Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD wifi problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD wifi problems
    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 2:26pm
Had my IFD 540 a long time but new to using wifi. On a flight yesterday the IFD wifi disconnected from both Foreflight iPads and would not reconnect leaving “No Data” on the Foreflight screen.
I’ve seen a couple threads that mention wifi problems but no real solution. Was anyone able to fix this?
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:33am
Do you have any other wifi devices in the airplane, eg transponder, Stratux, etc?
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:46am
Not at the time the IFD wifi failed or anytime during that flight.
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 12:41pm
Last year I suddenly lost WiFi and Bluetooth - somehow the firmware options for them had become disabled.  I emailed Avidyne support and received a file and instructions to fix the 540 - it was pretty easy.
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 4:31pm
I’ve been flying with the IFD for some time and I’ve found the WIFI to be a little problematic. I have found however that on my particular unit that the WIFI is happy to play and is quite robust provided the IPad is doing NOTHING else but running the IFD100 app. I find the WIFI on the IFD great for transferring routes prepared on the iPad at home but I don’t often use the IFD100 app because I like using the Oz Runways app (Australia’s equivalent ForeFlight). Something worth also noting, the other day I tried to see how many devices would attach to the native IFD550 WIFI at the same time. I had four devices happily using the IFD WIFI as a hub but when I tried to attach another device it wouldn’t connect and told me that my password was incorrect. When I removed another device from the network then I could connect without a problem.
I really wish that the IFD100 app would remain stable while using the IPad for other tasks. I’ve tried to make it work many times during long cruises but still no luck. I hope that the IFD 10.3 update will address this. 
Besides all that, I LOVE flying with my IFD, it truly is an amazing bit of kit.
Cheers to all,
Andy
VH-UAR YMMB
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:54am
As far as IFD100 stability issues are concerned, I would be more suspicious of the ipad side of things rather than expect the panel IFD to address them with a software update. If you mean the IFD 10.3 update running the IFD100, that might help. But there is so much going on internally outside any given ipad app that issues could just as easily come from there.
Vince
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 11:01pm
Call Avidyne and Check out:

Document Number: 

601-00182-047 

Title: 

Loss of Wi-Fi Bluetooth Functionality in IFD4XX/IFD5XX 

Revision: 

Date: 

03 October 2018 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic