Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 and Garmin G-5's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaillankm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 and Garmin G-5's
    Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 3:50pm
Recently, I've been having a problem with the IFD/G5's.  panel is as follows: IFD 540 updated to latest S/W, G-5's Updated to latest S/W, added a JPI EDM-830 to the panel (replaced the Insight G-2 and JPI-450).  What's happening:  on startup, the G-5 will not show proper startup sequence i.e. one dot up, one dot left for verification.  G-5's will show VFR.....only way I have been able to correct it is to power off the IFD and restart it.  this problem only started happening after the annual when I installed the EDM-830 (it shows fuel on the IFD like it used to with the JPI 450).  has anyone seen this problem before?
vaillankm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaillankm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 3:54pm
On same type of thread, I noticed that the when I'm testing the IFD with a Ramp tester for GS/VOR etc, it appears that I need to have the heading for the G-5's set to within 120 degrees of current heading in order for the GS indicator to properly function.  Note IFD 540 is set to vloc.  any ideas?

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 4:10pm
I have the exact same setup - dual IFD540s, Dual G5s, EDM830, plus GFC500 and a bunch of other stuff.  I have not had any issues through multiple software updates.

It sounds like a setting in the maintenance mode is not set properly.
vaillankm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaillankm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 8:37am
got it figured out.   Recently had to reload software for the 540 due to problems with accessing the maintenance mode.  Forgot one setting for the RS232 output.  It was for the EDM830.  Once I set the output for the 830, the unit has seemed happy and starts up the way it should.   Lousy weather up here, so have been unable to fly, but several avionics startups in the hangar with no further problems.   Thank goodness for iPhone photos…. I had photos of all the settings.  Avidyne tech support did suggest that I remove the RS232 output from channel 3 (has the gps feed to the elt and transponder) and put it on channel 1 where the gps output is for the EDM830.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic