Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gap in Route

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gap in Route
    Posted: 05 May 2022 at 4:14pm
So last night I was doing some IFR practice and put in the following route into my IFD 440

KFHR -> KPAE

then I hit [PROC] and entered the RNAV 34L from RARYO

What I got then was 

KFHR
--------- GAP IN ROUTE --------
RARYO
<etc>

Nothing I could do in the plane would get rid of that Gap In Route, in the simulator on my iPad if I Highlight it I see the lower left soft key says "Connect KFHR&RARYO" but last night in the plane I just had the gap, once cleared from vectors just had to hit Direct TO on RARYO

Why can't the IFD route from KFHR->RARYO it seems like a pretty straight forward thing to do, and the simulator seems to indicate it should work

thank you.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 6:19pm
The latest version of the simulator uses updated 10.3 code, and among many other things handles GAPs differently. That might be why you are seeing a difference.

* Orest
gremlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 2:56pm
Yeah I wondered if that's why I was seeing a difference. I'm still waiting for my avionics shop to get back to me on what it'll cost to get the 10.3 upgrade installed when available. Is it just a case of them plugging in some magic key and doing it or do they have to send the unit in?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 3:03pm
Usual firmware update is less than an hour, and you just follow the directions, very carefully! Most of the time, it runs unattended. Important to not lose power.

In the past, sometimes an Avidyne avionics dealer was required for the operation. You do not send the unit back to Avidyne.

* Orest
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 9:00am
You got the gap because the leg from the airport to the waypoint is a discontinuity. This is a feature that was missing from legacy navigators that you didn't know you actually needed.
There is no procedure from KFHR to RARYO, and a true FMS will not create one for you.
To connect these automatically would be to assume you were given this clearance by ATC, and can cause deviations and possibly a phone number to write down. Therefore, the logic is for the pilot to acknowledge the discontinuity and to manually connect it. The same logic is in the FMSs on heavies. For a reduction of approximately 70% in buttonology in legacy navigators, having to connect two points that don't make sense using 2 taps on the screen is a welcomed compromise. 
The reason you weren't able to connect it in the air was because the flight plan was active, you likely added the approach after KFHP > KPAE, and KPAE was the active leg. When this is the case, the step is to go direct to the waypoint after the gap, or activate the approach; either one will be correct.
One of the biggest things I tell pilots is to forget everything they learned when using the legacy navigators, because bringing over bad habits and expecting to see the same thing on the IFD will cause some confusion. 
We have a vast training library through multiple mediums to help you master your FMS such as free books, pilot guides, online training videos, webinars, and forums like these. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to reach out!  
Mike Salmon
Technical Marketing Manager
Avidyne Corporation
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 10:44am
Agreed on the training!!!  Going through the Bauer book versions 1 and 2
was invaluable, and I'll be getting version 3 with the upgrade to 10.3.  I can't
stress enough how much that helped even after going through the pilots manual
thoroughly a couple of times.   Bob
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 5:55pm
Yes, the Bauer books are an excellent resource, in particular because they are more scenario "how-to" based rather than didactic referential - the latter is more the job of the PG.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 12 May 2022 at 5:55pm
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 10:19am
I have seen the Gap In Route often (both on my IFD 540 and my 2004 vintage CNX 80).

Mike S. Described it well.

As a practical matter, at least out here in California, radar vectors are typical going almost anywhere.

My standard procedure is to load the full approach procedure knowing I will virtually never fly the full published approach. I keep flying as per my clearance until the radar vectors begin.

Having said that, if I do get cleared to an intermediate fix it’s pretty simple in the IFD to scroll down the approach fixes to the desired one and go direct once cleared.
roemeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 8:25pm
Even easier, once cleared for the approach, activate a leg inside the course (closer to the airport) than you're being vectored to intercept. The course will be extended beyond the outer waypoint and you'll intercept smoothly and easily. IMO, this leads to a smoother transition and gets you established on the final approach course sooner than a D> an inner waypoint.
Bobby Roe
N539SR, 2007 Cirrus SR22 TN
EX5000 PFD/MFD, AMX, IFD550, IFD440, DFC90
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 9:36am
Originally posted by MikeS MikeS wrote:

You got the gap because the leg from the airport to the waypoint is a discontinuity. This is a feature that was missing from legacy navigators that you didn't know you actually needed.
There is no procedure from KFHR to RARYO, and a true FMS will not create one for you.
To connect these automatically would be to assume you were given this clearance by ATC, and can cause deviations and possibly a phone number to write down. Therefore, the logic is for the pilot to acknowledge the discontinuity and to manually connect it. The same logic is in the FMSs on heavies. For a reduction of approximately 70% in buttonology in legacy navigators, having to connect two points that don't make sense using 2 taps on the screen is a welcomed compromise. 
The reason you weren't able to connect it in the air was because the flight plan was active, you likely added the approach after KFHP > KPAE, and KPAE was the active leg. When this is the case, the step is to go direct to the waypoint after the gap, or activate the approach; either one will be correct.
One of the biggest things I tell pilots is to forget everything they learned when using the legacy navigators, because bringing over bad habits and expecting to see the same thing on the IFD will cause some confusion. 
We have a vast training library through multiple mediums to help you master your FMS such as free books, pilot guides, online training videos, webinars, and forums like these. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to reach out!  

Mike, this topic comes up a lot.  Can you post a link here to the IFD540 resources you mention.

Geoffrey
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:40pm
Sure thing! 
Pilot Guides:
https://www.avidyne.com/product-manuals-guides/
Webinars On Demand:
https://www.avidyne.com/training/#tab-id-2
Michael Bauer book, "Flying with the Avidyne IFD", is available for purchase on Amazon, but if you are a current owner and have registered your equipment, you can get one for free from us by emailing pilotsupport@avidyne.com
The training videos that accompany the Bauer book are available here:
https://www.avidyne.com/training/#tab-id-3
Avidyne Avionics YouTube channel (For webinars and instructional videos):
https://www.youtube.com/c/AvidyneAvionics
Avidyne Tech Support YouTube channel for installation tips and tricks to supplement (NOT replace) the installation manual:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC10oYr-wNilSQrXTc5bOVw
New Customer Resources Knowledge Base Article:
https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/459-new-customer-resources/
Mike Salmon
Technical Marketing Manager
Avidyne Corporation
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic