Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using portable ADS-B receiver with IFDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmfmem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using portable ADS-B receiver with IFDs
    Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 11:08pm
Hello,
I've tried to read other posts about this and am still confused.  It appear the Stratus 3 and the New Sentry Plus have some ability to participate in an ADS-B wifi network with the IFDs and provide ADS-in traffic and weather to the IFDs.  There does not seem to be confirmation that the IFDs can then feed this data back to iPads and programs such as foreflight.  The ideal configuration would be a portable ADS-B receiver that feeds ADS-in data for weather and traffic to the IFDs and then have iPads with Foreflight and IFD100 that can connect over the same wifi network and utilize this same data while interacting with the panel IFDs.  Does anybody have a clear understanding of if this will be possible with any of the portable ADS receivers and the upcoming IFD 10.3 software? Of maybe someone is already doing this with the current software. Can anybody bring clarity to this subject for me?
Thanks
John Freeman
Memphis TN
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Jmfmem Jmfmem wrote:

Hello,
...The ideal configuration would be a portable ADS-B receiver that feeds ADS-in data for weather and traffic to the IFDs and then have iPads with Foreflight and IFD100 that can connect over the same wifi network and utilize this same data while interacting with the panel IFDs. 

Yes, that will be available in the firmware update about to be released. If you can get Capstone format ADS-B IN data on the wifi network, the IFD will see it and use it. However, the IFD does not "feed" that data to the portable devices (except to its own IFD100 app), they intercept it themselves and use it just the same.

The Stratus 2S and Sentry do not have an open ADS-B data out, so they are not compatible. Don't know about the Sentry Plus, but doubt it has that option.

The Stratus 3 is compatible, and can output Capstone, but the catch is that if you use foreflight it will insist that the 3 is instead set to the FF/Stratus internal format. The FF folks are working on a solution for that.

A variety of other wifi connected ADS-B IN devices will work just fine, as long as they have Capstone out.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Jul 2022 at 12:20am
Jmfmem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmfmem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:12am
Thanks Orest

Does anyone have a list of portable ads-b devices with capstone out. I tried to do internet search for such but did not get a clear understanding.
Thanks
John Freeman
Memphis TN
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:56am
The classic Stratux of course uses that, GDL90 or "Capstone", ADS-B output.

I would think that most units that use wifi, and aren't tied into some proprietary system, would use it.

* Orest
JohnAJohnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnAJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:06am
Also, not a portable but if you have a Dynon HDX, it outputs GDL90 over WIFI too and the IFD should be able to use it.
california210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote california210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:37am
Any possibly of Sirrus Xm portable Sxar1 unit pushing Xm weather to IFD?

Spoke with Dan at OSHKOSH said they have a new device in progress?

Anyone know or have any ideas please?
Steven
AndyMeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 5:38pm
John,

In the experimental realm, I feed the IFD540 with data via serial. Now, is that legal in the certified realm??? With a Garmin 430, I would argue that I can plug a non-certified GNS496 in and share data via serial. Why can't I plug my non-certified device in to a panel mounted certified radio via an industry standard interface. 

My Stratux feeds my IFD540 HSCaptone Traffic and Wx via serial. My IFD then feeds the WiFi devices (phone, ipad, etc...) with both traffic and weather.  This allows my iPad to share data directly with the IFD (Flight plans, etc...) while still sharing traffic, wx, etc... 

You can simply install a pair of wires (gnd and serial) between any device that outputs Capstone or Capstone high speed and one of the available serial ports on the IFD, set the data type and speed, and enjoy the great information now available!

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 8:49am
Yes, it's legal in the certified realm using NORSEE guidance for A&P approval as a minor mod.

Avidyne indicated in the webinar in April that 10.3 would also allow Capstone/GDL90 data via wifi into the IFD line, whenever that comes.
Vince
wildbilll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildbilll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 12:25pm
Can anyone help me understand the IFD440 version 10.3 wireless connectivity to a portable ADSB-In receiver?
How to tell if the IFD is actually connected to the wireless device?
I am using a Stratux and the IFD 440 with the 10.3 software sees it, I have the password correct for the Stratux and the map page displays "Regional Radar -- min. There is no weather being displayed displayed. There is no traffic showing. The Stratux connects to the IOS devices and Foreflight displays weather and traffic so I know the Stratux is working.
kurtfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurtfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 3:37pm
IT DOES NOT WORK WITH SKYVIEW.

it does work with a stratux. I had another airplane in the hanger. I configured the WiFi connection to connect to it and was able to see traffic on the IFD.

there are some new setup items that you have to configure it order to use, even if you only want to use Foreflight with your Skyview and IFD

In the IFD config you must enable WiFi portable devices.
After exiting config setup and reboot you must go to AUX SETUP page and enable WiFi connection. Then on the Networks tab you must select the Skyview network.

Then after a while you will get an green message that indicates you need to approve a device is wanting to connect to Avidyne. You have to go to the DEVICES tab in the user setup and allow the connection. you can select ALWAYS to avoid doing this every power cycle. Unless the IP address changes.
You will have to do this for Skyview system and for the Foreflight tablet.

Once this is set the Skyview and Foreflight will communicate with each other.
Kurt
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 3:45pm
Same results (or lack thereof) here.

I had been running Stratux version 1.5b1 since 2018.  I use FlyQ on my iPad and this has been working great all these years.  I've always wanted traffic on the IFD, but didn't really need it.

After the 10.3 update, I tried connecting to the Stratux from the IFD to see if the traffic would show up.  I got the "ADS-B Traffic Sensor Fault" alert, and no traffic at all.

I decided to upgrade my Stratux to see if that would help.  I upgraded to 1.6r1 (the latest), but have the same results.  Although one new development- now my FlyQ says, "Flight Simulator Connected" in addition to "ADS-B connected" and "Avidyne Connected".  I don't know what that's all about.  Something new with Stratux?

I have the Stratux set up as an access point with SSID "Stratux" and no password.  The IFD sees it and connects to it.  I have Capstone enabled in the IFD

FlyQ is showing traffic from the Stratux fine.  It also sees the Avidyne, but when I try to push a flight plan to the IFD with "Send to Avidyne" from FlyQ it gets a transmission error.

Has anyone out there gotten Stratux to work with the IFD yet?  What about FlyQ with the IFD?

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 7:17pm
SOLVED - I HOPE!!!

I should've read Kurt's post before I tried to set up the networking.  Thanks Kurt, for posting this.  This made all the difference.

I had stopped short in the setup.  I did 1 and 2, but didn't know about step 3!!

1. Turn WIFI ON
2. Select network, enter passcode if needed, and hit CONNECT LSK.
3. Go under devices, and ALLOW the devices that show up
   My Stratux shows up as 192.168.10.1
   My iPad with FlyQ shows up as 192.168.10.44

Now it seems to work.  I was doing this latest checkout in the hangar, so I didn't have a valid position most of the time, but everything seems okay otherwise.  I did get a good position for a minute or two and during that time I had traffic on the screen!! I need to get a test flight in to see if the weather comes on the screen -- I have no reason to think it won't, but I want to see it.

I'm also planning on putting my Stratux back to the old image I've been running for 4 years.  For some reason FlyQ thinks a Flight Simulator is connected, and I assume that has something to do with my updated Stratux image.  

I'm a little concerned because I wasn't seeing traffic on the FlyQ screen while connected to the IFD, but I was connected to the Stratux.  I need to get the plane up in the air to see how it all shakes out now that I have the devices properly "connected" to the IFD.

Edited by pburger - 04 Sep 2022 at 7:24pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 10:53pm
Any update on this?

I can get the IFD To connect to my stratux and iFly to connect to the stratux, but when I do this, I don't get the ability to transfer flight plans to or from the IFD, the interface in the iFly acts like it's not connected to the IFD. The only way for me to get the interface in iFly to show the ability to transfer flight plans is for me to connect iFly directly to the IFD with the IFD as the hotspot, which takes the stratux and it's weather/traffic out of the loop. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic