Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Trainer App for XPlane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD Trainer App for XPlane
    Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:50pm
Be on the lookout over the next few days for a new IFD Trainer app for XPlane which will be available soon on the app store.

The iPad app will automatically connect to an instance of XPlane that is running on the same network.  No plugin for XPlane is required.  We know it works with XPlane 11 and it probably works with previous versions.  You won't see a picture of the IFD if you zoom in on the XPlane cockpit.  Doesn't matter, though, because you'll have a nice big IFD running full time on your iPad!

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:01pm
Whoo hoo, sweet! I just built a sim with XPlane 11. Can’t wait to start practicing instrument procedures using the IFD 540 Trainer instead of a faux G* GPS. This will really help with proficiency.
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:21pm
Wow amazing!  thank you thank you thank you

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 2:28am
Looking forward to this. 

Now if you could make it work with the Redbird flight sim (BATD) that I use for currency ...
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 3:41pm
Well, thanks for that, a step in the right direction.

Any chance you will be looking at doing something similar for L-M's Prepar3d (P3D) ?

* Orest
Jmfmem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmfmem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:36pm
Oh my goodness! This is such good news. I have been waiting for this for a long time. The ability to use IFDs in the simulator environment is huge for me. It really increases my “muscle memory” of working the IFDs and thus my safety and competency in single pilot IFR.
Thanks Avidyne 
John Freeman
Memphis TN
Jmfmem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmfmem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:53pm
Do you know if the trainer can be set to drive the autopilot and interact with other instruments as a true nav/com 1 or nav/com 2?
For instance it would be great to have true VOR signal simulation to use with the IFDs.
Thanks
John Freeman
Memphis TN
Speedbird1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:28am
Excellent.  Thank you so much.  Have been waiting for this.  This is the sort of stuff that really adds value.  Again, thank you.

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Now if you could make it work with the Redbird flight sim (BATD) that I use for currency ...
Ditto for the Elite sim rig that I use for currency.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:39am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Any chance you will be looking at doing something similar for L-M's Prepar3d (P3D) ?
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Ditto for the Elite sim rig that I use for currency.
I'm not saying it's out of the question, but we're not currently looking at other flight simulators.

Edited by AviSteve - 20 Sep 2021 at 9:42am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Jmfmem Jmfmem wrote:

Do you know if the trainer can be set to drive the autopilot and interact with other instruments as a true nav/com 1 or nav/com 2?
For instance it would be great to have true VOR signal simulation to use with the IFDs.
Thanks
John Freeman
Memphis TN
Yes, it will do both of those things.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Jmfmem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmfmem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:47pm
Awesome!
Well now I’m checking the App Store about 5x a day to see when it will be available.  This really is a powerful development and I believe will help see more IFDs.
Thanks
John Freeman
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 12:18am
When can we expect it?  been more than a few days.

Speedbird1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:23am
I was going to ask the same thing. I've been looking for this for sometime now!

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:46am
I'm aware.  We're getting there...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Jmfmem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmfmem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 10:28am
Any update on availability?
Looking forward to it.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:41pm
For certified software, we have FAA rules.  For iPad apps, we have Apple rules :(  ...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
rfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 2:35pm
Just downloaded the app. Does the app send flight plans to x-plane or receive flight plans from x-plane? Unable to do so here. The com and nav interacts bi-directional. Is it possible to post a few notes regarding capabilities. Thx rf
Jmfmem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmfmem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:34am
I haven’t tried sending flight plans. In my initial use it seem to have a little delay or latency issue in communication over the network compared to the GPS internal to XPlane.    The autopilot when driven by the IFD seemed to be slightly out of sync but would eventually correct itself.  It has never done this before.  It was like the correction signals were out of phase and the autopilot was over correcting and going back and forth too much and overcorrecting.  This is only the initial attempts but there really doesn’t seem to be anything to adjust or configure.  It may be my network is slow. Overall though I am really psyched to have this capability now. Bravo Avidyne!
John Freeman
Memphis TN

doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 7:18pm
I wasn’t able to get flight plans to transfer to the default gps, is that possible?  Changing frequencies on the IFD also did not set them in the sim.  Hard to use without flight plan transfer because the hsi is slewed to the default gps.  Would be great as a windows app because then could embed it in an air manager panel.  

Edited by doog - 09 Oct 2021 at 7:19pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by rfriend rfriend wrote:

Just downloaded the app. Does the app send flight plans to x-plane or receive flight plans from x-plane? Unable to do so here. The com and nav interacts bi-directional. Is it possible to post a few notes regarding capabilities. Thx rf
The iPad app cannot share flight plans with the simulated Garmin.  However, the flight plan entered into the IFDXp simulator will override the flight plan in the simulated Garmin and, therefore, the autopilot will guide to the IFD flight plan.

The CDI button and the nav selector (above the CDI on the 172SP sim) on Xplane are tied to the IFD nav source selection.  The radios on Xplane and the IFD are tied together.

I'm sure there are other features, but they really should be pretty self explanatory.  The big key is that the flight plan is not shared, so you should ignore the flight plan on the simulated Garmin.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by doog doog wrote:

I wasn’t able to get flight plans to transfer to the default gps, is that possible?  Changing frequencies on the IFD also did not set them in the sim.  Hard to use without flight plan transfer because the hsi is slewed to the default gps.  Would be great as a windows app because then could embed it in an air manager panel.  
Not quite sure what you're seeing because the radios are tied together.  As I said in the previous post, the flight plan doesn't transfer, but you should just ignore the one in the simulated Garmin.  The autopilot will fly the one from the IFDXp trainer.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
timfwalsh01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timfwalsh01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:36am
Sorry if I missed this, what aircraft in XPlane 11 will this work with?  I have been trying a G1000 Cessna 172 and it appears the GPS/Autopilot is not working.  The comm/nav frequencies do get populated. Thanks, Tim

Edited by timfwalsh01 - 11 Oct 2021 at 10:19am
Tim Walsh
Clayton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 10:14am
I have not been able to get any xplane 11.55 aircraft model to connect yet. Could there be any network security protocols blocking the connection? Do rxp gtn plugins need to be disabled?
have tried disabling plugins but still not able to connect.

btw, foreflight has no trouble connecting to the sim, so I am stumped.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by timfwalsh01 timfwalsh01 wrote:

Sorry if I missed this, what aircraft in XPlane 11 will this work with?  I have been trying a G1000 Cessna 172 and it appears the GPS/Autopilot is not working.  The comm/nav frequencies do get populated. Thanks, Tim
I've generally used the 172SP (non-G1000).  I did just try the G1000 model and it ultimately followed the GPS but it did seem to wander for a while before it captured the path.  The iPad guru says if you cycle through the CDI options on the G1000 sim once, it will follow correctly.

Edited by AviSteve - 11 Oct 2021 at 12:05pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Clayton Clayton wrote:

I have not been able to get any xplane 11.55 aircraft model to connect yet. Could there be any network security protocols blocking the connection? Do rxp gtn plugins need to be disabled?

Could be that port 49707 is being blocked somewhere along the way (firewall, router, etc.).  The TrainerXp app looks for activity on that port to determine whether xplane is running.  With Xplane running, check your PC to see if that port is established (using netstat).
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Jim_CAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_CAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Could be that port 49707 is being blocked somewhere along the way (firewall, router, etc.).  The TrainerXp app looks for activity on that port to determine whether xplane is running.  With Xplane running, check your PC to see if that port is established (using netstat).
Steve - can you elaborate on what we are supposed to do with netstat? Any particular suffix we should use?  
I ran it but do not see anything that looks like a five digit port number.
Could you post an example of what we should be seeing?

I am able to see my position on foreflight running on my iPad but can not see it on the XP trainer.

I pasted the settings from X-Plane below.   Is there something I should changed so X-Plane broadcasts to the Avidyne XP trainer? 

Thanks

Edited by Jim_CAK - 16 Oct 2021 at 7:09pm
Jim_CAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_CAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Jim_CAK Jim_CAK wrote:

Steve - can you elaborate on what we are supposed to do with netstat? Any particular suffix we should use?  
I ran it but do not see anything that looks like a five digit port number.
Could you post an example of what we should be seeing?

I am able to see my position on foreflight running on my iPad but can not see it on the XP trainer.

I tried to paste the the settings from X-Plane below.   Is there something I should changed so X-Plane broadcasts to the Avidyne XP trainer? 

Thanks
gremlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:53pm
I'm in the same boat here, my x-plane network looks like the above, but I'm seing no connection. Foreflight is working on my ipad correctly, so I think the problem is with the ifd software. I did check in my iOS settings and the trainer app says it can use local network. 

netstat lists a lot of ports, 49707 is not one of them, but again foreflight works. I did try killing foreflight on my iPad and killing and restarting the trainer app in case there was a conflict, but no dice with that either

gremlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:07pm
I think I got it you also need to go into the WiFi settings on your ipad (for the access point you're connected to) and turn off Private network for that setting. Now the IFD is working

Jim_CAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_CAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by gremlin gremlin wrote:

I think I got it you also need to go into the WiFi settings on your ipad (for the access point you're connected to) and turn off Private network for that setting. Now the IFD is working

I just tried turning of the private network on the iPad for my WiFi connection - that did not do it.  The IFD XP trainer still says no GPS position.   I even rebooted the iPad - I am not sure what to try next.  

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Jim_CAK Jim_CAK wrote:

I did a "netstat -a -b".  Note that you have to run the command prompt in administrator mode in order for -b to work.  When I did that, I got a bunch of output in the command window, the but key line was:

UDP    192.168.1.180:49707    *:*
 [X-Plane.exe]

If you just do "netstat -a", you should be looking for:

UDP    192.168.1.180:49707    *:*

* note that 192.168.1.180 is the IP address, on my home network, of the computer on which X-Plane is running.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:59pm

I'm glad that worked for you.  However, the Wi-Fi settings on my iPad show the "Private Address" option is turned on.  So, that may or may not be a silver bullet for everyone.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Jim_CAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_CAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:05pm

I'm glad that worked for you.  However, the Wi-Fi settings on my iPad show the "Private Address" option is turned on.  So, that may or may not be a silver bullet for everyone.
Switching off the private address did not work for me.     I will keep trying.  
gremlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:16pm
So played with it a bit and it seems to connect in that the MAP shows the plane where it's supposed to be, but then setting a flight plan and activating it, then trying to get the plane to go there doesn't seem to work at all.

I'm using the latest version of the SR22 with the Avidyne panels and the DFC90 from Torque Sim
gremlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:29pm
netstat -b doesn't show explane.exe or anything resembling it having a port open, I just checked my firewall and have enabled xplane for both private and public networks as an attempt to fix, nothing. as I said foreflight is working just fine so I'm not sure what to try next.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 9:16pm
I have no idea what to do with this, but perhaps check the xplane Log.txt file for the following*:

E/NET: multicast_socket_udp::init: no valid sockets initialized with parameters (port 49707, ipv4 239.255.1.1, ipv6 ff03::49:707)
E/NET: Failed to init multicast *BEACON* socket, check log lines above for details!

* On my computer, the Log.txt file is located in the X-Plane installation directory.

My Log.txt file doesn't contain those lines, but my setup is working.  If yours isn't working and you see this message, post back saying so.  That may help isolate the problem.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
gremlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 1:42pm
Steve,

I see nothing like that on my machine in the log.txt file in the xplane direcotry the word multicast only appears in relation to GPU and the word port does not exist in the file.
rfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 5:07pm
I have noticed when using the x-plane version of the trainer that support for procedure turns and holds in approaches does not seem to function properly. Are there plans to include this at some point or does laminar not allow this?  Also will there be a version of the Avidyne 100 software that will work with the X-plane version of the trainer soon? I sincerely thank the employees at Avidyne that have put the time and effort into this software. Amazing!

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 9:18am
The xplane trainer does follow holds and procedure turns.  The autopilot must be following roll steering for that to work.  In the 172SP sim that I've used, the 55x needs to be in GPSS mode which means pressing NAV twice.

IFD100 10.3 will accompany the IFD 10.3 release.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 5:55pm
This may seem silly but its caught me a couple of times when using iPads with x-plane.  Be sure the iPads are set up on the same router as x-plane.  I have one of those routers that has two built in speeds (high speed and low speed) and when booting the PC and the iPads, it sometimes switches on me to the wrong router.  If you are not getting a GPS signal on the IFD, it may be that.  

Quick question for Steve,  Can you show a picture of your x-plane network screen, to see how you have this set up?  You could add a device via a port two ways.  Does send GPS signal to all apps have to checked or is your app automatically grabbing this?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 9:53am
Mine looks just like the one in the post above, except that I don't have "Broadcast to all mapping apps on the network" checked (because I'm not connecting xplane to ForeFlight).  Also, "Accept incoming connections" at the bottom of the screen is enabled.

There is one thing that I have noticed on my setup.  I use a laptop with a dock.  When the laptop is docked, it prefers the ethernet to WiFi.  So, if I start xplane while docked, it will transmit over the ethernet.  Therefore, the iPad doesn't see xplane and won't connect.  If I undock and then restart xplane, then the iPad will connect and everything works as expected.  So, if you're having trouble connecting and your xplane machine has two network connections, try disabling all but the one that your iPad is connected to.  Then restart xplane and see what happens.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 2:48pm
The trainer xp connects, started with Alert saying No COM with vhf radio and no comm with shadin ADC, NO GPS and No position initially.  GPS position goes away with a Green GPS in the upper right but that might be because I have the airport in the Flight Plan.  The Flight Plan entered on 540 does not appear on the Aspen 1000 or the GNS530.  I have no idea if it would navigate by it.

I have Accept incoming connections enabled. 

Comm radio is still XXX out now.  Initially it came up but I could not hear anything when I entered ATIS. 

The GNS530 is on the screen also and that seems to be working. (same freq I can hear ATIS)  

So in summary, No COMM,  No SHADIN ADC, not sure if GPS is active or not.  A new device does appear in the list on the xp network screen (says internal use).  Only one wifi network active.
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 2:47pm
Tip:You can not have an air manager GNS530 on the screen or it will override any comm/nav
 frequency.  With the GNS530 panel off in air manager, the comms work off the IFD xp. 

However, the IFD xp trainer does not communicate the flight plan correctly.  It will start to fly the course through the AP but then it seems to lose the GPS or something.  The GPS indicator remains Green on the IFD trainer but will deviate off the course within XP.  By this I mean it appears to be on the magenta line on the IFD map screen but is not aligning with either foreflight or FlyQ app.  The IFD xp will show the aircraft right over the VOR but within XP the airplane is actually 1 or 2 miles away.  It also signals that a turn is coming but stopped initiating the turn.  It did initiate the first turn (thats how I know the AP is working).  

On the Aspen screen the green arrow with GPS selected initially pointed at the next fix, but the HSI CDI and the box that displays the name of the fix/VOR appears to be still tied to the G530 that comes with the plane, even if I selected Direct to that fix,   The different nav sources (VOR 1/2) on the Aspen also point to the Navs (and displays their ID in the box)  that come with the plane, not the IFD xp trainer values.

I think Avidyne had a windows based trainer at one time, too bad that wasn't used for the IFD xp version.  It would more readily fit into the sim.

Kenny Rounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 11:42am
First off thank you so much for working on an XPlane tie in. This is a much anticipated item for me.

I cannot seem to get this to connect. As others have said I have Foreflight connected with no issue. I have tried two different IPads and sevealr different airplane models.

One thing that may help is the order that you are powering on the devices. Are you starting XPlane first then IFD Trainer or vise versa? Do you have wifi enabled within the settings on the trainer or off. I think even a basic set of instructions would be a huge help.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 4:53pm
I’m also not able to get the XP trainer to connect.  I notice it is supposed to connect to XPlane 11. My flight school has XP 10.5 on their “Fly this Sim” simulator.  Could that be the issue?
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 9:19pm
I have a FlyThisSim also, but I no longer use the aircraft that came with it and I also updated to 11.55.  The sim controls work fine but since the company went out of business the aircraft are not supported. 

I doubt that the FTS aircraft will work with this. 

But, Make double sure the ipads are on the same network on the router.  

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 9:29pm
Did you import new aircraft after updating XP ton11.55?  Are you still able to use 11.55 with the FTS controls, screens etc?   Would you message me what is involved in upgrading the FTS to 11.55 and adding aircraft.  Maybe if I pass on this info, the flight school will consider doing this.  I assume you are able to use the IFD XP trainer with your setup?
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 3:51pm
I have the FTS 100 with the three large screens.  I added the Cirrus panel that has the GPS530 buttons etc.

The FTS aircraft were awful and never worked well.  The xplane aircraft have much better models.  I recommend the vflyte arrow III v6.  Its very good.  Has a functioning Aspen 1000.

I just updated to XP11.55 (the betas have worked too).  I didn't bother removing any of the FTS plugins or aircraft.  

Everything works fine with the new aircraft using Air Manager for the instrument panel.  I added a "knobster" and that works great particularly with the Comms/Nav.  You can map the buttons on all of the FTS addons to xplane functions easily.

I added lots of scenary (ortho)  and use PilotEdge.  Their Fiske arrival app was awesome for AirVenture.

I can not get the avidyne system to work.  Wish they would devote some development time to a 540/550 addon instrumentation like Garmin did with the 750.  People use what they have available and they tend to buy what they are comfortable with.  Its a marketing and training tool that would be very beneficial.  I know a company that would convert he existing code over to a windows addon that would be compatible with Air Manager.

Edited by cavu - 05 Nov 2021 at 3:53pm
Kenny Rounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 11:01am
Well I found my issue.

I don't know if anyone else was making the same mistake I was. The key for me is that I had no idea there are two different apps.

I needed to download the IFD Trainer XP which is a completely different app than the IFD Trainer.

I was ables to get it to work with the default Cessna and S-Tec autopilot. Liek mentioned above I needed to use GPSS (hit NAV twice). It followed the NAV and also the ILS Approach. I have not tried with a full flight plan yet.

No luck so far on the Torquesim Cirrus but I am going to keep trying.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic