Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jepp Download Manager problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallylancer122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jepp Download Manager problem
    Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 6:01pm
I went to download the latest charts this morning using the Jeppeson Download Manager software and it forced me to update to the new version (I've been declining for a couple months but didn't have a choice this morning. )  I downloaded the update only to get an error on install because I'm running Windows 7.  So I  can't use the old software and can't load the new software.   Anyone have any workarounds for this?  I have a trip tomorrow and would really like to have the latest data.

And yes, I know I should just update to windows 10. I'm IT cursed and that's going to open up another whole can of worms that I don't want to fight through on a tight schedule.  Would really prefer not to if I don't have to.
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 2:23pm
Ask family or a friend if they have a computer with a new OS that you can download JDM onto.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 2:57pm
That is going to be a Jeppesen problem, at some point that will become an issue for me too as I am running windows 10 on an older machine that is incapable of running windows 11. Considering I don't use windows as my main desktop I'll have to come up with a solution when the time comes.

-PA
daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 11:48am
My guess is that us Win10 folks will be fine at least until October 14, 2025 which is the end of life for Win10. They went two years beyond EOL for Win7. Actually seems pretty reasonable to me vis-a-vis Jepp support. 
------------
dave
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 12:06pm
Yes, I wouldn't be worried about Win10 support for a while.

FWIW, running Win7 right now, with no security patch support is a bit dicey, even as a single purpose device for Jepp updates. If you run a browser, you can bring trouble into the house that could affect other computers as well.

Win10 is generally a free update from Win7. I am pretty sure that is still available, there are many pages explaining how to do this LEGAL free update. The update itself was pretty straightforward on the many machines I ran it on, now years ago.

I am avoiding Win11 for now, let them get the bugs out. About half of my machines can be updated.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Jul 2022 at 12:08pm
Toadpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toadpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 9:53pm
I had an issue downloading Charts to my EX500 too. Charts updated fine on my IFD550. My first attempt to update I used the JDM App on an iPad, with Wombat, to transfer the files to my thumb drive. Again, my IFD550 updated fine, but my EX500 gave me a download error. I called Jeppesen, and they game me another Chart download for my EX500. I also went with Jep Tech Support recommendation to reformat my thumb drive (not quick reformat) and to use JDM Manager on my laptop. I am running Windows 10 on my laptop, and I too updated the JDM Manager at that time. After doing all that, it still gave me a download error on my EX500. I am going to call Jep next week and try it again, but it sounds like there may be a bigger issue going on.
Jeff Hullinger
1964 Piper PA-30 N97VP
IFD550/IFD440/EX500/AMX240/
RDR2100/GMX345/GDL69A/
SKY497/STEC60-2/G5 AI/G5 HSI
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Rallylancer122 Rallylancer122 wrote:

So I  can't use the old software and can't load the new software.   Anyone have any workarounds for this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-11-6-laptop-intel-celeron-n4020-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-star-black/6498805.p?skuId=6498805

Edited by MysticCobra - 10 Jul 2022 at 7:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic