Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holding Entry/Exit overshoots Holding Fix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guenter_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holding Entry/Exit overshoots Holding Fix
    Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 10:36am
Hi, 

when approaching the OSN VOR with HDG 109 (also IAF for EDDG RNP25) for a parallel entry into the holding: The magenta line is steering me to the holding fix (OSN) and AFTER passing the fix a turn anticipation occurs to intercept the outbound leg for the parallel entry, thus as the fix is handled as a must fly waypoint, what is not true.

This behavior shoots me complete into the non-holding side which is NOT safe in my opinion.

Further when exiting the holding the unit puts my to first overfly the fix BEFORE intercepting thereafter the outbound leg for the approach. This results in overshooting the outbound leg.

I have added screenshots:
  1. RNP 25 approach chart showing the OSN holding
  2. IFD440 screenshots from the 10.3 simulator (same behavior in my plane with 10.2 software) showing the scenario
  3. Garmin 750 simulator screenshots showing same scenario, where intercepting is fly by and smooth (and safe)

What is correct?
  • A: IFD440 is correct, because holding fix MUST be handled as a must fly waypoint.
  • B: Garmin 750 is correct, holding fix is handled as a fly by waypoint.
  • C: Both A&B are correct.

Any comments on that?

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 1:13pm

My answer is C

BTW – standard parallel hold entries are described in the AIM to be flown outbound on the nonholding side:

(a) Parallel Procedure. When approaching
the holding fix from anywhere in sector (a), the
parallel entry procedure would be to turn to a heading
to parallel the holding course outbound on the
nonholding side for one minute, turn in the direction
of the holding pattern through more than 180 degrees,
and return to the holding fix or intercept the holding
course inbound.

Either GPS method appears to keep the aircraft within the protected holding airspace as long as the entry is performed at or below the applicable max holding airspeed.

nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 8:42am
Think this way, turn in the shortest direction to parallel the "outbound course" outbound. Yes, that may put you on the "non" holding side for that first turn...

Here is an easy way to think about holding..

If you are within 70 degrees of the holding course at the holding fix, turn in the direction of "holding", if not, turn the shortest direction to parallel the out bound course outbound...   51-37?

Sauce
guenter_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guenter_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 6:22am
I agree, C is the right answer. 
Nevertheless Garmin makes it much more elegant and smoother especially when flying with GPSS and autopilot.
Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic