Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD-540 Present Position

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aviator52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD-540 Present Position
    Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:31pm
Hello,

Does anyone know how to get the IFD-540 to display an aircrafts present position in radial and DME from the nearest VOR? I transitioned from a King KLN-94 which had this ability with one click of a knob which came in handy when giving pilot reports to Flight Service. I don't see it addressed in the flight manual.

Thank you!
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:15pm
Upon first use after power up, pressing the NRST button three times will display nearest VORs with frequency, bearing, and distance information. If you navigate away from the nearest page, the subsequent first push of the NRST button will take you back to the last NRST page displayed (VORs in this example). The NRST page can alternatively be accessed by navigation to the FMS - NRST tab and using LSK 2L to cycle through the NRST displays.

Edited by dmtidler - 31 Jul 2022 at 10:18pm
Aviator52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aviator52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 11:31am
Thanks for the response. The problem here is that it gives the bearing to the VOR rather than bearing from the VOR to your present position. I don't want to have to do any more metal math than I have to though I know it is not difficult to do. Having the correct info in full view makes it easier as that is one of the items FSS wants to know when giving a pirep, especially when one doesn't do this often. 

Thanks again!
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 12:53pm
The Decoded VLOC IDENT datablock will give you the decoded identifier, radial, and distance from an active tuned VOR. It is pretty easy to directly import a VOR frequency from the NRST page into the Nav Stanby datablock either by touching the frequency on the NRST page or highlighting the frequency and selecting it with the Context Sensative Knob; then frequency swap it into the active Nav window for display in the VLOC IDENT datablock.

The Designated Waypoint datablock contains bearing, radial, and straight line distance to the designated waypoint. Changing the designated waypoint involves a manual input of the waypoint you wish to reference.  
Aviator52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aviator52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 1:41pm
Thanks, I hadn't thought of using the VLOC IDENT block as another way to display it. I recently found out about the Designated Waypoint way of doing it, but I haven't had a chance to do it in flight yet. Both ways work and that works for me.  

Thanks and have a great day!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic