Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Airway exit at VOR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallylancer122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airway exit at VOR
    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 6:21pm
Ok, I think I'm missing something.   I got clearance out of an Atlanta area airport this weekend that included direct to an intersection called NELLO, then follow the V5 airway to the GQO vor, then direct to my destination.   When I went to program that in, though, I wasn't given an option to exit the airway at GQO.  It just gave me fixes along the airway.

I  ended up just entering in NELLO directly to GQO as that effectively did the same thing, but just wondering if that's the only way or if I missed something. 
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:43pm
I just replicated that assigned route in both the IFD Trainer app (set up as an IFD540) as well as my IFD100 app with a current navigation database. Both devices have a V5 exit point at GQO. On both devices, when selecting V5 after NELLLO, NELLO appears in the middle of the displayed V5 exit point list. GQO is displayed by scrolling down the exit point list past ZIROB (the bottom displayed V5 exit point for this northerly routing). In fact, GQO is the very last exit point for V5 because it marks the northwest termination point of V5. 

I played around a bit with different airway entry points. While the IFD displays the list of airway exit points based on the expected direction of flight (down path exit points below the entry point), it appears to not automatically display the airway end exit point without scrolling down the exit point list unless either: 
  1. the airway entry point is the airway fix immediately prior to the airway termination fix in the expected direction of flight or

2. the entire airway length contains seven (four on an IFD440) or less total fixes.
Just my observations.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic