2100 support, there is an enablement for radar that must be purchased.

Edited by AviSteve - 28 Sep 2023 at 11:10am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:48pm
Steve, you made my day, today. Thank You!
Really something you may want to stress more in the marketing, maybe. Big differentiator to the competition for us Twin drivers....
guenter_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guenter_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 5:42am
Hi, that's interesting!
I have an old Avidyne 750 Flightmax display together with a Bendix/King RDR2000 stabilized by an mechanical gyro.
Q1: Can I rewire the RDR2000 to the IFD540?
Q2: Is there an unlock / fee for that to work?
Q3: Can I stabilize the Radar with input from Aspen EFD1000?
Q4: Which IFD software version is minimum for that?
Thank you for an answer!
Guenter 
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 7:04am
Originally posted by guenter_ms guenter_ms wrote:

Hi, that's interesting!
I have an old Avidyne 750 Flightmax display together with a Bendix/King RDR2000 stabilized by an mechanical gyro.
Q1: Can I rewire the RDR2000 to the IFD540?
Q2: Is there an unlock / fee for that to work?
Q3: Can I stabilize the Radar with input from Aspen EFD1000?
Q4: Which IFD software version is minimum for that?
Thank you for an answer!
Guenter 

Guenter, I'll give it a shot answering your questions:
Q1: yes, and the 2000 is tested in the current software, my 2100 not yet, but it is VERY similar, so I don't think I'll run into an issue.
Q2: No
Q3: No, keep your mechanical gyro, but if you need an excellent Collins vertical Gyro 332D11T 622-4565-001 that can do that, send me a PM, as I have the IFD-550 and thus do no not need it any more.
Q4: min 10.2.4.1
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:57am
Just an update on the GI-275. While my analysis was correct that it is technically able to provide the required output for the stabilization of the ART-2000/2100, it is not yet covered as an FAA approved output in their install manual (which at least means added paperwork, if not a DER for now). According to their support, Gamin is now investigating to include it in a future version of the IM after I asked them the question.... 
Again, a big congratulations to Avidyne to already have covered the radar stabiliztion in the IFD-550 install manual. It shows again that it is a true big-iron philosophy derived FMS, and not a big screen consumer devise like some of the competition..... And now I really am happy to have paid for the 540-550 upgrade, which I did without knowing this capability...... Somehow the marketing guys missed highlighting this when the 550 came out.
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:22pm
One more question came to my mind: Can the IFD100 display the radar image on the iPad?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:48am

One more question came to my mind: Can the IFD100 display the radar image on the iPad?
Yes
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Edmund Cammack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmund Cammack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:01am
Hi Steve,
I know this is an old thread. Can the IFD 100 app on an iPad control the radar or just view a mirror image of what the ifd 540 displays? Is there an article or link that thoroughly describes what the app on an iPad can do regarding the radar overlay?
Thanks.
Edmund 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Edmund Cammack Edmund Cammack wrote:

Can the IFD 100 app on an iPad control the radar or just view a mirror image of what the ifd 540 displays?
I've never actually tried that, but based on what I know about the underlying structure, I would say that you cannot control the radar from the IFD100.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmund Cammack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 3:23pm
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply. One more question. Can the IFD 540 have multiple standby comm frequencies and still display the two nav frequencies below the com frequencies? When I add a third comm frequency the option to add the nav frequencies to the left datablock is grayed out. 
Thanks.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Edmund Cammack Edmund Cammack wrote:

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply. One more question. Can the IFD 540 have multiple standby comm frequencies and still display the two nav frequencies below the com frequencies? When I add a third comm frequency the option to add the nav frequencies to the left datablock is grayed out. 
Thanks.
No.  When you are showing the #2 standby, the nav frequencies must be selected by pressing the left knob.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmund Cammack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 3:52pm
OK,
Thank you.
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 8:05pm
Some incorrect information was posted above regarding stabilization from the Aspen EFD1000.
In fact, the EA-100 from Aspen does indeed provide vertical and horizontal stabilization outputs to the RDR-2000, thus no need to keep a mechanical gyro.

Gene
Gene
wehrhardt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wehrhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 3:39am
I know, that is an old post. What I learned from it was, no fee for activate the IFD540 for Radar Display. What I need to know is the antenna ART-161A compatible to the IFD 540?
Piper Aztec non turbo, IFD 540 and GNS430w, G600, EDM 790
Warrenwhis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrenwhis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 6:39am
There is no fee for activation but that is misleading.  I had to send my IFD540 in for a software update and a $3500 board had to be installed
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 1:53pm
Please note that the post from 3/5/21 above was updated in September 2023 to clarify that there is a RADAR enablement that must be purchased.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic