Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AviOS 10.3... "coming in Q3"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AviOS 10.3... "coming in Q3"
    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 2:39pm
From the Avidyne Facebook page. Note that they didn't say in Q3 of what year. 

There are two features I care about in this release, and one I might care about in the future; for most of the rest, it's clear that single-engine piston GA isn't the target audience.

Today at AEA in Dallas, TX we are previewing our AviOS 10.3 Software will be certified in Q3.
Key features of AviOS 10.3 Software for IFD include:
  • Visual Approaches
  • VNAV (Advisory Vertical guidance in Enroute & Descent)
  • Support for Tandem/Remote VHF COM/NAV tuning in dual installations.
  • Support for Oceanic mode (changes CDI deflection to 4nm when greater than 200nm from any airport)
  • Power Lines added to database
  • RADALT display (via 429)
  • Extended support for Flight Operational Quality Assurance (FOQA)
  • Support for Twin Engine aircraft on Fuel Calc Page
  • Ability to import user waypoints from CSV file
  • Map Zoom down to 1/2 mile
  • Certified TAWS & HTAWs (option)
  • 3-arc Second Terrain Data (option)
More info will be made available closer to certification!
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:48pm
Oh Oh :-( 
I don't see RF legs in that list !!! AvitSteve has assured that it's in there, so fingers crossed on the "more info".

OTOH, enroute/descent VNAV guidance will be nice.

Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 4:29pm
Have no fear.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:27am
steve,

Can you explain the VNAV feature enhancement?  Will this be compatible with the GFC500/600 autopilots?  Today we have VNAV profiles implemented in the most basic form, what does this release add?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:02am
With this release the IFD will produce vertical deviations during enroute descent.  There is a limited set of equipment that will consume those labels, though.  GFC is not among them.  If you have a 550, you'll be able to see the deviations on the SVS page.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
roemeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 4:22pm
Will the DFC90 be able to use the new VNAV capabilities, and if so, how?
Bobby Roe
N539SR, 2007 Cirrus SR22 TN
EX5000 PFD/MFD, AMX, IFD550, IFD440, DFC90
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by roemeister roemeister wrote:

Will the DFC90 be able to use the new VNAV capabilities, and if so, how?
At some point maybe, but not now.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 12:27pm
is the Aspen Max PFD one of them that will show the enroute VNAV. Not that I really need it from my lowly cruise altitude. 
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:07pm
Curious whether there's any updated guidance on when to expect 10.3 to be available? :)
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by jimmyz80 jimmyz80 wrote:

Curious whether there's any updated guidance on when to expect 10.3 to be available? :)

I assume you mean "for the in-panel IFD units".  ;-)

It would seem that the AviOS 10.3 is already certified in some way (and in Q3!) since it has been released in the IFD100, IFD Trainer, and IFD Trainer xp.

What we're still missing is the software update for the in-panel units. That didn't make it for Q3 2021. Given its presence in the ithingy apps mentioned above we hopefully won't need to wait until Q3 2022 for the in-panel version.
Vince
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:52am
At this point I've switched from "active waiting" to "it'll arrive when it arrives" mode. I know the Avi team wants it out ASAP, and I'm sure they're doing everything they can to get it, but given that the FAA is involved, there's no point in me waiting with my nose pressed up against the door looking for the mailman at this point.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:10pm
starting to wonder if it is vaporware...

I saw a note someplace that this software upgrade will require a 337 due to the changes, anybody know if that is correct?
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

I saw a note someplace that this software upgrade will require a 337 due to the changes, anybody know if that is correct?

That's bizarre; I wonder who came up with *that*. No, it won't require a 337. See FAR 43 Appendix A for the definition of what a "major alteration" is and you'll see that "avionics software version updates" don't count.[1]

[1] now, you can reasonably ask why Rosen visors *do* require a 337, since clearly they aren't a major alteration according to FAR 43… but they do. Go figure. FAA logic.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:54pm
I think the Rosen visors require a 337 because they are an STC.  Now, why they are an STC rather than a minor modification, I don't know.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

I think the Rosen visors require a 337 because they are an STC.  Now, why they are an STC rather than a minor modification, I don't know.

Because somebody thought it was a good idea, maybe they figured they could reach part 135 operators?  Some shops want an STC for EVERYTHING or they won't touch it, as far as they are concerned minor modifications don't exist.

I think the note about a 337 for the 10.3 software was posted on Facebook by one of the Avidyne folks, but I am unable to find the posting.  I too thought it was odd but then again maybe some additional capabilities make it 337 worthy?  If that's the case I'll have my IA sign off on it, he has to sign the logbook anyway for the software upgrade.

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Originally posted by jimmyz80 jimmyz80 wrote:

I assume you mean "for the in-panel IFD units".  ;-)

It would seem that the AviOS 10.3 is already certified in some way (and in Q3!) since it has been released in the IFD100, IFD Trainer, and IFD Trainer xp.

What we're still missing is the software update for the in-panel units. That didn't make it for Q3 2021. Given its presence in the ithingy apps mentioned above we hopefully won't need to wait until Q3 2022 for the in-panel version.

Maybe I missed it; I currently don’t have access to the App Store. Did Avidyne release the AviOS 10.3 version of the IFD100?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:48am
I don't think so.... a bit of a typo. I thought I'd seen posts related to it, but now I think not.

Avidyne has recently clarified the naming of the apps though, and the following appear in the app store at the time of this posting:
Avidyne IFD100 10.2 (AviOS 10.2)
IFD Trainer (AviOS 10.3)
IFD Trainer Xp (AviOS 10.3 Xp)

Edited by chflyer - 16 Oct 2021 at 11:49am
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 2:34pm
What is the IFD Trainer Xp ?

* Orest
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 3:40pm
It‘s the version for use with xplane. Start it up and you‘ll see instructions for use with xplane. Haven‘t tried it yet, but Steve has a note here that it allows use of the ipad with xplane as if it were installed in the panel, incl vhf nav
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 3:45pm
Ah, don't have X-Plane. Using Prepar3D.

I'm just building a new flight sim machine (Ryzen 5900x/64Gb/2Tb M.2), so will have lots of room, may have a look.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 Oct 2021 at 3:46pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 5:54am
When you get that far, check the "Trainer app for xplane" thread which has a discussion of specifics related to this.
Vince
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 11:29am
Just to clarify. This update doesn't make my GFC500 fly the glideslope of an approach (VNAV)?

IFD 550 / dual G5's / GFC 500
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 11:41am
I haven't seen this on the list of features at any point-- so unless they've snuck it in within the last couple of months, no, this won't be included.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 11:54am
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

Just to clarify. This update doesn't make my GFC500 fly the glideslope of an approach (VNAV)?

IFD 550 / dual G5's / GFC 500

AFAIK - if the RNAV GPS approach satus is LPV, LP+V, LNAV/VNAV, or LNAV+V, the GFC500 will currently follow the glidepath guidance in the APR mode. As I understand it, the VNAV enhancements coming in AviOS 10.3 relate to enroute VNAV guidance (i.e. manually input crossing restrictions, RNAV STAR crossing restrictions, etc.) which the current AviOS does not depict or send autopilot/flight director guidance for.

Edited by dmtidler - 18 Oct 2021 at 11:55am
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 11:55pm
Yeah when's this sucker coming out finally?

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by doog doog wrote:

Yeah when's this sucker coming out finally?
In the near-decade I've been on this forum, Avidyne reps have posted a number of times when they expected a hardware or software product to be released.

I can recall exactly ZERO times when such a prediction came true.  In more than one case, they were off by over a year, including with this 10.3 release.  At one time, there was "a possibility" it would be released before the end of 2019.  Then, in late 2019, "It will be released next year."  Now, at the end of 2021, it's still not out.  Thus the (not so funny) joke by the OP that "they didn't say [Q3 of] what year".

The takeaway is, it doesn't matter if Avidyne gives us a date or not.  The product will arrive when it arrives.

Edited by MysticCobra - 02 Nov 2021 at 8:33pm
Shawn26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 1:48pm
lol... that is so true! 
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:15pm
I got an email a few days ago with the update.  I am surprised it has not been posted on here.

Y.L.
Shawn26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:19pm
so 10.3 has been released for update?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by P35Pilot P35Pilot wrote:

I got an email a few days ago with the update.  I am surprised it has not been posted on here.

Y.L.

I'm sorry, what update was that?

* Orest
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by P35Pilot P35Pilot wrote:

Y.L.
I'm not sure what update you're referring to.  Nevertheless, 10.3 IFD software has (still) not yet been released.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:29pm
It was on the Avidyne users fb.  Maybe it is a scam and if so I am glad I posted so you guys are aware of it.page I joined.

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:39pm
Look at the date of the original posting AND the version, this is for 10.2 not 10.3.

note I learned something about Avidyne's software numbering recently, and probably isn't news to most but...

10.X.Y.Z

10 - IFD platform
X - Major version number
Y - minor version number
Z - bug fix/engineering fix?
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:02pm
Sorry for the misinformation.  It showed up at top of my page and I got excited.

Yoram
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 2:37pm
Does the FAA act like a QA team, testing it and sending it back if they find bugs?  Or do they just ensure that the developer is following some onerous code documentation process?  It seems insane that it would be so slow/long to release this fairly limited feature set.  Doesn't give me warm fuzzies that Vantage is going to be along any time soon.

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:14pm
FAA primarily looks at documentation for compliance to applicable specs and regulations.  They do some auditing and sometimes are involved in flight testing.  Just to be clear, the FAA is not currently the source of the delay for 10.3.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

FAA primarily looks at documentation for compliance to applicable specs and regulations.  They do some auditing and sometimes are involved in flight testing.  Just to be clear, the FAA is not currently the source of the delay for 10.3.

I don't know all the steps in the update lifecycle, but at some point I assume it gets tested, and then beta tested, and then at some point submitted to the FAA for approval, etc.

Where in the process is the 10.3 update?
uncjump View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncjump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 2:01pm
"Just to be clear, the FAA is not currently the source of the delay for 10.3"

Can you expound on the cause of delay?  It's been blamed on the FAA for months now pending their approval supposedly since June/July, but this makes it sounds like it's Avidyne's choice?

If Avidyne's decision, why?

Thanks
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 2:03pm
I suspect that 10.3 will be available, when it is released.

* Orest
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:00pm
For the record, Avidyne has not blamed the delay on the FAA.  I won't go into the details, but I can assure you that it's not a choice.  We're not "sitting on the release", if that's what you're thinking.  
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:05am
I, and probably others, have posted here and on Avi's FB page that the delay is because of the FAA, based on a groupthink assumption that because 10.2 took so long to certify that the same problem is happening here. I've never seen anyone official from Avi say that, though.
uncjump View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncjump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 2:37pm
Thanks

When do you think Avidyne will release some updated information?  They spent the time over the summer touting the upcoming release, doing Webinars and training, saying it was coming in Q3, now we're at the end of Q4?  I'm obvious fairly ignorant of all the needed parties needed in a release, but if the ball is not with the FAA, the assumption would be it's with Avidyne?

So do we have a marketing play, a leadership focus shift, or simply a problem with the code needing revision?  Or when might we get some news.

Thanks
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 9:08am
It seems as though many people underestimate the work and complexity involved in making numerous feature updates to existing units and predicting how quickly those can be programmed, tested and approved for distribution.

Undoubtedly it can be very quick to predict how long that development will take and what unforeseen issues will arise.

By way of comparison I also own a CNX 80 WAAS GPS/NAV/COM. It was purchased and installed new by a Garmin dealer in Oct. 2004 (roughly 5 months after Garmin bought UPSAT).

While I patiently waited for Garmin to develop a software upgrade for the CNX 80 enabling it to serve a legal ADS-B Position Out source Avidyne came along in 2011 and announced the IFD 540. They designed and built it from scratch, got it tested and approved (among other things for ADS-B Out) and in Feb. 2015 it was delivered to my avionics shop who installed it with an AXP 340 transponder. I’ve been ADS-B Out legal and equipped since that date. I even did the FAA test and they immediately confirmed it was all working properly. 

On April 16, 2015 Garmin announced approval for software version 2.4 for my old CNX 80 *finally* enabling it to be an approved ADS-B out position source.

From my perspective Avidyne got to the desired end result (starting with nothing) far faster than Garmin did starting with the original WAAS GPS/NAV/COM.

Of course Avidyne has provided far more updates since 2015 (when my unit was installed) than Garmin ever has in the 17 years since I’ve owned my CNX 80.

So I would suggest that those very interested in these updates should exercise some patience and recognize just how far Avidyne has come in such a comparatively short time with these units.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:17am
Nonetheless, it‘s starting to look like the pessimists were right and the reference to Q3 was Q3 2022 and not 2021 as many assumed. :-(
Vince
SeanMollet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanMollet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

For the record, Avidyne has not blamed the delay on the FAA.  I won't go into the details, but I can assure you that it's not a choice.  We're not "sitting on the release", if that's what you're thinking.  

Next time I'm in the area, I'll bring by a care package of KC BBQ and cold beer. As someone in the business, I understand what it takes. Thanks to you and the team for plugging away at it day after day after day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic