Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine stop w/Avionics on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfw11411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine stop w/Avionics on
    Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:29pm
It happens. Occasionally I forget to flip the Avionics switch off before shutting down the engine. Next week the shop starts upgrading my panel. Entegra panels go back to Avidyne for repair/updates. Two new IFD440s plus Skytrax and more. Yep, I'm excited.

So, modern electronics (think automotive) don't have problems with the engine shutting down first. Do I really have to worry about destroying my Avidyne components if I forget? Aren't protections built in to prevent such damage?
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:11am
I think someone may be pulling your leg.

Who told you this?
dfw11411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfw11411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:07am
I was taught this by my CFI. And the shutdown procedure has me turn off avionics before the mixture goes to cut off. I usually follow the checklist, but, as I wrote, I sometimes forget. I just was seeking some peace of mind with my new IFD440s.

I suspect this is vestigial, left over from avionics built decades ago that were not as robust or perhaps electrical systems which generated surges upon shutdown, but I'm not certain.

I was hoping Avidyne would weigh in on this.
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:56am
Originally posted by dfw11411 dfw11411 wrote:

I was hoping Avidyne would weigh in on this.

I did ;-)

You won't brick your IFD by forgetting to turn off the avionics master. Your IFDs can operate between 9-33 volts, and really isn't a problem unless you lose power during a database or software update. Cutting power to the avionics is no different than cutting power from the master switch...even engine shutdown would mean you're going from alternator output to battery, which would realistically be equal or slightly less than alternator output.

Edited by MikeS - 20 Jan 2022 at 9:58am
Mike Salmon
Technical Marketing Manager
Avidyne Corporation
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:09am
Mike, thanks for answering a question, many, were probably interested in...

Edited by nrproces - 21 Jan 2022 at 8:09am
Sauce
dfw11411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfw11411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 11:42am
Thank you! The "Newbie" label fooled me. :)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by MikeS MikeS wrote:

Your IFDs can operate between 9-33 volts, and really isn't a problem unless ....

It is not so much the voltage level, I worry about the potential for power spikes and other uncleanliness to the power supply during startup and shutdown, as the alternator ramps up and down. So I always isolate all the avionics unless the engine is running smoothly and alternator is on and stable.

Perhaps just theoretic, and today's electronics are likely more tolerant, but if you can, why not?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Jan 2022 at 1:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic