Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Joining a Victor Airway IFD550+A/P

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KleyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joining a Victor Airway IFD550+A/P
    Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:45am
My apologies if this has been answered (15 times) before in these forums.  I also looked at the manual etc.

IFD550 w/Aspen and STEC55x A/P

I was flying a flight plan that had a victor airway, but was vectored off the flight plan.  After some time was instructed "fly XYZ heading to intersect V16 and then as filed".  (V16 was in the flight plan.)

Because I was in heading mode, the magenta GPS segment was incorrect.

Here's what I did:  flew in A/P heading mode, monitored my position and when I intersected the victor airway, choose the next waypoint in the flight plan and few direct using GNSS.  The IFD550 then automatically sequenced for the remainder of the flight plan.

Heres what I think I could do, activate the next leg in the IFD550 flight plan, hold HDG & press NAV on the STEC, and the plane would keep the present heading until it intersected the airway and then automatically sequence to GNSS only.  I wasn't sure if this would work so didn't try it in the air (and unfortunately, there is no STEC55X/IFD55 sim).  Can anyone confirm this works?

Further, if I'd selected the next leg and hit GNSS, the IFD would choose an angle to intersect, which could be different than the assigned heading, right?

Thanks for you thoughts!
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 1:09pm
I don't know about the STEC55X side of you question. As far as the IFD airway intercept goes:

When established on the XYZ heading, take note of where the IFD track line is projected to intersect the IFD depiction of the airway. 

If the next airway waypoint after point where the projected IFD track line intercepts the airway is already the IFD active (To) waypoint, just set up the STEC55X to intercept the GPS course as depicted from the XYZ heading (however that is done with an STEC55X). 

If the next airway waypoint after the point where the projected IFD track line intercepts the airway is not already the IFD active (To) waypoint, then make that waypoint the active (To) waypoint by initiating an Activate Leg to that waypoint. Then set up the STEC55X to intercept the depicted GPS course from the XYZ heading.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 5:27pm
Here's a thought, I have the S-TEC 60-2 and I suspect it is similar.

How about setting your heading to the assigned heading to intercept the victor airway but select both heading and nav mode together, the 60-2 will turn to intercept the nav source once you are within 2 dots? of the course, once you are back on course you can select GPS steering again.

This is the method I use for intercepting an ILS when ATC says fly heading X until established  blah blah blah...  I use heading mode and "arm" the nav mode.
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

Here's a thought, I have the S-TEC 60-2 and I suspect it is similar.

How about setting your heading to the assigned heading to intercept the victor airway but select both heading and nav mode together, the 60-2 will turn to intercept the nav source once you are within 2 dots? of the course, once you are back on course you can select GPS steering again.

This is the method I use for intercepting an ILS when ATC says fly heading X until established  blah blah blah...  I use heading mode and "arm" the nav mode.

I think that's only going to work if the segment to intercept is already the active leg.

The same situation arises fairly frequently when departing from an airport where the VOR is near, but not on the airport, and the airway begins at the VOR. You have to create a flight plan that begins at the airport but then insert the VOR and the next waypoint as usual. Then, make the leg starting at the VOR active and get ready to accept radar vectors to intercept the airway.

Rolfe

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic