Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Displaying ADS-B In data differently

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfw11411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Displaying ADS-B In data differently
    Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:15pm
Not sure where to post this question as it involves multiple devices, but I suppose this is as good a place as any! I'm curious about how different devices (and software) interpret and display ADS-B In information differently.

I have two new IFD440s, a recently refurbished Entegra 5000 MFD, and Foreflight on my iPhone. All receive (I assume) the same data from my new SkyTrax receiver.

TS cells display very differently with the MFD showing the most red while ForeFlight is barely registering the cell. In one case, it was a fairly small rain shower of significant rainfall, but the MFD was clearly exaggerating both the size and intensity.

But traffic is the bigger concern. The MFD displays the most phantom traffic, often within 5 nm and close to my altitude. The IFDs and Foreflight don't show anything and eventually the MFD clears the traffic. The MFD has never displayed a traffic alert on a phantom aircraft, but seeing something dead ahead at my altitude and closing fast raises my blood pressure a bit as I'm scanning the skies just in case. This happens quite frequently.

Considering my avionics are new or recently factory updated, can someone illuminate me? Thanks
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 8:45pm
Having same phantom traffic on the Entegra 5000 MFD with newly installed Skytrax 200, did not have any issues with MLB 100 but wanted the dual band.
The MFD randomly shows several traffic targets within 5 miles that are not showing on the IFD's or Foreflight, some disappear on their own, had to turn off traffic on the MFD as it was too distracting, which defeats the purpose of having it.
Will try to place a tech support ticket if it continues.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 12:42pm
Avidyne issued a Service Letter SIL Number: 606-00190-002 issued 09/08/2021,"A software bug has been identified in SW PN 510-00350-000 Rev00 with the 1090MHz receiver enabled that under some conditions results in a false target being shown with a bearing of zero degrees (directly ahead of the host aircraft)"
That was supposed to be fixed by the Service Bulletin 601-00190-002 also issued September 08, 2021, "this service bulletin describes the installation of SkyTrax 200 Release 1.0.1 software. This software release corrects a problem in the software that may result in the display of false targets when the 1090MHz receiver is enabled"
We just installed the Skytrax which was manufactured after the SB was issued and should have the updated software, but still getting the false targets, and they are around our airplane.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic