Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

V with Arrow in FMS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V with Arrow in FMS
    Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 1:03am
On the 10.3 trainer, when on an approach, a LSK on the FMS page will pop up a V with an Arrow through it, looks like the Direct button. What is this?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 9:16am
That is a "vertical direct-to" function and it is part of the new enroute VNAV capability.  The button appears when the cursor is on an altitude constraint field.  When pressed, the IFD will compute a descent path from the aircraft position at that point down to the constraint altitude.  It will then start providing deviations to that path.  If you set up the trainer as a 550, you'll see the deviations on the SVS page.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 2:19pm
Aha, pretty cool.  How will this work in a Cirrus with 2 x IFD440, DFC90 and Entegra?  Would it actually couple to the advisory G/S?  
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 2:24pm
There's the rub.  The IFD will output the deviations, but on a label that, while it is standard, is not typically consumed by some equipment.  That includes the Entegra PFD and DFC90.

Yet another reason I'm excited for Vantage...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

There's the rub.  The IFD will output the deviations, but on a label that, while it is standard, is not typically consumed by some equipment.  That includes the Entegra PFD and DFC90.

Yet another reason I'm excited for Vantage...

Is this a promise??

I currently have VSR as an upper data block and find it very useful.  VNAV will be another nice feature.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 3:43pm
I'll probably regret this... Yes, I expect it to be supported in Vantage.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:28am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

I'll probably regret this... Yes, I expect it to be supported in Vantage.

No regrets flying my Avidyne panel - keep up the innovations and features please!
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 6:43pm
Steve, any chance to give us the label so we can check if our equipment supports it? I assume that by label you mean an Arinc 429 label used with EFIS like Sandel, etc.

Edited by chflyer - 02 Feb 2022 at 6:44pm
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:39pm
Vertical deviation is on label 126
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 9:01am
Any particular reason for choosing label 126 for vertical deviation? The Sandel 3500 list of supported ARINC inputs indicates label 117 for GPS/FMS vertical deviation.

Edited by chflyer - 24 Apr 2022 at 9:01am
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 1:33pm
117 is used for approach deviations (ILS, SBAS).
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic