Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > Vantage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vantage feature request

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vantage feature request
    Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:44am
Hi:

Given Avidyne's new/increased relationship with L3, I'd love to see Vantage have the ability to have a full quorum AHRS setup using the two AHRS from Vantage + the L3 ESI-500 AHRS if installed. 

My L3 ESI-500 is awesome - and it has great I/O in terms of integrating the ARHS... it would be great if Vantage could take advantage of that for those that have them..

I would also love to see my ESI-500 have the ability to select which of my two IFD's I want to pull GPS from... but that's a feature request for L3....;-) 

Doug
N208LG
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 1:42pm
ESI-500 has its own AHRS, but unless you install it with a magnetometer, its not a full-up ADAHRS. You can pull heading from another ARINC429 source and almost have a fully redundant system, but to be fully autonomous, you need to install the magnetometer and OAT sensor with the ESI-500.  I think L3 builds a very quality product and the ESI-500 is a more robust unit than a Garmin275, G5 or AV-30C.

I have seen some ESI-500 with an external switch to swap between IFD1 & IFD2 Nav/GPS sources, but it would be nice if you could just run those lines to the unit itself.
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 3:01pm
I’m in on anything that will compete well against the big G. 
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 11:53pm
Yep. I have the full monty with my ESI: synvis + nav cdi + full remote mag + oat sensor... I think it would make a great addition to quorum with the vantage setup.

On the IFD/GPS selection - I so wish that L3 would update their software to allow what would essentially be identical to Avidyne's MFD "source tie" - i.e. select IFD1 or IFD2 and pull GPS/NAV data from the selected IFD.  What so strange is that the ESI-500 actually has all the hardware plumbing (i.e. pins) for doing up to 4 different sources... why they spent money on providing that hardware, yet didn't enable selection of the active source in software is beyond me.... my aircraft does have both IFD1 and IFD2's NAV/GPS ARINC's plumbed to my ESI-500.. however only one of them can be active and you have to specify which one(s) when you run the ESI configuration utility (ie. in the maintenance shop...)... ugh!

Other than that, its a fantastic unit... love mine!  Can't wait to add Vantage to the mix!

Doug
N208LG
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 5:08pm
I now get what you are saying on providing a quorum if one were to fail.  I run a GTX345 to show a 3rd AHRS on Foreflight (in addition to Entegra and ESI AHRS).  

Would also be nice if the ESI-500 would automatically switch to VLOC from GPS on an ILS approach.  
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 12:06am
Yep!  Apparently that slew information is conveyed by the IFD so the ESI could definitely auto-slew as well... another good addition!

In addition to my ESI-500, I have a stratus 3 that I use with foreflight to show a 3rd AHRS... it works OK but there are times when it simply lags behind my ESI and Entegra... I doubt I would use it in anything other than VFR (solid or marginal) weather... 

Doug

Edited by ansond - 20 Sep 2021 at 12:07am
D-EACY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-EACY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 10:12am
I'd really love to see the Vantage MFD  have a FLIGHT TRACK VECTOR. I always missed that on the Entegra MFD when I am trying to circumnavigate an airspace.

2006 SR22-G2 DFC90 IFD440
b2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 9:38am
I’d like to see a single screen option and tight integration with the STEC3100 autopilot.

I don’t need engine data/monitoring and wouldn’t want it taking up real estate with a single screen anyway.

Thanks

B55 Baron
Dual 540s, NGT-9000+, EI CGRs
janvan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 5:28pm
I have signed up for the Vantage release program for my Cirrus SR22. I just found out that the SIU that will be used to get the Engine Information has been discontinued and will only be repaired as long as components are available. Is there a plan for its replacement?
Jan
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:20am
Originally posted by janvan janvan wrote:

I have signed up for the Vantage release program for my Cirrus SR22. I just found out that the SIU that will be used to get the Engine Information has been discontinued and will only be repaired as long as components are available. Is there a plan for its replacement?

Yes there is a plan, but nothing to announce at this time.
Mike Salmon
Technical Marketing Manager
Avidyne Corporation
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic