Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frequencies reset while switching profile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dominique-tanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frequencies reset while switching profile
    Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 9:10am
This is a very annoying featureā€¦ Having some time to spend at FL100, I deciding to create a new profile, and did not notice that frequencies were reset to 118.00.

What the hell could justify such a function? 

The safe approach would be to keep the active and standby frequencies unchanged, as I do not see the interest to switch back to 118.00.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 9:40am
I believe the Com frequencies only do this if the VHF kHz spacing is changed from 25 kHz to 8.33 kHz or vice versa. 
dominique-tanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dominique-tanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 8:20am
You are right! I just did the check with IFD trainer, and I could replicate the bug.

What is the point to have the possibility for the same IFD, flying in the same airspace, to have the possibility to have a user selecting 8.33 and another one 25 KHz???
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 1:47pm
Flipping the profile from 0833 to 250 does potentially have a valid freq reset, but not the reverse! Having the frequencies switch to 118.00 on a profile change, is much safer than having a frequency change from 125.383 to, what?, 125.375? You may not even notice that change.

It is normal commercial routine to force all frequencies, on all radios, to their lowest set on shutdown, to reduce the chances of not setting the com & nav to the correct frequency. There might be some validity to forcing that on the IFD as well, at least as an option, easy to reset your usual frequencies from the presets or recent freq dialog.

The other solution might have been to prevent a frequency spacing change when in the air, but then the profile definitions UI might need some work.

It seems the best of the imperfect choices here, is what the IFD does, forces a low freq set when the freq spacing changes.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Feb 2022 at 3:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic