Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TIS-B Help - Steve?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIS-B Help - Steve?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:34am
Mostly a message for Avidyne as we don't know where to turn anymore.

Three years ago, our club of ten owners installed Avidyne IFD-440, transponder and MLB100 into our SkyHawk. All worked excellent for the first two years.

Roughly a year ago, our IFD-440 went into a boot loop. Our avionics guy said only a replacement 440 would work and Avidyne was kind enough to send us one, despite being a month or two out of warranty. Ever since the install, all works well, but we cannot get TIS-B information at all. I've spent time on the phone with Avidyne, our avionics tech has spent hours on the phone with Avidyne, and we still have no resolution. It's been nearly a year.

Avidyne tech finally said it may be a future software update that will have to be released.

We are unsatisfied with this answer. After all, if everything worked perfectly with the original unit, why isn't it working with the new one? Our avionics tech has changed settings and more under the advisement of Avidyne with no resolution.

We no longer know what to do. I am pleading with anyone at Avidyne to help us out. Our ticket is  IPS00048392.

We paid a lot of money for this install and just want it to work. We understand things don't always go as planned. But after nearly a year, we are no closer to an answer to this than we were before.

Any assistance is sincerely appreciated!
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 2:53pm
Per the previous discussion on this at TIS-B info not displaying - Avidyne Online Community (avidynelive.com), what has been tried at this point?

I assume you don't have any documentation on RS-232 and ARINC 429 settings from the original install?

ScB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 5:24pm
Yes, since that discussion, I've been back and forth with Avidyne on the phone for tech support. We've had our aircraft into our avionics guy multiple times who has spent many hours on the phone with Avidyne tech. And we are no closer to a solution. This issue is costing us a small fortune with our avionics guy for something that really shouldn't be an issue.

The Avidyne rep hinted to our avionics guy that the last update in March may have broken our install, but I find that an unsuitable answer. After all, it wasn't even working before the update. Avidyne simply told us, "wait for another software update and see what that does."

Also, if it were the software that broke it, there would be multiple complaints, but we seem to be the only ones with this issue.

You are correct, we have no documentation from the original install.

Mostly, I'm just hoping to fast track this publicly to a resolution. Or at least see if anyone else has this issue?

Avionics guy is completely out of ideas. And our club honestly does not know where to go from here.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by ScB - 25 Jun 2021 at 5:25pm
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 12:59am
I think this may be your answer:

http://www.avidynelive.com/good-news-skytrax-200-dualband-now-available_topic2212_post26092.html#26092
ScB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 9:03am
Yeah, I saw that.

The current setup is 100% Avidyne and we paid good money for it. I don't think I could convince the group to pour more money into this.

Thanks! 
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 2:53pm
It sounds like on of the config settings for the port that your ADS-B "in" is on, got wiped out or not reinstalled correctly on the new box.  This should NOT be this hard.  I had to go thru this, once when I had some mods done and my boxes came back with default settings.   

I had to get involved when the avionics installer had the settings wrong after installing my 345 transponder.   it's not hard, but there are a LOT of settings and they have to actually be correct. 

Ken

ScB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 11:34pm
Thanks guys,

Still a work in progress. I agree it shouldn't be too hard. After all, the original setup worked just fine. Unfortunately because the IFD440 boot looped, the couldn't just copy the settings. But still, I have no clue why it doesn't work.

Last month we brought the plane to our avionics guy who spent nearly 6 hours in the plane while on the phone with Avidyne tech support and we're no closer to an answer. They thought it would take a software update to fix. Makes no sense as the original setup worked.

So I'm certain there is a setting somewhere that is wrong. But heck if I know. Steve was kind enough to reach out, so we'll see how things go. It's been nearly a year of trying to figure this out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic