Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Trainer XP User Guide??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C88atapult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD Trainer XP User Guide??
    Posted: 22 May 2022 at 11:26pm
Greetings,

Any User Guide out there for the IFD Trainer XP?  Before complaining about what I can't get it to do, I'd like to know what it's supposed to do.  I've looked on the Avidyne site to no avail.

Thanks
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 12:10am
You can download the full IFD pilot guide, the trainer runs the same code -- although the release IFDs are one version behind the current trainer, which already reflects an imminent firmware update.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 May 2022 at 12:11am
C88atapult View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C88atapult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 12:43am
@oskrypuch, I should have been more clear.

I am looking for directions on how to correctly connect the trainer XP to Xplane and how I can expect it to interact with the default plane models  on Xplane.

I've picked up some details from comments in the forums and a youtube video, but isn't there something published from Avidyne out there?

I'm specifically having trouble getting the C172 steam gauge HSI show course and glideslope when plane is approaching the PFAF. It happened once, then not again. Clicking the CDI mode didnt work the second time.  The plane shows accurately on the trainer moving map, it just seems like data is not being pushed to Xplane.

Thanks.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:00pm
There is no user guide specifically for the XP Trainer.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
BoeingBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoeingBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 1:19pm
"I'm specifically having trouble getting the C172 steam gauge HSI show course and glideslope when plane is approaching the PFAF. It happened once, then not again. Clicking the CDI mode didnt work the second time.  The plane shows accurately on the trainer moving map, it just seems like data is not being pushed to Xplane."

Me too. Having experimented a bit I've found that the XP trainer retains its memory of the first flight with the sim. It then retains the cache and won't change radio or coms freqs in subsequent trips. The solution is to wipe the app cache between every flight. (If your ipad has a home button, open the app, hold down the power button until the power down option shows, then hold down the home button whilst releasing the power button. Wait until the app shuts and restarts, and then recommence use. 

Also the networking settings in X-plane shows the ipad as 'sending but not listening' when things seem to work. When the connection is one way from x-plane you get the time out counter in seconds since last used and the radio nav section and frequencies won't work. 

I also find that if you switch from GPS to VLOC manually during a flight the No1 NAV won't return to GPS indications.  

Whilst this is a great trainer when it works, it seems that it's not very reliable and frankly as I'm currently working up for my IR renewal I've had to stop using it as I'm spending more time beating it into submission than actually practising routes. 

Edited by BoeingBoy - 24 May 2022 at 1:21pm
C88atapult View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C88atapult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:15pm
@BoeingBoy,
 You may have a point about the caching.  I've had success now by restarting the Trainer app (no cache clearance) AND restarting XPlane (tedious).

I've now been able to re-fly several approaches continuously by doing an XPlane Flight Configuration reset to put me 10 nm out on approach, then re-activating the appropriate leg on the Trainer app.  No reboot of either item were necessary.

Both the Trainer and the Xplane 430 had guidance mode set to VLOC (it was an ILS approach) and everything flew okay and the glideslope came in nicely at the PFAF.  

I wish I could be more definite about what I did/didn't do.  I'm working on my IR (checkride looming) and I'm looking for whatever practice I can get.

ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 3:38am
Originally posted by C88atapult C88atapult wrote:

@BoeingBoy,
 You may have a point about the caching.  I've had success now by restarting the Trainer app (no cache clearance) AND restarting XPlane (tedious).

I've now been able to re-fly several approaches continuously by doing an XPlane Flight Configuration reset to put me 10 nm out on approach, then re-activating the appropriate leg on the Trainer app.  No reboot of either item were necessary.

Both the Trainer and the Xplane 430 had guidance mode set to VLOC (it was an ILS approach) and everything flew okay and the glideslope came in nicely at the PFAF.  

I wish I could be more definite about what I did/didn't do.  I'm working on my IR (checkride looming) and I'm looking for whatever practice I can get.

I actually sorted a few things tonight.

the IFD XP app does drive the HSI needles correctly on xplane (on the C172 and the G5 instrument plugin).  (GPS pink needles)

what is missing, is that the IFD XP does not set the desired gps track for the HSI (so the needle is not pointing in the right direction).  and the XP app does not set the distance correctly for display on the G5.

-- but i configured the CRS increment/decrement dial on my honeycomb quadrant to change the HSI course, and then i can set the proper desired track by hand at each leg of the flight plan, and is a good enough fix.

Edited by ricardo - 26 Jul 2022 at 3:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic