Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TIS-B info not displaying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIS-B info not displaying
    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 2:17pm
Hello,

Our club has the IFD440 + SkyTrax 100. All was working perfectly until we had to replace our IFD440 a few months ago after it went into a boot loop. Since the reinstall, we have been completely unable to display any TIS-B traffic on our IFD440.

We have had it into the avionics shop multiple times and they say all is wired properly.

There is no red TIS flag on the display.

Pulling ADSB reports from the FAA shows we are receiving TIS info.

This is KNOWN traffic that it is not displaying. We also do not get the TIS "range" arcs (the circles) on the MAP display.

No errors are indicated from any inputs in Maintenance Mode.

FIS-B in is working perfectly.

I'm hoping someone might know of a setting we are missing? Anything? I've researched for hours, communicated with our avionics guy, and am completely out of ideas.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 3:28pm
Prior to the IFD440 replacement, was the ADS-B traffic displayed as non-directional diamonds and circles  or as directional arrows with one minute pointer barbs? Also, what firmware version is the IFD440 currently using?

Just trying to establish if the traffic display came through ARINC 429 or RS-232 prior to the IFD440 replacement.
ScB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:57pm
Excellent question.

I *believe* it was the non-directional diamonds and circles. 

The firmware is 10.2.3.1.

Thanks!

Edited by ScB - 22 Jan 2021 at 3:06pm
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 11:17am
Check RS232 Config, see if you have SkyTrax Trfc+Wx on both Input and Output on the channel the Skytrax is connected to.

ScB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 12:15pm
Thanks. Before I run out to the hangar to check...

I was watching this Avidyne video 
https://techsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/597-ifd-main-rs232-configuration/ 

2:20 mark

Should it be SkyTrax Trfc+Wx on both or
Capstone Trfc+Wx on both or
Capstone HS Trfc+Wx on both? 

That video seems to indicate one of the Capstones for the SkyTrax 100.

I'll check later today! 
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 5:09pm
This is from the installation manual 

SkyTrax Trfc+Wx
Serial traffic and weather data information from the Avidyne Skytrax100/MLB100 or Freeflight FDL-978-RX

SkyTrax Trfc+Wx
Serial traffic and weather data information to the Avidyne Skytrax100/MLB100 or Freeflight FDL-978-RX
ScB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 5:27pm
Thanks,

I can confirm those are set to SkyTrax Trfc+Wx

On the RS232 Status page, there are numbers in the Data section with 0 errors.

We do get ADSB in Wx. Still no traffic.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 5:48pm
To supply position data to the Skytrax, on one of the Output channels (most likely Channel 2), you should have either Aviation,  or ADS B+(G) if the Skytrax firmware was updated to Ver 4.1.0

Can you please post a picture of the Main RS232 Config.
ScB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:02pm
Yes, it is set that way.

Dark hangar, sorry about the flash but it's legible! 

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:24pm
My concern relates to how the SkyTrax100 is setup. Is it version 4.1.0? Is the SkyTrax100 configured to accept ADS-B+ (G) format GPS position or Aviation format GPS position? Those questions cannot be answered without connecting the Avidyne UAT Console program to the SkyTrax100 or seeing what the IFD ARINC 429 and RS-232 configuration pages looked like before the IFD swap. 

Based on yesterday's answer to my question about the traffic display before the IFD440 swap, the traffic display may have still been the Skywatch presentation (same as IFD Trainer). If the traffic display was still the Skywatch display, then the traffic display was coming to the IFD440 through ARINC 429 MLB100 Traffic format and most likely the IFD440 was sending "Aviation" format RS-232 GPS data to the SkyTrax100.

The way I see it, there are three general possibilities on the configuration:

1. Traffic and weather (SkyTrax Trfc+Wx format output and input) through RS-232 with ADS-B+ (G) format output GPS data. This would result in ADS-B traffic display (arrows with course barbs). Obviously based on the picture above, this is not working.

2. Traffic and weather (SkyTrax Trfc+Wx format output and input) through RS-232 with Aviation format output GPS data. This will produce an ADS-B traffic display as well as an ever present "Degraded" message at the bottom of the traffic thumbnail due to Aviation format's lack of time stamp in its data stream that the ADS-B traffic display requires.

3. Traffic via ARINC 429 high speed MLB100 Traffic format input to the IFD, weather through RS-232 MLB100 Wx input and output format as well as RS-232 GPS Aviation output format. This was the original method for the SkyTrax100 (MLB100) to be set up before IFD firmware version 10.2.0. This will produce the Skywatch traffic display (non-directional diamonds and circles).

Edited by dmtidler - 24 Jan 2021 at 10:49am
ScB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 11:52pm
I appreciate your time with all that. I will forward your comments to the maintenance team helping me out!

I am very thankful. I hope to report back some good news. 
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:16pm
Any updates on getting this issue fixed?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic