Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Navaid Manual ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navaid Manual ID
    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:48am
The IFD540 has been so good at auto-identifiying the localizer frequency that I have forgotten how to do it manually.  I may be overlooking it but I can find no reference in the operator's guide nor from a Google search.  I know I've done it but it escapes me now.
Woo Hoo!!!
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 6:20am
you need to push the NAV button on your audio panel so you can hear the navaid identifier signal from the IFD, then highlight the NAV frequency on the IFD, and finally press the frequency volume button and adjust the squelch to hear the navaid.

If you are still having issues, go into the volume settings under the AUX pages and check the NAV volume is set loud enough.

This is also the way you talk/listen to FSS when you provide PIREPS - transmit on one frequency, and listen on a VOR frequency. You may want to try that, it could be a useful tool in your toolbox one day.

Edited by Gring - 07 Mar 2021 at 6:21am
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 9:05am
Geoffrey is correct.  Sometimes the most basic of skills leave us when we don't use them.  I really love all of the new functionality in my aircraft's panel, but sometimes I spend more time than I should in remembering the buttonology for how to do what was once a muscle memory task.

Regular review of not often used steps is a great idea.  I think I am going to make a review card or list and plan to use it at least once per month.

In my case that audio panel used to be a circa 1976 Collins AMR 350 with toggle switches.  Now it is a PS Engineering PMA450A with buttons.  Buttons that will do different things depending on duration of press or which buttons are pressed simultaneously.  I appreciate all of the new audio functionality it provides, and most definitely the improvement in audio quality of the signal being received to my headphones.  But the buttonology for some of the not often used features escapes me sometimes.

Score 1 for making regular review a practice.
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 9:39am
+1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic