Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

User Def Waypoints duplicated in FF FP Upload

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eloigorri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: User Def Waypoints duplicated in FF FP Upload
    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 4:12am
Hello,

New IFD550 User here running v10.2.6.1 and experimenting transferring flight plans from FF on my Ipad.

I operate from a private airstrip with no official ICAO designation, which I have set up manually as a UDWP in both FF and IFD FMS/WP, taking care to make sure the format and coordinates are exactly the same in both systems.  Let us call my UDWP VTSW.

When I transfer a FP from FF to the IFD containing UDWP VTSW, rather than match up the two UDWP's  - the IFD (I assume) - manufactures a new UDWP called FF001 with the exact same coordinates and uses that in the imported route.

If I transfer another FP from FF containing UDWP VTSW the new route references FF001 so it is matching the coordinates the second time around with its own automatically created UDWP.  Any future imports containing VTSW all end up as FF001 in the IFD imported route.

I then tried deleting my manually entered UDWP VTSW and editing UDWP FF001 name to VTSW, but stubbornly the next FP came in generating a new FF001.

Any suggestions where I am going wrong gratefully received!

Thanks - Eduardo

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 12:14pm
Hi Eduardo,

I suspect that ForeFlight and Avidyne haven't agreed on a shared protocol for transferring user waypoints. That is, a waypoint needs to be in both ForeFlight and Avidyne Jepp nav databases for it to transfer correctly, in either direction.
Vince
eloigorri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eloigorri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 12:43am
Thanks for the reply,
I am not sure the UDWP has to also be in the Jepp database. Given the behavior I have described, some form of matching is going on otherwise I would expect to see a new UDWP created inside the IFD every time FF sent one. I think that hidden away is an attribute or setting when a UDWP is created via a FP transfer as opposed to manually from inside the box.
I guess when I edit that manufactured UDWP the setting is lost and subsequent matching logic fails.

Cheers - E
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 3:36pm
You are likely correct. I tried to duplicate your problem in my aircraft today and was unable. I have UDWP in both ForeFlight and my IFD. I created a route in ForeFlight that included one of my UDWP. I then sent the route to my IFD. The route arrived correctly, including the properly named UDWP.
Vince
eloigorri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eloigorri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 6:36am
Thanks for trying that. At least it shows it is possible to work correctly. I just need to figure out why my setup is not behaving the same as yours?

Out of interest what long/lat format is your FF and IFD set to?.

Cheers  -E
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 7:59am
The coord format in FF is DD°MM.mm'
I need to confirm in the aircraft, but I believe the IFD format is the same.

Edited by chflyer - 05 Sep 2021 at 8:00am
Vince
eloigorri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eloigorri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 8:09am
Thanks. I have the same at both ends.
E
eloigorri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eloigorri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:00am
To close this out.  After contacting Avidyne support, it turns out that ForeFlight is responsible for resolving UPWP creation/matching and not the IFD unit.
I contacted FF support who were unaware of the issue (I was on v13.7), and last night I happened to upgrade to v13.7.1 ready to grab some screenshots form the cockpit to detail the steps to reproduce this morning, and lo and behold the UPDWP are matching up correctly now.

I can only assume something was fixed in the latest version of FF.

Cheers - E
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic