Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WINDS Display on FMS FPL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyKastle2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WINDS Display on FMS FPL
    Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:10pm
My screen shows "WINDS FL 030". Some times it shows "WINDS FL 060". I can't find an explanation for where I can get the speed and direction that goes with this display. 

I saw a post from AviJake in Feb '15 that a GDL 69 or MLB700 was needed to get that data. But that was before ADS-B. 

So, what is "WINDS FL 030" supposed to be telling me? Where do I go for the rest of the info?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 10:55am
Are you talking about the Info tab?  I'm not aware of any place on the FPL tab that's displayed.  If you can post a picture, that will help.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
SkyKastle2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyKastle2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:53pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:24am
The picture didn't upload...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyKastle2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:12pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:28am
Information about the selected weather overlay is shown in the lower left and right corners of the map display.  On the left side is the age of the data for the selected weather overlay.  On the right side, is the altitude of the data being displayed.  Note that the selected altitude applies only to icing, turbulence, and wind overlays.  The selected altitude is controlled using the inner knob when you are on the full Map page.  So, your screenshot is showing that you have the Winds overlay selected, the data is current (0 minutes old), and that you have selected to show winds at FL030.  Therefore, any wind barbs that you see on the map represent winds aloft at FL030. 
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyKastle2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:20pm
Thanks Steve. This is helpful. Good info that will hopefully make it into Rev 8 of Pilot Guide.

Goods new is, I see the Wind Barbs in my IFD 540 Simulator. 

Bad news is, We do not see Wind Barbs in our flying IFD540. We have "WINDS" selected in the "Weather Layers" screen. We do not have the option of selecting "ICING" nor "TURBULENCE" in the Weather Layers screen. We are receiving winds, icing, and turbulence information on our EFB apps. 

Our ADS-B is Garmin 345.
Our IFD540 OS is 10.2.4.1. 

Any thoughts as to why ICING and TURBULENCE data is not available to us on the IFD540?

Thanks.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by SkyKastle2 SkyKastle2 wrote:

Thanks Steve. This is helpful. Good info that will hopefully make it into Rev 8 of Pilot Guide.

Goods new is, I see the Wind Barbs in my IFD 540 Simulator. 

Bad news is, We do not see Wind Barbs in our flying IFD540. We have "WINDS" selected in the "Weather Layers" screen. We do not have the option of selecting "ICING" nor "TURBULENCE" in the Weather Layers screen. We are receiving winds, icing, and turbulence information on our EFB apps. 

Our ADS-B is Garmin 345.
Our IFD540 OS is 10.2.4.1. 

Any thoughts as to why ICING and TURBULENCE data is not available to us on the IFD540?

Thanks.
Whoops!  I have 10.3 on the brain lately.  Icing and Turbulence will be supported in 10.3, but it's not in 10.2.4.1.  Not sure why you wouldn't see winds there.  Check the Datalink Status Page.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyKastle2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:45am
Success.

I had to pan out to find a reporting station and reduce the clutter. 

Got it now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic