Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hold on radial at a certain DME

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fysiojohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hold on radial at a certain DME
    Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 11:35pm
Is there a more direct way to add an unpublished hold on a VOR radial at a certain DME? Currently I’ve only figured out a workaround by first having to make a custom waypoint, and then inserting that waypoint in the flight plan followed by then adding the hold at the newly defined waypoint. When in IMC, getting such a hold instruction from ATC is not uncommon, but this workaround requires way too many steps to accomplish. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Rainman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:30pm
One way to do it is to create a new waypoint and use the format LSK to select RAD/DIST. It will then bring up an editable box to allow you to select the fix, the radial and the distance. Once created, you can add that to the flight plan and specify a hold at that waypoint.
fysiojohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fysiojohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 7:25pm
While I appreciate the effort to respond, you repeated the exact workaround I pointed out in my original post. My concern is that this takes an awful lot of button pushes which takes the attention away from other matters while flying IMC. I was wondering if there is an EASIER method to input a hold on a radial at a certain DME, without having to go make a custom waypoint. Why can't we just input something like this: OTT/180/15 and have that create a fix on the 180 radial of the Nottingham VOR at 15 miles out?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by fysiojohn fysiojohn wrote:

....Why can't we just input something like this: OTT/180/15 and have that create a fix on the 180 radial of the Nottingham VOR at 15 miles out?

I have suggested that kind of entry format, and several others, as a quick entry, many years ago. Pretty standard in any FMS. A little disappointed it hasn't been implemented yet.

Here is the thread, from 2014!

http://www.avidynelive.com/feature-request-special-waypoints_topic432.html

Examples ...

Crossing radials:
JFK190/CYN100

rad/dist:
JFK190/25

5nm before a waypoint (eg. HOPCE) already in the flightplan:
HOPCE/-5

lat/long, N 47.0, W 080.0
N470W0800

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Feb 2022 at 9:20pm
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 8:47pm

I don't believe there is a better way of doing this.

BTW - I did find what appears to be an anomaly with creating custom waypoints using DME-only stations in the IFD Trainer. I found that if I tried to create either a Radial/Distance or Radial/Radial custom waypoint using a DME-only station (such as RFD or CGI), the waypoint was always created directly north of the DME-only station regardless of the radial I defined for the custom waypoint. This behavior did not occur when I built custom waypoints using VOR, airport, or other types of named waypoints in my limited sampling.

Edited by dmtidler - 03 Feb 2022 at 8:48pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:07am
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

BTW - I did find what appears to be an anomaly with creating custom waypoints using DME-only stations in the IFD Trainer. I found that if I tried to create either a Radial/Distance or Radial/Radial custom waypoint using a DME-only station (such as RFD or CGI), the waypoint was always created directly north of the DME-only station regardless of the radial I defined for the custom waypoint. This behavior did not occur when I built custom waypoints using VOR, airport, or other types of named waypoints in my limited sampling.
You did indeed find an anomaly.  It will be fixed in 10.3.1.  Thanks for reporting it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic