Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Programming non published departure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Programming non published departure
    Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 9:30am
I am certain this has been asked and answered before but I'm not sure where to look. I have an IFD550, dual G5's and a GFC500 AP. Absolutely love this combo. Flying approaches is a breeze. My question surrounds setting up the FMS to fly departures at uncontrolled fields.

I have always hand flown my departures until established on course and then turned on the AP. I often fly from an uncontrolled field and get cleared direct. I set up the FMS with a simple destination and once airborne go "direct to" and make the climbing turn on course. By doing this I get no GPS guidance on the departure. Yes, I could put the AP in heading mode (and that may be the easiest thing to do) but I am wondering if the prudent thing to do is simply look at the approach plate for the opposite runway and manually insert the FAF for that approach as the first leg of the departure. Am I overcomplicating this? What's the standard for this?

I use my IFR mainly for punching through layers, not flying low approaches to minimums. So, in reality I'm nearly always departing VFR and turning on course prior to entering IMC.
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
midlifeflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midlifeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 9:53am
The FAF for the departure may not be in your cleared route. If not you reall can't go there. I assume you are not talking about "runway heading, radar vectors to..." For that you use heading mode with the "to" as the first waypoint. Perhaps you are talking about something where the first waypoint isn't even in the database and you need to create a user waypoint? If so, that's the subject of my video comparing doing that in both Avidyne and Garmin boxes. What I discuss thete can also apply to a non-charted ODP.

arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 10:04am
I am referring to the easiest way to program the gps for a departure that has the course (magenta line) on runway heading prior to turning on course. I don't intend to fly all the way to this point. I'd just a like my FD bars on the G5 to stay with me the whole time from departure until turning on course. If I don't insert a point at runway heading my FD bars are turned on course before my wheels are up.    

For example I am flying from KPGR to Destin (DTS) tomorrow. Lets say I got cleared direct DTS (very likely). Departing uncontrolled field it is somewhat up to me when precisely to make that turn towards my first waypoint (destination).

I'll check out your video. Thanks!
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 11:23pm
You can also just OBS on the departure runway or airport.

But, for initial guidance, setting up the FAF for the opposite runway might be a more hardy solution I think.

Of course, flying IFR, on a diverse departure, you are supposed to fly runway heading not a track, but for a short leg while uncontrolled and with no DP, that is more an academic discussion.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Mar 2022 at 11:25pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midlifeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 6:18pm
Some of this is dependent on your FD/AP. But if  it's just a simple "fly runway heading" just put the runway heading in your DG or HSI. If you want FD or AP to do it, just put  your FD in HDG and VS/IAS/ALT mode.  Flying a course or track would be wrong. "Runway heading" is a "heading," not a course. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midlifeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 6:19pm
I think sometimes we try to overcomplicate things by insisting on programming when it's just about flying,
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 12:54am
Originally posted by midlifeflyer midlifeflyer wrote:

I think sometimes we try to overcomplicate things by insisting on programming when it's just about flying,

The children of magenta thing. ;-)

Yes, you should always devolve down navigation to the simplest possible mode suitable for the situation, although never more than that.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Mar 2022 at 12:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic