Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 and GFC500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD440 and GFC500
    Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:41am
I'm in the planning process for an avionics upgrade on my PA28-181

The plan was to put in an IFD440, 2xG5's, and a GFC500.  (Replacing a non-waas GNS430)

But the shop is reporting that technicians from Garmin and Avidyne have both advised them to not install an IFD440 with a GFC500, that it wont work right.

I know that several people have done this install, and just wanted to check if something had changed recently that would cause Avidyne itself to not recommend this install?  (I've heard rumors that the G5's now verify that its a garmin NAV before allowing it to drive a GFC500, is that true?)

I also have not verified the info the shop gave me about avidyne's recommendation.  And wanted to see if i could get verification on this forum? (or i guess i could call avidyne myself).

For now we've dropped the GFC500 from the install.  Kind of a bumer.
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:14pm
Just another note about this -- 

I got word from the dealer that sold me the IFD that the what i'm running into is that the combo of gfc500 and ifd440 needs field approval since the combo is not called out on the STC.

i dont think my shop wants to do a field approval. -- would be nice if this info was easier to figure out.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 4:10pm
the combination works correctly in my airplane with no error messages.  I have not upgraded to the newest software just out last week - v8.0 so I can’t say if they check the GPS source.  I’m highly suspect of that statement.  The G5 is on the Avidyne STC list and includes the autopilot software, so it is fine.  Probably a grey area, but many shops will connect the equipment.

Good luck with your install.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

the combination works correctly in my airplane with no error messages.  I have not upgraded to the newest software just out last week - v8.0 so I can’t say if they check the GPS source.  I’m highly suspect of that statement.  The G5 is on the Avidyne STC list and includes the autopilot software, so it is fine.  Probably a grey area, but many shops will connect the equipment.

Good luck with your install.
What version of G5 software are you currently using?
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:15pm
I installed the G5 latest version…8…and to date everything is working well.  I have 2 G5, GFC 500 and an IFD 540.  Love the system
Frank
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Froethel Froethel wrote:

I installed the G5 latest version…8…and to date everything is working well.  I have 2 G5, GFC 500 and an IFD 540.  Love the system
Same configuration here only I'm still on G5 software 6.82. 
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:48pm
.. talked to a few more folks today ..

the problem is just that some shops are unwilling to install the gfc and ifd together .. the problem my shop is pointing to is that the GFC stc does not call out the IFD.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:24am
See my post in the other thread on the same subject.

@ricardo, suggest to keep similar discussions like this in one thread. Having multiple threads on the same subject just makes the subject harder to follow.

@avisteve, could an Avidyne moderator perhaps merge these two threads?
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:42am
I don't know of a way to merge topics in the forum.  The only thing I could do is lock one of the topics and leave the last post with a link to the other.  That seems a little harsh.

I think a better approach would be just to make sure everyone knows about the other topic and ask that they post there.  Anyone reading this will now know of the other topic, "G5/GFC500 with IFD series", and can follow the link to go post over there...

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic